Republicans tie minimum wage to tax cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Buckdodgers

WASHINGTON - Republican leaders are willing to allow the first minimum wage increase in a decade but only if it's coupled with a cut in future inheritance taxes on multimillion-dollar estates, congressional aides said Friday.
ADVERTISEMENT

A package GOP leaders planned to bring to a vote Friday or Saturday in the House also would renew several popular tax breaks, including a research and development credit for businesses, and deductions for college tuition and state sales taxes, said a spokesman for House Majority Leader John Boehner.

The wage would increase from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour, phased in over the next three years, said Kevin Madden, the aide to Boehner, an Ohio Republican.

The maneuver is aimed at defusing the wage hike as a campaign issue for Democrats while using its popularity to spur enactment of the Republican Party's long-sought goal of permanently cutting taxes on millionaires' estates.

Republicans tie minimum wage to tax cut

If Democrats are clearly the party for the people they would go for this.HERES THEIR CHANCE! Screw the other part let em have the tax break.Cause when Nancy Peloski becomes the speaker of the house in 2007 shes gonna turn right around and TAX THE HELL OUTTA THE RICH!!!

Enough already

Today's Oprah was about working people trying to live on minimum wage. She said that 30 million Americans were making minimum. These folks weren't just kids. They were cooks, EMTs, security guards, teachers aides, housekeepers, and so many other service jobs.

Enough already!! DC needs to raise the minimum wage NOW. Its buying power is almost nothing. Someone working full-time at $5.15 is still several thousands of dollars below line of poverty. DC wants to add things that will kill the bill, instead of voting on the wage hike by itself. Incredibly, this never happens when it's their raises on the line -- Yahoo said that lawmakers have had $30K in cost of living raises since the last minimum wage hike. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Um... the rich are already having the hell taxed out of them Ravensteve... something like the top 1% of earners pay like 40% of overall taxes.... about 80% of all taxes are paid by the top 20% of wage earners. You know that if you make like 100k a year, you have to give more than 1 out of every 3 dollars you make to the government?

I took a couple economics courses in college, but didn't get good grades in them cause I was too busy partying and blowing off classes, and even I have more of a grasp of economics than you. Yeah, the rich have gotten a little tax relief in recent years, but the most basic economics class will teach you that people with more money will spend more, and that helps spur the economy (just like it has done). So, since if you give a break to those that pay the most, they'll have more to put back into the economy, allowing things such as inflation and interest rates to both be low at the same time. If that money isnt being put into the economy, then interest rates and/or inflation Must go up, which is bad for everyone.

While I don't like the minimum wage increase being tied to the estate inheritance tax, but do believe minimum wage definately needs to be increased now, shouting TAX THE RICH doesn't help in any way whatsoever. Why not write your congress person and express your dislike of the bill and tell them you wont vote for them if they vote for this bill, instead of blaming the rich. Educate the public and have them write in to their congresspeople too. That's the way politics works.

Just cause you're not rich, doesn't mean you should blame them when they are in fact making life better for you.

What is the estate inheritance tax ? Excuse me I am not sure but to have the minimum wage with strings attached does not seem that good to me. There has to be no strings attached and the lawmakers should be ashamed of themselves a $30,000 raise ! It does not seem like the rich people are getting taxed if anything at all. I would like to see that rich millionaires and billionaires pay the taxes and we get lower taxes to pay which would be right and fair. I think the minimum wage should be more like $10. to $15. an hour. I think $7.25 is a good start and I am very surprised they are putting up a very stiff resistance which makes me :dizzy: because we all could use a very good pay wage raise ! It is about time !

Interesting link to a tax calcuator to play with.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

Also, keep in mind that there are also other taxes to be paid, like State and Social Security. Enter in some numbers.... I found that for 30k the percentage in federal tax was less than 14%, for 100k it was a little over 22%, and for 400k it was 30%. Add in Capitol Gains, State, Soc. Sec, and whatever other taxes.... it can get pretty outrageous. I know if I was lucky enough to be making 400k, I wouldn't want to give 40%+ of my income to the government.

Simpleman, can you answer my question please? The very first one. Thank you .....

SEE THATS WHY ID WOULD MARRY MY PET! Cause Look at this

I make $12,000 a Year Im Single i pay $1440!!!!In Fucking Taxes!
Now If i Marry my Pet and File Jointly id Pay $1200 If my Cat gets kittens thats a $500 tax credit bonus!!!If the IRS says Kittens and your cat doesnt count then ILL RUN TO THE ACLU!!! And Theyre change it for me.Just like the ACLU Defend women cases from being fired from their job cause theur bosses made em wear a dress to work.

Buckdodgers said:

Now If i Marry my Pet and File Jointly id Pay $1200 If my Cat gets kittens thats a $500 tax credit bonus!!!If the IRS says Kittens and your cat doesnt count then ILL RUN TO THE ACLU!!! And Theyre change it for me.Just like the ACLU Defend women cases from being fired from their job cause theur bosses made em wear a dress to work.

Gosh, If you are marry then you will pay more taxes than single does but depends on income.

Minimum wage in LA area is $9 per hours without health insurance and $10 per hours with health insurance.

Local story about this

Here's something from my hometown paper. I agree with him 100%.

Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA073006.01B.guerra.15fa7d9.html

Carlos Guerra: Caring for the least among us ensures the same when you need it

Web Posted: 07/30/2006 01:03 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

News reports about cynical efforts to raise the federal minimum wage by $2.10 — but only if it is tied to massive reductions of estate and other taxes on the super-rich — awakened memories from my childhood.
Luckily, I was born to Matilde Ramón Guerra, who always admonished my siblings and me that we would be forever judged by how we treated, in life, the least among us.

And she practiced what she preached.

We were all pressed into service at her little eatery in Robstown, Guerra's Restaurant, which I mockingly called "Guerra's Greasy Spoon and Gourmet Delights" when I would get to my high school classes after working three hours kneading dough for doughnuts and cinnamon rolls and frying eggs for the early morning regulars.

But now I treasure my long hours there because she taught me to cook — and fry perfect over-easies — and make sauces and salsas of all kinds, and heavenly leavened breads I still enjoy.

But it was also where my mother taught me a far more important lesson.

I never got a weekly paycheck larger than $18 for the many 40-plus-hour weeks I worked there. The real restitution, she said, was in the comfortable life we enjoyed in a home with both roof and floor, and where there was never a shortage of food or other necessities.

And like my siblings — and the real hired help at Guerra's Restaurant who actually earned living wages at the place — I remember la Señora instructing us that anyone who was destitute and hungry could always come into her little diner and be seated — with dignity — and be served a hamburger or a trio of tacos, and a drink without charge, and then advised to find their next meal elsewhere.

There would be no questions asked or admonitions delivered. Her rule was simple: Hungry people would be given food and drink, and from the time I was 8 or 9, when I started working as a dishwasher, then a waiter and finally a cook, we would provide for the less fortunate because one day we might need the charity of strangers.

"Nunca sabes si el que sirves es un ángel," she would tell me. You never know if it is an angel that you are serving. And we served them with a heartfelt smile — Mama's orders — and never with the expectation of reward (also Mama's orders).

Amazingly, the destitute diners often left a nickel or a dime tip for their less-than-$1-free meal, and it is the memory of those nickels and dimes — and my mother's teachings about sharing our bounty — that today prompt me now to join the chorus calling for an increase of our nation's minimum wage, which has been stuck at $5.15 an hour since 1997.

If you bought this newspaper — and certainly if you are reading this on the Internet — you are earning more than the $10,741 annually from working 40-hour weeks at $5.15 per hour. No, most who earn such wages aren't kids flipping burgers. They are adults, often with kids to support.

This isn't the America we want to leave our kids — and theirs.

Join me in celebrating what la Señora Guerra preached and practiced: Care for the least among us, with a heartfelt smile and with love in your heart. It may be an angel you're serving, and you never know when you may need the kindness of strangers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To contact Carlos Guerra, call (210) 250-3545 or e-mail cguerra@express-news.net. His column appears on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

minimum wages should be limited on vary city and states because all have different cost of living. My hometown are frickin cheap than my current home is.

You are filing your taxes all wrong. You file head of houshold you will get more back than you paid. There are so many loopholes in the US tax code that anybody making less than $20,000 a year should in the end never pay any taxes. But the IRS will not tell you that.

You are filing your taxes all wrong. You file head of houshold you will get more back than you paid. There are so many loopholes in the US tax code that anybody making less than $20,000 a year should in the end never pay any taxes. But the IRS will not tell you that.

But a Lawyer will.

Nancy Peloski becomes the speaker of the house in 2007 shes gonna turn right around and TAX THE HELL OUTTA THE RICH!!!
Oh by the way they already have the hell taxed out of them. Who do you think pays the bulk of the taxes in the US?

No that's incorrect..Actually you pay less taxes when your married. A single person pays more in taxes then a married person even less with kids

Gosh, If you are marry then you will pay more taxes than single does but depends on income.

No that's incorrect..Actually you pay less taxes when your married. A single person pays more in taxes then a married person even less with kids

That depends if both husband and wife are working.
If I was making $100,000 a year and my husband was making $30,000 a year he would have to pay in the same tax bracket as I would.
If he was single and making the $30,000 he would pay less taxes.

Yes that true also:)

That depends if both husband and wife are working.
If I was making $100,000 a year and my husband was making $30,000 a year he would have to pay in the same tax bracket as I would.
If he was single and making the $30,000 he would pay less taxes.

Thats why when you cant get chicks to say YES you marry your pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back