Residual Hearing

I already am. If I go back to Oregon, I'll automatically requalify.

They offered it to me last time. I chose not to take it at the time.

I'm considering taking it up this time around, but I'd like to know if it's possible for the right ear, as I can hear pretty darned well with my left.

At the last time I was tested, I was told that without my hearing aid, I had just 10% hearing left.

WITH the hearing aid, it shot back up to 80%. (Oticon Sumo DM)

Amazing, I'd say.
Kerio, one thing I'd do is take a gander on what the sound quality of a CI sounds like. We had a member who had pretty good hearing, but a "dead" ear. He got evaluted for CI, and REALLY wanted it. Then he heard what a CI sounds like, and changed his mind. It may be different with you... you might like the sound a CI gives.

Kerio, one thing I'd do is take a gander on what the sound quality of a CI sounds like. We had a member who had pretty good hearing, but a "dead" ear. He got evaluted for CI, and REALLY wanted it. Then he heard what a CI sounds like, and changed his mind. It may be different with you... you might like the sound a CI gives.

thats the reason why i would ideally like both ears implanted in the same surgery. Not gonna happen since they won't even give adults 2 implants in Ontario yet :(
O well,
*EQL*

For people with recruitment problems, has a CI surgery 'fixed' this issue? or do you still experience it with the CI? If it 'fixed' it, did it fix it because you lost any residual hearing you had, or because the hairs are no longer being stimulated?

Thanks!
*EQL*

It fixed it for me. I had recruitment so severe that I was unable to wear my Ha for long.

I don't know if my recruitment ended because I have almost no residual hearing left or if it's because my hair cell aren't being stimulated.

It's gone now and that's what important for me.

It fixed it for me. I had recruitment so severe that I was unable to wear my Ha for long.

I don't know if my recruitment ended because I have almost no residual hearing left or if it's because my hair cell aren't being stimulated.

It's gone now and that's what important for me.

hmm.. interesting. Thanks
*EQL*

And how would I do this? o_o

Part of the process looks at how well you do with a hearing aid. That's why I haven't gone for a consult, i believe that i'm doing too well with HA so i doubt i would qualify.

Can you get greater than 60% of very similar words (gum vs. gun and boat vs. bone) correct without lipreading?

If you have enough residual hearing that you are happy with the way hearing aids work for you than you want to think long and hard before going for an implant. I decided to go for an implant because I was frustrated with hearing aids and I really had nothing to lose in the ear that was implanted.

If your hearing loss is severe to profound you can always go for a CI evaluation. Even if you don't qualify at least you will have an idea of how hearing aids are helping you. If you do qualify you can either go for it or wait. The choice is yours. Just keep in mind that CIs are not perfect. I certainly don't have the hearing the "Bionic Woman " was supposed to have but I am very happy.

I'm curious if anyone out there has experienced this and if they could say what it sounds like. Do you hear both the signal from the CI and from your residual hearing at the same time? I guess maybe someone with an implant on only one side could answer this too.

No it blends together, but when they implant the device you do lose some of that so your tests will show that, you would more then likely go from hearing 50 % to hearing basically nothing unless spoken directly into the ear, loudly. Even then you probably would not understand what was said. I can hear without the device is something is spoken directly into my ear very loudly. So basically I am Deaf in that ear.

Can you get greater than 60% of very similar words (gum vs. gun and boat vs. bone) correct without lipreading?

Not sure. Haven't done that test in a while. In day-to-day though, it depends on the speaker. Some people I can understand in a quiet situation without looking. Some people I can't under the most ideal situation. Give me a list and i can probably tell me which one you are saying. Shot in the dark not as good.

No it blends together, but when they implant the device you do lose some of that so your tests will show that, you would more then likely go from hearing 50 % to hearing basically nothing unless spoken directly into the ear, loudly. Even then you probably would not understand what was said. I can hear without the device is something is spoken directly into my ear very loudly. So basically I am Deaf in that ear.

Speaking into your CI ear of the other ear? If its speaking into the CI ear, does that mean you didn't loose your residual hearing since you can still hear SOME without your CI?

*EQL*

Had hearing tests today for first time in 2 years after noticing that my low's had been affected during speech and language therapy, so they suggested to test my unimplanted ear, for some reasons my Audi thought that my unimplanted ear is right ear but it's left ear!! and the news is... Yep i still got all of my residual hearing post CI!! the audiogram for the implanted ear is excatly same as pre CI!
No change in my left ear but they notice that the HA isn't helping me anymore so they are looking into different HA.

Had hearing tests today for first time in 2 years after noticing that my low's had been affected during speech and language therapy, so they suggested to test my unimplanted ear, for some reasons my Audi thought that my unimplanted ear is right ear but it's left ear!! and the news is... Yep i still got all of my residual hearing post CI!! the audiogram for the implanted ear is excatly same as pre CI!
No change in my left ear but they notice that the HA isn't helping me anymore so they are looking into different HA.

wow.. thats awesome. what brand of CI do you have?
*EQL*

Cochlear Freedom (implanted July 2008) in good ear (90 sloping down db loss). Left ear 110 db loss was aided to 30db at 250 but today it was 50db hence loss of low's. i am now using unitron BE55DA hearing aid.
I was surprised at this because i was told i had lost it all just after the operation but come to wonder how do they know and why they didn't test us afterwards so i never thought about it until today. I was supposed to be tested in my other ear (left) but the audi got the wrong ear and this is how i found out that my residual hearing are still there and is same as pre implant but to be honest the sound was very different to the left ear. The Audi and the therapist were very interested in whole thing. As my left ear had not worsen, I had eardrum check to see if i have fluids, both ears were healthy so the problem lies were my Hearing aid, they have up graded my HA to something better for now to see if it helps.

Cochlear Freedom (implanted July 2008) in good ear (90 sloping down db loss). Left ear 110 db loss was aided to 30db at 250 but today it was 50db hence loss of low's. i am now using unitron BE55DA hearing aid.
I was surprised at this because i was told i had lost it all just after the operation but come to wonder how do they know and why they didn't test us afterwards so i never thought about it until today. I was supposed to be tested in my other ear (left) but the audi got the wrong ear and this is how i found out that my residual hearing are still there and is same as pre implant but to be honest the sound was very different to the left ear. The Audi and the therapist were very interested in whole thing. As my left ear had not worsen, I had eardrum check to see if i have fluids, both ears were healthy so the problem lies were my Hearing aid, they have up graded my HA to something better for now to see if it helps.

huh, cool. so did they ever test after the implant, or they just assumed that you had lost it all?
*EQL*

Never, they just assumed i lost it all just like everyone else. I don't think it's the standard to test hearing post implant, I don't why. Good question actually, will ask when i next see them.

Back