Republican Senator Comes Out In Support of Gay Marriage

StSapphire

Reaction score
Roy McDonald said:
You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing.

You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing. I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.

This. This is what our government needs.

No, we need a politician who needs to tell them to fuck off.
No, we don't need any more politicians using crude language. There's too much already.

I'm happy about this for 2 reasons:
1) obvious reason: support for gay people.
2) Shows that just because you are a Republican/Democrat does not mean you have to pigeonhole yourself to fit into the stereotype (repubs = conservative and dems = liberal)

But... I do agree with Reba... Why t f does he have to use the f word??? ;) Seriously, that was unnecessary.

For entire of post, no surprise for republican.

Supporting republicans are minority in gay community, however some gay conservatives goes for anti-gay republican politician over pro-gay democrat politician for some reason, especially distrustful with Obama and democrats.

In past, Republican Party was supposed to favor gay rights because their original view doesn't believe in government to interfere with gay people.

Yep. Another profanity spouting politician. Just what we need. :roll:

Most of us have no issue whatsoever with someone saying "fuck".

I understand you think it's profanity. Why? When growing up, I only learned that certain words were "bad" because adults didn't like them. As I got older, I learned that certain words were profane because they were being used to describe someone or something in terms that was both derogatory to whatever it was describing (because of the tone of voice and way it was being used) *and* to another entire class of people (women and homosexuals come to mind, when referring to "pussy", "cunt", "whore", "slut", "gay", "fag", etc). I agree that these terms are negative and should be avoided, though more because of the latter half (the classes of people that using the words as insults is demeaning towards).

However, then there's an entire class of expletive profanity. Like saying "Damn!", "Shit!" or "Fuck!" merely as a way to express extremely strong emotions, but the words themselves (with the exception of "shit", though most people can clearly tell you're not referring to human excrement at all) appear to only be inherently distasteful because... uh... well, that's just the thing. They doesn't appear to be any reason. People just think it's wrong "just because".

No, we don't need any more politicians using crude language. There's too much already.

Are you kidding? I can't think of the last time I've heard any politician say "fuck", especially in an official interview.

I'm happy about this for 2 reasons:
1) obvious reason: support for gay people.
2) Shows that just because you are a Republican/Democrat does not mean you have to pigeonhole yourself to fit into the stereotype (repubs = conservative and dems = liberal)

But... I do agree with Reba... Why t f does he have to use the f word??? ;) Seriously, that was unnecessary.

Yep, the underlying message is excellent (your point #2 especially). But I pose my above questions to Reba to you, too. Why not say fuck?

Most of us have no issue whatsoever with someone saying "fuck".
Depends on who "us" are. I guess we don't hang out in the same crowds.

I understand you think it's profanity. Why?
Because it's crude and vulgar.

When growing up, I only learned that certain words were "bad" because adults didn't like them. As I got older, I learned that certain words were profane because they were being used to describe someone or something in terms that was both derogatory to whatever it was describing (because of the tone of voice and way it was being used) *and* to another entire class of people (women and homosexuals come to mind, when referring to "pussy", "cunt", "whore", "slut", "gay", "fag", etc). I agree that these terms are negative and should be avoided, though more because of the latter half (the classes of people that using the words as insults is demeaning towards).
I didn't hear or see those words while growing up. They weren't used in polite society, at school, on TV, in the newspaper, or on the radio.

However, then there's an entire class of expletive profanity. Like saying "Damn!", "Shit!" or "Fuck!" merely as a way to express extremely strong emotions, but the words themselves (with the exception of "shit", though most people can clearly tell you're not referring to human excrement at all) appear to only be inherently distasteful because... uh... well, that's just the thing. They doesn't appear to be any reason. People just think it's wrong "just because".
No, not "just because." Each word has a specific meaning, even if some people use them without thinking of the real meanings.

It has always been my impression that people who use crude language are crude people with crude thoughts. Words don't spill out of our mouths unless they're already in our thoughts. It's a shame they can't find some other way to express their thoughts and feelings.

Are you kidding? I can't think of the last time I've heard any politician say "fuck", especially in an official interview.
They use other profanity and low class language, including sexist and racist language. Maybe not in formal interviews but when they've been caught in impromptu street interviews or in conversations with others that were recorded.

Last edited:
Depends on who "us" are. I guess we don't hang out in the same crowds.

Well, okay, granted. Should have said "many people".

Because it's crude and vulgar.

Right, you say that. Why? And "cause we didn't back in the day" isn't an actual reason. I'm sure you didn't say "internet" or "cell phone" back in the day, either.

I didn't hear or see those words while growing up. They weren't used in polite society, at school, on TV, in the newspaper, or on the radio.

Times change.

No, not "just because." Each word has a specific meaning, even if some people use them without thinking of the real meanings.

Words, especially vernacular terms, change in meaning based on how people use them. What "real meaning" do you get from the Senator's usage of "fuck" in his quote, other than that he was especially impassioned and/or frustrated about the issue to which he spoke?

It has always been my impression that people who use crude language are crude people with crude thoughts. Words don't spill out of our mouths unless they're already in our thoughts. It's a shame they can't find some other way to express their thoughts and feelings.

112151-lulzsec.jpg

Indubitably! Those scoundrel scallywags should certainly reform their proletariat thoughts and only behave in the manner absolutely fitting for a fine, upstanding citizen of the British Empire.

Wait, what?

They use other profanity and low class language, including sexist and racist language. Maybe not in formal interviews but when they've been caught in impromptu street interviews or in conversations with others that were recorded.

I agree that they use racist and sexist language. But those are offensive to specific people in their usage, whereas words like "fuck" or "damn" are only in and of themselves offensive because people think they're "improper". The way they are almost always used means that they're no different that "fiddlesticks" or "sugar" or some other equally boring exclamation that people from older generations deemed "proper".

Only idiots use that word. At least, I feel like one when I do. :)

I don't.

Well, okay, granted. Should have said "many people".

Right, you say that. Why? And "cause we didn't back in the day" isn't an actual reason. I'm sure you didn't say "internet" or "cell phone" back in the day, either.

Times change.

Words, especially vernacular terms, change in meaning based on how people use them. What "real meaning" do you get from the Senator's usage of "fuck" in his quote, other than that he was especially impassioned and/or frustrated about the issue to which he spoke?

112151-lulzsec.jpg

Indubitably! Those scoundrel scallywags should certainly reform their proletariat thoughts and only behave in the manner absolutely fitting for a fine, upstanding citizen of the British Empire.

Wait, what?

I agree that they use racist and sexist language. But those are offensive to specific people in their usage, whereas words like "fuck" or "damn" are only in and of themselves offensive because people think they're "improper". The way they are almost always used means that they're no different that "fiddlesticks" or "sugar" or some other equally boring exclamation that people from older generations deemed "proper".

I don't.

Words. Merely words. Wait till get get the wisdom only age can give you. :cool2:

I didn't say the reason was "back in the day." There were plenty of vulgar people "back in the day." The people I hang with now still don't use vulgar language.

I wasn't aware that internet and cell phone were profane words.

Times change.
Not always for the better.

The meaning I get is that he includes vulgarity in his life. I'm not impressed.

That's so funny I forgot to laugh. :roll:

You really have no concept of what you're saying, do you?

Proper language and behavior has nothing to do with what generation you are.

BTW, I never say fiddlesticks or sugar, and I have no need to impress anyone with my exclamations.

Back