Rent to Income ratio

not really. it's still well and alive.

what's sad is that there are less and less hard-working people and more and more gimme gimme gimme people.

I know several people who lives with parents for free, even though they are married. They go away for vacation a lot. they told us, "why dont you guys go away for vacation " Duh we pay mortgage. you dont. Thats kind of attitude i am so stunned.

if you have a dream, work hard toward it.

my friend has IBS, Crohn's disease, etc. and yet... he's living his life to fullest.

I have IBS, that all but it was hard to keep under full control - change the plan, remedies, supplements, change the diet and exercise. I found way to keep stabilized for few days but went feel lousy for other day so feel better in next day. I know some people with IBS could keep under control and some people couldn't keep under control at all - the cases are different from person to person. I'm about half and half.

I heard about Crohn's, Celiac, other GI issues. For people with Crohn's - good treatment should help them into remission and lead to normal life. For Celiac - avoid all gluten containing foods (wheat).

You and I have medical issues. I am not sure which one of us has worse condition. But lets see who gets farther? I am currently fighting to get my life back and it is not easy but I believe I can, if you don't believe you can, then what can WE do? Its up to you.

At this time, I am on waiting game. Once I hear the judge decision on Friday Sept 13, I will decide from that point on where I am going, and what my next chapter of my life will be. From my experience, everybody has their chapters of life. Its like a book, not all chapters are the same.

Sure but I have medical condition that killed my dream - have deal with illness frequently.

With the owning vs renting debate IMO it's only worth it to buy if you plan on being there for 5 or more years. My long-term goal is to live in a house for 30 years so that I can pay off the mortgage so that by the time I retire I'll have a house all paid off and don't have to keep blowing my retirement fund on the mortgage.

Oh and the kicker is I plan on selling the house and use that to buy a sweet RV and live in it doing a permanent vacation til I croak :D

That's our plan as well. Hoping we get our house paid off by the time we retire and then sell it to buy an RV to travel.

I know several people who lives with parents for free, even though they are married. They go away for vacation a lot. they told us, "why dont you guys go away for vacation " Duh we pay mortgage. you dont. Thats kind of attitude i am so stunned.

Same here! My husband and I busted our asses to get where we are. We worked 4 jobs between us and now, we are enjoying having extra money but that doesn't mean we can go on vacation whenever we want. We still have to use the money to pay for repairs or save it all up.

I don't know why the parents put up with it. They are enablers.

We don't go on vacations. Once a year Hubby takes a week off to visit his elderly mother in another state. It's not a vacation. :giggle:

We don't go on vacations. Once a year Hubby takes a week off to visit his elderly mother in another state. It's not a vacation. :giggle:

:lol: I still think its a vacation for me when we visit my parents in other state since they moved back to north eastern from florida last November. I am so thrilled but In some way, its a little sad to know that that my mom is sick for so long time. SO I try to visit her as much as I can. My family comes with me sometimes too. BUT my mom is ok and still can be around. I hope at least a few years or more. my sister and bro in law have a second home that is very close to my parents new house. My parents live in a rental house, and will move into a new house next month if the house is all ready. YAY.

That's how I feel about taking a "vacation" to AZ to visit my family. My family wants us to visit them more often but if we do visit them, then we cant afford to go other places for vacation, like Florida, for one.

You and I have medical issues. I am not sure which one of us has worse condition. But lets see who gets farther? I am currently fighting to get my life back and it is not easy but I believe I can, if you don't believe you can, then what can WE do? Its up to you.

At this time, I am on waiting game. Once I hear the judge decision on Friday Sept 13, I will decide from that point on where I am going, and what my next chapter of my life will be. From my experience, everybody has their chapters of life. Its like a book, not all chapters are the same.

Hey!!! That's my court date for my divorce :D it's a Friday the 13th!! Seems kind jinxy huh? :eek3:

:lol: I still think its a vacation for me when we visit my parents in other state since they moved back to north eastern from florida last November. I am so thrilled but In some way, its a little sad to know that that my mom is sick for so long time. SO I try to visit her as much as I can. My family comes with me sometimes too. BUT my mom is ok and still can be around. I hope at least a few years or more. my sister and bro in law have a second home that is very close to my parents new house. My parents live in a rental house, and will move into a new house next month if the house is all ready. YAY.
When my mom was alive, we enjoyed visiting her in Connecticut. We could visit other family members and do touristy things. But mostly, she was a very upbeat fun person to visit with. Sadly, Hubby's mom is the opposite. It's a very draining experience, emotionally and physically to visit her. Our visits in the past were several days of hard labor and listening to accusations and complaints. Sigh....

When my mom was alive, we enjoyed visiting her in Connecticut. We could visit other family members and do touristy things. But mostly, she was a very upbeat fun person to visit with. Sadly, Hubby's mom is the opposite. It's a very draining experience, emotionally and physically to visit her. Our visits in the past were several days of hard labor and listening to accusations and complaints. Sigh....

:(

sorry to hear....

I am sorry that you have to deal with that.

Oh, that is so tough. sorry about it.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

There's detail information about which is better, to rent or to buy

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=0

You know for me, one of the biggest cons in renting is the close proximity to "my" neighbors especially the guy upstairs, who stomps around like an 800-pound gorilla. I prefer privacy and owning house can be a good investment and tax itemizing. You know, owning a home gives you stability (you’re not at the mercy of a landlord) and freedom (you can do what you want with the place.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

There is no win-win situation when it comes to renting or owning.

I still think renting a place is cheaper than owning a house for monthly to monthly. WHY? if the houses roof become old, who pays for it, me, window cracks who pays for it me, flood in the basement who pays for it me, etc.. If the house is in a perfect shape, then yes it s worht it!

I told my hub to rent a place to live instead of owning a house. :lol: of course my hub ignored me!

Okay. Rent vs owner. After 20 years and pay off of own a house. You want stay rent for 20 years then you wasted $220,000 ($900 per month plus raise) So when you become old and time to retired and sell house for $200k-$400k depend where you live and buy a RV around $90k or whatever and enjoy for travel. Also house's value will go up after 10-30 years. Like you buy own a house for $60k and lot to remodel, repair, blah blah and sell it for $120k after 10 years. Repair cost like $10k-$20k and you will get $40k profit. That's how I learned from my parent.

There is insurance for basement flood and roof if it got damage by weather. It's happen to few of my friends got new roof under insurance.

With the owning vs renting debate IMO it's only worth it to buy if you plan on being there for 5 or more years. My long-term goal is to live in a house for 30 years so that I can pay off the mortgage so that by the time I retire I'll have a house all paid off and don't have to keep blowing my retirement fund on the mortgage.

Oh and the kicker is I plan on selling the house and use that to buy a sweet RV and live in it doing a permanent vacation til I croak :D

Damn! You beat me! I agreed with you for everything!

Okay. Rent vs owner. After 20 years and pay off of own a house. You want stay rent for 20 years then you wasted $220,000 ($900 per month plus raise) So when you become old and time to retired and sell house for $200k-$400k depend where you live and buy a RV around $90k or whatever and enjoy for travel. Also house's value will go up after 10-30 years. Like you buy own a house for $60k and lot to remodel, repair, blah blah and sell it for $120k after 10 years. Repair cost like $10k-$20k and you will get $40k profit. That's how I learned from my parent.

There is insurance for basement flood and roof if it got damage by weather. It's happen to few of my friends got new roof under insurance.

6 years and still waiting for that equity. *tapping fingers*

Back