Remembering voices

Louby

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just a quick question for you please..... Approximately two years ago I went from having perfect hearing to becoming profoundly deaf within a very short period of time. I started to forget some sounds (birds singing, acquaintances, famous peoples voices, the news reporters etc) very soon after losing my hearing but I put this down to my psychological state at that time. It dawned on me earlier today that I can't remember the voices of some family members who I am extremely close to such as my sister. For those of you who weren't born deaf, have you experienced this? If you have experienced this, does this progress for the rest of your life until you can't remember anyone's voices? This is probably a stupid question but is there anything I can do to slow this down? Thanks!

Memory is an interesting thing. Oddly, you do not remember things as they were, you remember things from how you remember them last. This is why memories fade over time. To me, voices were the first to go... Sounds to me are like a book that I know but have forgotten... But once I pick it up and start reading I can recite... When I lost my daughter I was distraught over forgetting her laugh... I would hunt up a video and listen again and again swearing I would never forget again. Now, I know her laugh, but I know it as a thought, I cannot describe it. Maybe you have better luck, but do not stress so much. Concentrating on only what is lost can make you depressed. Smile more, and learn the vibration of their voices then you will precieve them in a way that is unique to you.

I do remember 3 of my sister's voices and I've been deaf 55 years...Remember my grandfather's voice too....and music, lyrics all the way back to the early 60's,,,never heard my kids voices...but have been told they have very Southern tones.

And I do remember animal sounds,,,cars....trains....etc.Feel those memories will remain intact until I bite the dust....

Last edited:
I am HoH and can't remember people's voices. Like if I hear them or talk on the phone I can, but just thinking about people I have no idea what their voices sound like until I hear them again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

When went to Liverpool last year I went Beatles experience and every voice came back to me I will always remember John Lennon voice when he spoke to me years ago and being in Liverpool and the connection also remember Roy Orbison
I was and is bird watcher and barn owl sound I have in my head
I get something called auditory hallucinations I can't explain it but think you hearing noise it brain thing blind get similar thing...I have no idea what this street accent is I have no memory parents for grandparents.i remember elvis voice but that how I remember them it poss not same as other do.As Jez says you drive yourself nuts if you try to hard.I trying learn music I read lyrics as I plug away

Back