Residual Hearing after CI

Did you lose your residual hearing after CI?

• Total voters
vallee,

just curious. what kinds of sounds can you hear without your ci's?

loud sounds. I can hear the thunder and sometimes banging noise. When my daughter talks to me, I can hear some of the sounds.

But my trade off is not as much tinnutis as I have had. Finally in 30+ years, I can sleep in peace.

I have no residential hearing at all in my left ear after I got implanted but then my loss was in the 115 DB range. I've heard of others who still had some hearing left after the operation.

What an interesting thread. I just assumed, from all former knowledge, that when you got a CI you lost your residual hearing. So it is interesting for me to know that some of you retain some residual hearing. And Hear Again says the surgeries now are designed to preserve residual hearing. Guess I need to do some research on the development of CIs. I'm also interested in the results of the poll.

We aren't really sure how much hearing Miss Kat still has. It seems pointless though, because really, how much is 105 db hearing worth? Especially compared to her 15 db now!

What an interesting thread. I just assumed, from all former knowledge, that when you got a CI you lost your residual hearing. So it is interesting for me to know that some of you retain some residual hearing. And Hear Again says the surgeries now are designed to preserve residual hearing. Guess I need to do some research on the development of CIs. I'm also interested in the results of the poll.

I lost all of my residual hearing and part of it was due with my cochlea's being very small for the implant. Even in best cases I have never heard of a person residual hearing remaining the same as before the operation.

loud sounds. I can hear the thunder and sometimes banging noise. When my daughter talks to me, I can hear some of the sounds.

But my trade off is not as much tinnutis as I have had. Finally in 30+ years, I can sleep in peace.

when you're able to hear your daughter talk to you and you wear your ci, does it ever confuse you to hear a "natural" signal (without ci) and a clear signal (with ci) at the same time? i guess i'm curious to know what it's like to be able to hear some sounds naturally while at the same time hearing them with a ci.

i know one ci user who retained all of her residual hearing post surgery. she had severe-profound loss which remained the same after her surgery.

Not all. I'm sure the surgeons try, but as I said in my earlier post, just 2 months ago (this past November) when I met with my CI audi, she warned me I would lose all residual hearing. So it is not a sure thing by any means that residual hearing can be retained.

ci audi's warn people about the loss of residual hearing so they don't have to worry about lawsuits if a ci candidate isn't told that they may lose their hearing after surgery and they do. all ci's are designed to preserve residual hearing even though this doesn't always happen. when one opts to have a ci, the best thing to do is to have the expectation of losing all residual hearing.

when you're able to hear your daughter talk to you and you wear your ci, does it ever confuse you to hear a "natural" signal (without ci) and a clear signal (with ci) at the same time? i guess i'm curious to know what it's like to be able to hear some sounds naturally while at the same time hearing them with a ci.

Everything sounds so natural now. I can't tell the differences when I wear my CIs. I do take a break from wearing, like today and it is more difficult to understand her.

I can still hear some sounds without my CIs, but my residual hearing is not completely the same. My left ear lost the most. Since I had both ear done, I can't rely on the other ear. Another concern is auditory hallucinations. I can talk to a person and in my mind I can hear the way there voice sounds. So that at times makes me think I have more residual then I have.

it's ironic you should mention auditory hallucinations because i experienced them after my second ci surgery. my doctors said this was due to sensory deprivation (i.e. total blindness combined with the loss of all residual hearing). after taking antipsychotics for a month, the voices finally disappeared (i still experience auditory hallucinations when i'm manic or off of my meds, but this is because of my bipolar, not my ci's).

it's ironic you should mention auditory hallucinations because i experienced them after my second ci surgery. my doctors said this was due to sensory deprivation (i.e. total blindness combined with the loss of all residual hearing). after taking antipsychotics for a month, the voices finally disappeared (i still experience auditory hallucinations when i'm manic or off of my meds, but this is because of my bipolar, not my ci's).

Speaking of auditory hallucintions, I used to have bouts of them before I got implanted. Sometimes I'd hear sounds of drums. Other times, I'd hear what sounded like a radio station and I'd be hearing music and I wasn't wearing hearing aids. At no time did the voices ever speak to me. It was like they didn't know I was here. It mostly sounded like singing or an announcement. According to hearinglosshelp, what I was suffering from is called Musical Ear syndrome. It drove me crazy.

Speaking of auditory hallucintions, I used to have bouts of them before I got implanted. Sometimes I'd hear sounds of drums. Other times, I'd hear what sounded like a radio station and I'd be hearing music and I wasn't wearing hearing aids. At no time did the voices ever speak to me. It was like they didn't know I was here. It mostly sounded like singing or an announcement. According to hearinglosshelp, what I was suffering from is called Musical Ear syndrome. It drove me crazy.

interesting.

what you've described also sounds like musical tinnitus. i know of a few ci users who had that prior to implantation.

as for my auditory hallucinations, each of the 20 (or more -- i lost count, but know it was at least 20) different voices i heard spoke to me and commented on the things i did. they also argued with each other and were extremely loud.

now that i think about it, i experienced auditory hallucinations back in the early 90s for which i was given a mood stabilizer (lithium), but it didn't help the voices. my psychiatrist thinks these hallucinations were an original symptom of bipolar, but since i wasn't diagnosed at the time, we don't know for sure.

now auditory hallucinations are common for me whenever i'm manic or off of my meds. i only hear 4 different voices when i'm mildly manic, but can hear significantly more if i'm severely manic or haven't taken my antipsychotic or mood stabilizers.

Anybody else experience "hearing" music very quite music in the water at the swimming baths without ci and aid? I dont know if there is really music or its an hallunciations but I dont even listen to music?

It varies among CI users. Some reported no residual loss, some reported complete loss. I still have some residual hearing after my CI but it is worse though. The way things sound are a lot more muffled and unpredictable.

When a person go for CI, he should ALWAYS expect to lose residual hearing.

Anybody else experience "hearing" music very quite music in the water at the swimming baths without ci and aid? I dont know if there is really music or its an hallunciations but I dont even listen to music?

it sounds like what you have is musical tinnitus -- not auditory hallucinations.

as for not listening to music, but hearing it faintly, that doesn't matter because your brain is what's causing the sounds you are hearing. i never had enough residual hearing to hear high and medium pitched beeps or a fan turned on medium speed, but i heard them anyways following both of my ci surgeries.

I have been having that in my non implanted ear over the last few weeks. I have heard the voices of a choir (alto and soprano), Christmas music and here and there a big band sound thrown in. Go figure. Guess my brain misses music the way it used to be.

I can hear myself talking in the bath! probably just vibrations through water/bath tub.

Prior to the implantation on my right ear, my audiologist and surgeon had warned me that I *WILL* lose residual hearing. I knew that would happen after the surgery and didnt mind that at all. In fact, I had severe tinnitus for 15 years and had bugged me emotionally and my well being.

My CI had made the tinnitus demons to go away and never came back.

You loose most, if not all, residual hearing after the CI is implanted.

The documentaries Sound and furry and Through deaf eyes are my sources on that.

Back