research

audstudent

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am studying audiology. My class is doing a research project on the deaf community and their perceptions of audiologist. Mainly we are looking for why the deaf community has negative perceptions of audiolgist. I would love to get some honest feeback from you guys! Thanks so much!!!

Part of it is probably cuz of how they treat their patients. I've had bad experiences with audiologists. Sometimes, they will treat my head like a ragdoll while shoving those in-the-ear devices into my ear. Yes, I mean... they literally SHOVED those damn things in my ears. They put their hands on my head and hold it roughly. They don't communicate with me well.

The other thing is the annoying hearing tests that they give us. I don't think it's entirely measurable. One part of the test requires us to press a button when we hear a high/low pitched sound. Well, what happens when you hear it over and over? It begins to repeat itself in your head. So, what happens next? I'm pressing the button for sounds that I think I'm hearing... but aren't really there. Another thing, the sounds are annoying enough that my head feels like it's rolling for each beep! Argh!

Back