Replacing Aids?

I like experimenting with new technology, but in the case of a pre-verbal child, doesn't the audiologist give you input on the fitting range and where the child stands in relation to her present aid?

Beat me to the punch. In the case of a child, the audi will be the best to determine replacement needs.

We've reprogrammed each time she's had a drop, but I'm concerned that since these are really "power aids" they could be turned up so high that they aren't really giving optimal sound.

It is not unusual. When there is a drop in hearing levels, and more amplification is needed to perceive sound, the additional amplification sacrifices some discrimination in the majority of cases.

no volume control!?!? nonsense! that's like having a tv remote control without channel/volume buttons

It's not nonsense, the volume control can be set by the audi, but I can not adjust the volume control because it is disabled, any adjustments needed occur automatically, the level is set to suit my hearing loss.

i think some people just want the "latest and greatest" technology just for the sake of having it. not me. i'd rather stick with what works, thank you very much. as i mentioned, i had a 15 year old pair of oticon 380P's that i was very pleased with. i'd rather continue wearing a good, functional set of aids than constantly upgrade to new aids that may or may not be better than the ones i had previously.

you have Oticon 380P, I still have work great is analog which I can adjust myself. now a day sell 1k ouch.... use to be cost 700 dollar last 1989's.

It's not nonsense, the volume control can be set by the audi, but I can not adjust the volume control because it is disabled, any adjustments needed occur automatically, the level is set to suit my hearing loss.

oh I wasn't calling you a liar or something. It's just that I never knew about this. mine's Oticon SumoDM

you have Oticon 380P, I still have work great is analog which I can adjust myself. now a day sell 1k ouch.... use to be cost 700 dollar last 1989's.

yep..... my oticon costed me a kidney and a leg..... :tears:

my oticon 380P's were used and yet they lasted 15 years (actually they still work after 4 years of having my first ci -- my ci audi checked them.). can you believe it?

yes. i still have my oticon 380P's from the 80s even though i now have ci's. i can't give them up. (i'm sentimental when it comes to these aids because they were the first pair i ever received and still work after 19 years.)

My analogue HA had adjustable volume, but my digitals have automatic volume set to my hearing loss, which I can't change. Analogue HAs are definitely louder, but digitals have more clarity and I get much less recruitment problems, which happened often with analogue. I think digitals can be set to prevent recruitment problems. I prefer digitals because of all the extra features they include, I have directional microphones too, which I find useful.

this is only my opinion, but digitals never worked for me. their sound quality was weak, distorted and greatly interfered with my ability to understand speech. the only thing my digital aids (oticon digifocus II super power bte's) were good for was hearing environmental sounds. for that, they were excellent.

as for directional microphones, i could never benefit from them since i had severe-profound loss.

In the uk children have to be seen every six-12 months and if their hearing loss has changed they provide children with the best aid for their loss

I normally replace my BTE HAs after they break more then twice a year. Repairs get to the point they start costing more then new aids. Can't seem to keep the aids dry even thought I put them in a dryer every night.
I'm only looking now because the Boss has noticed that I'm struggling to hear at work.

As far as digital sound vs. Analog I don't know the difference since I wear one of each. They don't make a Digital strong enough for the lost in my left ear.

Back