Residental life or home which was better ?

josey

Reaction score
DD wants to go to a live at school for hearing HS students like a prep school.
which whas better going away to live at school or living at home ?

any input would be great

KIm

Well, it really depends on each person. I have done both, and to be honest I prefer at home. Im just a black sheep, and I don't like to get picked, nor bullied at school, so staying home is much peaceful for me. Of course some people from crazy families would want residential life more than at home.

I'd love being at the school all the time, because to be quite honest my parents talk to me by enouciating strongly every single letter of a word and they love to shout, so I sleep all day if I'am home just to be out of their sight. And when your scared to say pardon or what something's damn wrong, because they just have absolutely no qualms about treating me like shit.

besides the hearing /non hearing problem

Did anyone find that they gained anything from living away and more self relaint ?

Yeah, that's a plus...... I lived at school when I was in my twenties and LOVED it....it really helped me make me more independant.

besides the hearing /non hearing problem
Did anyone find that they gained anything from living away and more self relaint ?

OH YES thats for sure since I have learned to be independent and stronger away from home. Also it helps to adapt and accept my own deafness after all they forced me into a hearing child that doesnt agree with me. It s the best thing I lived in Deaf school because of keeping deaf children into a activities and communication without having too much limitation or isolation.

I have noticed Deaf people from Deaf school are very strong people and have already proved them we can do anything. We are not afraid to confront people out there. Thats when I always got trouble for what I believe in and stand up for Deaf children s rights. I dont give a hoot what people thinks of me because they dont know nothing about being deaf or do lie about us and our success in many things that makes a huge difference. Thats how I am.

:ty: ;)
Sweetmind

I know I never attended residential school, but my husband did, and since he doesnt visit AD, I will just share his experiences here myself: My hubby preferred staying home.

I understand that residential school provides a very different atmosphere where [D]eaf can be [D]eaf, and not be subjected to this awful hearing world. But, like it or not, a parents responsibility is to raise our own children, not to pass our kids off for someone else to raise. And, we all have to learn how to live in this awful hearing world, sooner or later. We can't hide forever!

I tinhk that I have a problem with this because

I feel she is running awayfrom home in a sense and I did go to "away" school as my parents are Deaf and thought I was not getting what I needed and I did like it but felt that it was a "dumping ground " affect and she belongs at home with me and her her family. I know were are going thru some changes here and stuff but really that aren't all that bad .

ty for your input and helping my make this choice
kim

Back