Research about teenagers with CI

Which means they have not completed the one of the developmental tasks of childhood--identity formation. Until they are able toa ccomplish that, they will remain fragmented as suffer difficulties as a result. You don't have to accept my word for it--just read a little Erik Erikson or talk to any clinical psychologist walking down the street.

The obligatory dire warning of doom and gloom of some future event that may happen to ci kids whenever there is some report or finding that ci kids or teens are enjoying the benefits of their cis.

It's a collection of quotes from teens with CI's.

Call it research if you like, call it a load of garbage, call it whatever you want. I don't care if these quotes were elicited by 25 of the top scientific research gurus in the world, or if these quotes were obtained by walking up to CI teens and asking thier opinion in return for a candy bar.

The fact is that I now know some opinions of teens with CI's where before I did not.

I have no idea why (other than wanting background info on these kids to gague why they might have their opinions) there is such debate over this paper and whether it is scientific research or not.

I don't need a scientific study to know that kids like XBox, and I don't need a scientific study to know that kids don't like classical music - I know this from non-scientific indications of that. Now, If I take these indications and conclude that kids always like Xbox, or always dislike classical music, then that's me being foolish. However, that does not mean that the information I've recieved is worthless.

I never even considered that this paper would be considered as some scientific piece of data that proved any sort of hypothesis. Maybe some would, I don't know. It looks quite clearly to me to be a collection of responses from kids to certain questions. I don't see any conclusion at the bottom that says "Parents, CI kids are happier than those without, so stop on by the ____ center to get your kids implanted today at the low low price of $60,000."

I agree that this is not scientific data that would be quoted in a medical publication that is drawing some conclusion on the matter. I disagree that it is not of value as most of us are always (at least in part) relying on the opinions of those they talk to, and that is never obtained in a scientific manner.

You sure know how to cut through the BS and get to the heart of the matter!

Qualitative research is just as valid and reliable as quantitative research. Difference is in instruments and measurement. I read numerous qualitative studies, non of which have an anecdotal feel, because they have internal and external validity and have used reliable instruments and measurement. You can collect subjective data using objective means, and the same guidelines that apply to quanitiative research.

What makes this anecdotal is the extremely small sample size, no valid or reliable instrument, and no valid or reliable measures. Doesn't mean that the info provided is not true, but it cannot be genralized beyond the participants--the 29 people interviewed.

You are making your conclusions based on limited information about the methodology of the study, given that the pamphlet wasn't produced for the scientific community but for general consumption by parents. That gives it the anecdotal feel and it would be silly to compare the pamphlet itself to research presented in journals.

Well, we'll see if the research gets peer reviewed or not. The small sample, as you would know, is reflective of the small population in the UK currently and typical response rates. However, this can be addressed by repeating with other studies.

I accept your word for it, almost all deaf people that have lived for a while know about this problem. I also happen to have a book about clinical psychology for deaf counselors(Counselling: the Deaf Challenge, not from Gallaudet Press), where pretty big parts of the book covers this. But guess the topic you bring up here is too hard to grasp for some parents that find composure in information from specific organizations, like the one we are talking about here.

Yeah, guess you're right.:| Problem is, its the kids that suffer the consequences. Shame! That's a great book, btw. I read it in grad school.

"I find it interesting that we are going quickly into a semantical dicussion when we dicuss wether this paper is relevant or not. This is a sign that this "research" is of little use. Research from universities are done to avoid this kind of dicussions, and "draw from it their own conclusions", like Rick states."

On the contrary, far from being of "little use", I find this research to be very useful and have said so. My reference to semantics is that I feel it is a red-herring and distracting us from talking about the findings of the research. The findings go beyond the typical discussion of "I know ci teens and they're doing great" versus "I know ci teens and they hate their cis" (and yes, I have been part of those discussions). It gives parents something they can evaluate and if so inclined, an organization to contact if they have further questions.

There are no findings, as there is no research design. Therefore, you have a collection of wonderful stories.

You are making your conclusions based on limited information about the methodology of the study, given that the pamphlet wasn't produced for the scientific community but for general consumption by parents. That gives it the anecdotal feel and it would be silly to compare the pamphlet itself to research presented in journals.

Well, we'll see if the research gets peer reviewed or not. The small sample, as you would know, is reflective of the small population in the UK currently and typical response rates. However, this can be addressed by repeating with other studies.

Doesn't matter where it was published, or for what audience. There are certain guideline in writing a research report, and it includes experimental design, control of variables, DV,IV, operational definitions, measurement tools, as assessment instruments. If you don't report that, it means you haven't used it, which means you haven't done research. What you have done is an interview and told a few stories based on what was related to during those interviews. A court calls this inadmissable evidence based on hearsay.

Doesn't matter where it was published, or for what audience. There are certain guideline in writing a research report, and it includes experimental design, control of variables, DV,IV, operational definitions, measurement tools, as assessment instruments. If you don't report that, it means you haven't used it, which means you haven't done research. What you have done is an interview and told a few stories based on what was related to during those interviews. A court calls this inadmissable evidence based on hearsay.

If it the case that they haven't used proper research techniques, then it won't succeed in getting published in a reputable journal then, right?

Which means they have not completed the one of the developmental tasks of childhood--identity formation. Until they are able toa ccomplish that, they will remain fragmented as suffer difficulties as a result. You don't have to accept my word for it--just read a little Erik Erikson or talk to any clinical psychologist walking down the street.

Identifying with more than one group is not necessarily indicative of a lack of identity formation. Identity formation is important to one's sense of self; but not identifying strongly with a specific group doesn't mean you lack an identity.

I accept your word for it, almost all deaf people that have lived for a while know about this problem. I also happen to have a book about clinical psychology for deaf counselors(Counselling: the Deaf Challenge, not from Gallaudet Press), where pretty big parts of the book covers this. But guess the topic you bring up here is too hard to grasp for some parents that find composure in information from specific organizations, like the one we are talking about here.

Yea, I have been wondering the same thing. It seems like parents will gravitate to the success stories and when someone brings up not so successful stories or whatever, they seem to become defensive?

Well..something bad happened this week..A boy I know had to have emergency surgury cuz device in his head broke and it is possible that some irreversal damage was done. I am still waiting to hear word from the results of the surgery. *sighs*

Yea, I have been wondering the same thing. It seems like parents will gravitate to the success stories and when someone brings up not so successful stories or whatever, they seem to become defensive?

Well..something bad happened this week..A boy I know had to have emergency surgury cuz device in his head broke and it is possible that some irreversal damage was done. I am still waiting to hear word from the results of the surgery. *sighs*

That sounds terrible. Poor kid.

For anyone that is interested, the research relating to teenagers and CIs will be published by the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education (Oxford UK) this month, so it will have been peer reviewed. I noticed the abstract for the paper in Pub Med today.

That sounds terrible. Poor kid.

He is fine now..he should get his new implant activated sometime this week. Very curious to see how it works. The other one worked so well for him and he really misses it.

For anyone that is interested, the research relating to teenagers and CIs will be published by the Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education (Oxford UK) this month, so it will have been peer reviewed. I noticed the abstract for the paper in Pub Med today.

Hmm. I'll have to subsribe to it.

Identifying with more than one group is not necessarily indicative of a lack of identity formation. Identity formation is important to one's sense of self; but not identifying strongly with a specific group doesn't mean you lack an identity.

But not completely identifying with any will. As will denying a part of your identity that is obvious to the group with who seek affiliation.

I will be sure to look for it. Thanks!

He is fine now..he should get his new implant activated sometime this week. Very curious to see how it works. The other one worked so well for him and he really misses it.

Best of luck! He will probably need it. :fingersx:

Let me know how it turns out.

I found this the other day (I'm a research study junkie) and I thought the parents would be especially interested to read this. It was done by the National Deaf Childrens Society in the UK, which is a well thought of organisation there. 29 teenagers were interviewed and they were implanted as children. It contains some of their feedback, which I think would be very helpful for those parents starting out so that they can be aware of difficulties etc.

On a positive note, none of the teenagers were angry with their parents for implanting them as children. It's in PDF format so you will need Acrobat to read it.

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/document.rm?id=2302
This is now on this website;

J. Deaf Stud. Deaf Educ. -- Table of Contents (12 [3])

Under Empirical Article sections

Thanks for the link Boult. And I pulled the artile and read it. I believe if you will read the entire article, including the results and the discussion, you will find that this article, when taken in context with all of the information, supports exactly what shel and I have stated is the situation with deaf children who have been implanted. The article was taken out of context at the beginning of this thread, using only selected quotes. That is why it is necessary to have the entire article available for review when one discusses research in any form.

In addition, I would suggest that anyone reading this article also take the time to access the research articles (on the same site) as follows

Marschark,M., Rhoten, C., & Fabich, M.(2007). Effects of cochlear implants on children's reading and academic achievement. Oxford University Press.

Vermeulen, A., vanBon, W., Schreuder, R., Knoors, H., &Snik, A. (2007). Reading comprehension of deaf children with cochlear implants.

Marschark, in particular, is a well respected researcher in the field of cognitive psychology as applied to deaf individuals.

National Deaf Childrens Society(should be "National Parents of Deaf Childrens Society") did this one cooperation and with resources raised by Ear Foundation in UK. It's a "national UK charity to support and to provide activities, courses and resources for deaf children, young people and adults with cochlear implants, their families and supporting professionals."

Too often papers praised by pro-CI folks are labelled with "research", while no higher learning centres have been involved, and money are raised from CI/oralists organizations. I am happy the ASL society don't have to go this low, and can do a lot of scientific research favoring sign language.

Nothing new here really, just another advertisement brochure, let's move on.
There's a lot of crap out there (from both sides) that falls into this catagory. Personally I think this information should be viewed and considered. While you may think there is a hidden agenda based on affiliations, I don't see that in the information presented. While I agree with others that perhaps more of a sampling would be nice you have to remember that more than half of those approached for the interview declined. For me this information is not gospel but it is helpful in getting an overall picture. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the deafies in the UK are not as tied to a culture as they are in the US. I am pretty sure I read that from a deafie from the UK in another thread some time back.

There's a lot of crap out there (from both sides) that falls into this catagory. Personally I think this information should be viewed and considered. While you may think there is a hidden agenda based on affiliations, I don't see that in the information presented. While I agree with others that perhaps more of a sampling would be nice you have to remember that more than half of those approached for the interview declined. For me this information is not gospel but it is helpful in getting an overall picture. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the deafies in the UK are not as tied to a culture as they are in the US. I am pretty sure I read that from a deafie from the UK in another thread some time back.

That's one of the problems with using a self report survey for your measurement instrument, and for the way the sample was chosen. Researchers call it selection bias, and it does carry the probability of results that are interesting, but cannot be applied any further than the participants of the study. And you are correct about the cultural differences.

Back