Remember Pearl Harbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
We forgot pearl harbor a long time ago... As evident in us bombing other countries to this day.

It seems we have forgotten many of the lessons we should have learned during 2 world wars.

What I posted on my FB:

I may not have been here December 7, 1941, but I thank those that were serving that day, and their families. 70 years later, you and this day are not forgotten.

My father was a WWII vet.

I remember Peal Harbor every year as it is also my birthday. I saw on TV some famliy brought their love one ashes to Pearl Harbor to be put into the sea so they could be with their fallen brothers that dies on that tragic day . It was very moving.

I saw some of the Pearl Harbor memorial footage and think we should remember too....

THOUGH, for me, it's important to realize the CONTRAST of all the heroic and sacrifice-type sentiment with the fact that the U.S. forcibly put Asian-Americans in camps, during which time they lost their homes and businesses, and for a time refused to allow Asian-American men to enlist as U.S.soldiers. There's quite a dichotomy there, really and it's very easy to commemorate one event and gloss over the other, which is what always seems to happen.

My grandfather was in pearl harbor. He was a navy boy and told me his ship was hit by a torpedo but refused to talk anymore about it. I wish he had. I would to have liked to hear about it from a first person account.

I plan to visit pearl harbor one day. Thanks for the thread!

I remember Peal Harbor every year as it is also my birthday. I saw on TV some famliy brought their love one ashes to Pearl Harbor to be put into the sea so they could be with their fallen brothers that dies on that tragic day . It was very moving.

Happy belated birthday!:party:

My grandfather was in pearl harbor. He was a navy boy and told me his ship was hit by a torpedo but refused to talk anymore about it. I wish he had. I would to have liked to hear about it from a first person account.

I plan to visit pearl harbor one day. Thanks for the thread!

There is a very good reason that war veterans refuse to talk about their experiences. It was a traumatic experience that impacts to such a degree that they can't simply talk about it. They go through the experience of reliving it. It is very painful.

Generally, we think we want to hear those first hand accounts. Until, that is, someone actually tells everything that truly happened. Then we are very disturbed by it.

There is a very good reason that war veterans refuse to talk about their experiences. It was a traumatic experience that impacts to such a degree that they can't simply talk about it. They go through the experience of reliving it. It is very painful.

Generally, we think we want to hear those first hand accounts. Until, that is, someone actually tells everything that truly happened. Then we are very disturbed by it.

I agree... My SO is a Marine vet. He was in Somolia, I still to this day do not know what happened with him over there. I know some things that happened since he has scars. He does wake up from nightmares from time to time, I ask him about it and he will say he does not want to talk about it. I respect that. I can only imagine the trauma he been through mentally and physically.

My friend dad helped liberated Jewish people and he never wanted to talk about what he saw. He had photos and when he knew he was was dying he destroyed all the photos so his famliy would not see the horror of the Holocaust. My friend dad took all of his war memories to his grave, he only told them to the government.

I agree... My SO is a Marine vet. He was in Somolia, I still to this day do not know what happened with him over there. I know some things that happened since he has scars. He does wake up from nightmares from time to time, I ask him about it and he will say he does not want to talk about it. I respect that. I can only imagine the trauma he been through mentally and physically.

Part of the reason that they won't talk about it is a desire to protect those they care about from knowing the truth of what they truly experienced.

Part of the reason that they won't talk about it is a desire to protect those they care about from knowing the truth of what they truly experienced.

Last edited:
70th anniversary its bittersweet to honor for survive pearl harbor vets tell story in pasts but mostly pearl harbor vets can tell grandchild or great-grandchild story about grandfather in pearl harbor serve.

I would agreed with posts they wanted protect of pearl harbor vets story till reporter told that.

With all due respect to the Marines who dies on December 7th, I do want to point out, hundred of millions of more people would have died, had US not been invaded, because FDR had no intentions to enter WW2 unless absolutely necessary.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Why would any country go to war unless it's absolutely necessary?

My dad and uncles enlisted after Pearl Harbor. They did what they had to do. Why do you fault them for waiting until after Pearl Harbor? Seems ungrateful for the sacrifices they made. It wasn't like life in the US was easy at that time.

My critique is not directed against the heroes who made the supreme sacrifices, but merely at the assholes in the White House. My personal view, is that human lives are valuable, regardless of their national entity, and it is not enough for me, that Americans are safe, while the rest of the world is being ravaged.

I'm a pacifist, but you cannot be a pacifist and radical interventionist at same time.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Why would any country go to war unless it's absolutely necessary?

My dad and uncles enlisted after Pearl Harbor. They did what they had to do. Why do you fault them for waiting until after Pearl Harbor? Seems ungrateful for the sacrifices they made. It wasn't like life in the US was easy at that time.

I don't think he was faulting your dad and uncles, just the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back