Requesting Interpreter's

chrishrtmn

Reaction score
I was just wondering how most interpreters get contacted by those who request an interpreter's services? Do you (interpreter) have an account & contact info up with your agencies website or do you have it through a directory website such as RID.org? Do you get clients by word of mouth, phone directories in yellow pages, or other ways?

For those who aren't interpreters and are Deaf/HoH, how do you usually get a hold of an interpreter for a doctors appointment, local event, or business meetings? Do you have a favorite company to go through (Purple, other online agency, local agency, etc)? I'm trying to find the best way go to find interpreters/CART services.

I'm going to need to find a way to get someone that uses CART for an upcoming business convention, but don't want to go through the wrong agency/company with poor reputations.

Thanks!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

As a Hoh /Deaf client it depends on the situation. For Dr and other appointments, or for classes, conventions etc. I simply state when booking the appointment/class/etc that I need an ASL interpreter and THEY call the agency and book the professional & certified interpreter.

If it's for something personal I directly contact the interpreter agency here online or via email and set up the appointment that way. If I want to request someone specific I am able to do so (if they're available).

HTH

I was just wondering how most interpreters get contacted by those who request an interpreter's services? Do you (interpreter) have an account & contact info up with your agencies website or do you have it through a directory website such as RID.org? Do you get clients by word of mouth, phone directories in yellow pages, or other ways?
I've gotten assignments thru:
•Contract work
•Word of mouth and referrals
•RID directory
•Interpreter agencies

Thanks for the replies.

As someone new to this experience and in need of contacting someone for an upcoming event that can do CART services (text typed by interpreter and is displayed on website/chat), what would you say is the easiest process for this situation?

Browsing agencies that do CART (kinda a long process I think) in the area or look on RID for interpreters that support CART in the area and contacting them?

Thanks for the replies.

As someone new to this experience and in need of contacting someone for an upcoming event that can do CART services (text typed by interpreter and is displayed on website/chat), what would you say is the easiest process for this situation?

Browsing agencies that do CART (kinda a long process I think) in the area or look on RID for interpreters that support CART in the area and contacting them?

In my area the same agency that handles interpreters also handles CART and (written) transcription/translating services.

I'd contact the agency in your area and see if they provide CART - if they don't, they'll almost certainly know who you need to contact.

Thanks Anij and everyone.

What's the purpose of RID (besides certifications) if everyone likely contacts their local agencies for an interpreter rather than going through RID?

Thanks Anij and everyone.

What's the purpose of RID (besides certifications) if everyone likely contacts their local agencies for an interpreter rather than going through RID?

I'm in Canada - so that makes it a bit different for me.

That being said, if I was travelling to a place in the USA I'd never been before and needed to book a Terp, one of the easiest ways for me to do that (in advance, from Canada) would be to go to the RID directory and find someone in the area I was going to, and get their booking info that way.

People (individuals) who live in an area, government services, doctors etc usually go through their local agency, however if you travel (or a business is booking out of state) the RID directory is great because you don't have to spend time finding the local agency (hours on google, or 2mins on RID).

HTH

Last edited:
Back