Research paper posted

apkeats26

Reaction score
Alright, here is my final research paper, I don't feel like I went into enough detail, but here is the first half, and I will reply with the second half, due to the fact that I can't post the entire thing (Too large)...Enjoy

Different methods of communication that are available to the deaf

By Aaron Plaat

What comes to mind when people hear the word "Deaf," is usually a mental picture of a

person using sign language. While this is definitely a major method of communication in the lives

of the deaf, it is not the only possible option for communication. Just as there are many different

languages and methods that hearing people use to communicate, there are many ways of

communication that the deaf utilize. In the following, there wile be examples and information

about several different options of communication that are available to the deaf, as well as

different styles and methods of learning.

Technology for the Deaf

The internet age is upon the American society, which has embraced it wholeheartedly. People

can now communicate from any distance, and get a nearly instant response. There are many

different ways in which deaf people can communicate with each other. Email has been one of

the more groundbreaking methods of communication. It is easy, practical, and effective in

contacting others. One would venture to say that one of the principal forms of communication is

the telephone. With cell phones becoming cheaper by the day, the average person is constantly

exposed to this new staple in society. Unfortunately, a cell phone does not benefit the deaf to

the same extent that it does to the hearing market. The deaf can't use cell phones like hearing

people can, due to the fact that they can't talk on them. How are they supposed to

communicate when they are on the go?

A hot new trend in the American society is text messaging. Text messaging allows owners of

a cell phone to type out short text messages and send them to other phones or computers.

While many hearing people enjoy this feature, the deaf have embraced this technology

wholeheartedly. With many "Phones" that have been made solely for the purpose of text

messaging and data transfer, there are many options available to deaf people. This new

technology has many different uses, among these, deaf people can use it to contact each other,

and those in the hearing world. One of the best features on these phones is that most of them

are exactly like handheld computers, and support instant messaging services such as AIM,

MSN, and ICQ.These programs allow the user to chat with other people that use the same

service as them, as well as contact people who use regular computers to communicate. For

very affordable rates, one can get these services and have the ability to communicate while on

the go. This technology has helped the deaf immensely, finally providing them with a service just

like many hearing people enjoy and use.

Oralism

With a society that feels that members of a family should be somewhat alike, how do

hearing families deal with a newborn child that has been declared deaf? Oftentimes

there is the typical period of emotional distress; the child is different, and it will affect all

of the parents plans for his/her life. After this period of time, there is the process of

deciding what form of education the child will receive. For a hearing parent with a

deaf child, it might seem odd for the child learn a different language than the parent(s).

Oftentimes, the parent looks at the option of oralism and decides that it would be best so

that the two can communicate. While this mindset has all of the right intentions behind

it, it is not primarily for the child; it is there for the parent. The parent tends to think of what

would be best for the child and the parent. In this situation, one would venture to say that

the parent should be more focused on what is best for the child.

The idea of oralism was first conceived in a noble attempt to help the deaf. In 1880, at an

international congress of deaf teachers, the decision was made to try to help the deaf to

speak. Oralism, while mainly a failure, was incorporated into the school systems, and

sign language usage was banned. Sign language became a practice that was only used in

the far corners of a playground, and it would occasionally pop up in the lives of adults.

The reason that sign language was abandoned for Oralism was the fact that people felt that

the deaf were unable to express themselves appropriately. -Oralism was founded on the

assumption that the deaf are locked away inside intact minds, their only problem being

hat they lack the means to communicate their inner thoughts. (John McCrone, 1993)

This way of thinking is very easily justified; the deaf have no language, so what can their

inner minds be like? -The inner voice is almost like a programing language that we use

to exploit the natural animal hardware of the brain in new and distinctly human ways.

For deaf people, the lack of such an internal code makes it difficult, if not impossible, to

use their mental hardware in the same structured manner. (John McCrone, 1993) This

idea led to a difficult season for sign language users, when oralism was forced upon them.

Oftentimes deaf individuals raised solely on oralism and did not communicate well with it,

become angry at their parents for putting them through such a process. Imagine a 21-year-old

who has just started to learn sign language, because his parents insisted that he/she learn the

method of oralism. Research shows that oralism is a fine method of learning, as long as it is

paired with ASL, or another form of sign language. In essence, the person would be bilingual,

they could speak if they had to, as well as sign. Speaking with several deaf individuals and

researching their learning process, will clearly show that oralism paired with ASL is the best

possible option for a deaf child. Giving a deaf child both of these options will prepare him for

the best of both worlds, hearing and deaf.

Part 2

Total Communication (TC)

Total Communication (TC) is a learning method that involves almost all different

approaches to deaf communication: oralism, lip reading, and American Sign Language.

This approach has many various positive and negative aspects of it. TC is a very

versatile approach to communication with a deaf person, allowing him/her to be able to

communicate with nearly anybody. TC is not something that benefits the deaf person

alone, nor is it something that only the deaf person can use. -TC may be used by families

and educators. Since over 90% of parents of children who are deaf have hearing

themselves. (Moores, 1996; Rawlings & Jensema, 1977). Using TC opens up many

doors of communication for the deaf individual.

While TC seems to be the answer to many of the problems that currently regard

communication with the deaf, it is not without its problems. If a child is raised while

learning TC, what part of it will he/she learn and feel the most comfortable with? -Some

people feel that the problem with the total communication method of communication is

that the effort to sign and speak at the same time results in a poorer quality of sign

language. Not only that, some people believe that total communication results in deaf

children failing to develop fluency in either English or ASL because of the imperfect use

of both. (Jamie Berke) The problem is simple, can somebody really be able to focus on

three different ways of communication? Oralism, TC, and ASL are each a challenge in and of

themselves, much less all three of them combined. While this could pose a problem, TC is an

option that opens up all possible modes of comminication for a deaf individual.

American Sign Language (ASL)

American sign language is generally what people think of as "Sign language." The

people are right in their assumption, but oftentimes fail to realize that sign language is

just like many spoken languages. What is known as American Sign Language, actually

has roots in Europe. While there are many versions of it's origins. One of the main theories is

that in the 18th century, the Abbe De l'Eppe of France developed an early sign

language that contributed to ASL.

Due to the fact that people see the word "American" in ASL, many tend to think that it is a

form of English. -ASL shares no grammatical similarities to English and should not be

considered in any way to be a broken, mimed, or gestural form of English. In terms of

syntax, for example, ASL has a topic-comment syntax, while english uses Subject-Object-

Verb. In fact, in terms of syntax, ASL shares more with spoken Japanese than it does

with English (Karen Nakamura). ASL is its own language, and should be treated as such.

Being very popular among the deaf as a way to communicate, ASL is the main way that the

deaf communicate with each other, and those that know it.

Cued Speech and Lip Reading

A common myth among hearing people is that all deaf people can read lips. This is not true.

Lipreading is just another way that the deaf can learn and use to communicate with everybody

else. Lipreading is when the individual watches the speakers lips and is able to understand what

the speaker is saying. Deaf people are not the only people that can learn to lipread. Some

children are born natural lipreaders, hearing or deaf. Others need to be taught how to lipread.

This method is not always effective, due to the fact that certain sounds "Look" the same as other

sounds. While a deaf person can rely on lip reading alone, what is the most effective for this is

what is called "Cued Speech."

Cued speech combines lipreading with hand gestures to help show the lipreader what sounds

the speaker is making. There are 8 different handshapes, each which represent a different

sound, as well as 4 different locations where the hand is placed: The mouth, chin, throat, and

side. When using cued speech, the ability to understand somebody by reading their lips,

increases dramatically. The technique of cued speech is very simple to learn, and only takes a

few hours to commit to memory. Once learned and practiced, cued speech is an excellent way

for a somebody to help a lipreader understand their conversation.

Conclusion

In conclusion, here is a final summary of the contents included in this paper. I have learned

that there are many different ways for the deaf to communicate with each other and with the

hearing world. In my personal opinion, I can not say that there is a single way that all deaf and

hard of hearing people should learn by; some people learn different techniques better than

others. While TC does seem like the best option for a deaf child, one has to truly see what is

best for that individual. Explore different options, and see what is best for him/her. There are

many different options available to learn about, and the best way is to do research and see what

is best for the individual.

Bibliography

John McCrone, 1993, http://www.btinternet.com/~neuronaut/webtwo_features_deaf.htm

Moores, D.F. (1996). Educating the deaf. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co.
Rawlings, B.W., & Jensema, C.J. (1977). Two studies of the families of hearing impaired children. (SER.R.No.5) Washington, DC: Gallaudet College Office of Demographic Studies.

Jamie Berke, (1997). http://deafness.about.com/cs/communication/a/totalcomm.htm

Karen Nakamura, (July 13, 1995). http://www.deaflibrary.org/asl.html

:thumb: :thumb: :applause: :fruit: :applause: :thumb: :thumb:

I think it is a great paper. Good job, hope you will get an A! [I would say it deserves an A but I dont know how strict your professor/teacher is so ;) but it should guarantee anything higher than B+]

I never thought that you would put in the part about Cued Speech in your essay and I was part of that communication for years and that's how I became such an expert at lipreading...I can even read my mother's lips without her using her voice lol so it's how I learned to speak and write properly and stuff like that...because it's more linked to the English language than ASL is...so I'm glad you put it up there and letting people know that ASL is NOT the only silent communication that most deafies use.

Anyway, nice work and if I was your teacher, I give you an A lol

Last edited:
Beautiful Job Apkeats26...

Wow....Great Job...Awesome!!...I believe this deserves an A Plus...!! :thumb:

Good Job :thumb: Very Nice final research paper! I love it! :kiss:

Hi there
Nice work. I would have left the technology part out of the whole paper though, cos it has nothing in common with total communication, oralism, ASL, Rochester Method, SEE, etc... I had the feeling that it was more about these than technology. Anyway, hope the teacher gave you an A+. :)

I actually thought about that, but I left it in, not entirely sure why, but I did....cant' change it now.

Aaron: Wonder if you got an "A" or the big "F" ? :)

Actually, I haven't gotten it back yet. W/ 45+ papers to read, my teacher has been a little late, and she told us she was. I'll keep you all posted.

Back