Relay, VRS Problems Cost Deaf JobSeeker

Lnanaa

Reaction score
I found this letter on another forum and thought people here would be interested in knowing about this.

Dear Everyone:

I'm sure by now, everyone has had a chance in their lifetime to use a videoconference center, IP-relay video services, and/ or a Video Relay Service (VRS) (Sorensen). But, what I am about to reveal to you will be a nightmare for any deaf job seeker. It will make you think twice about using Video relay services or video conferences next time.

(Please note: The following information of the identification of two organizations have been protected. The only things that are not protected is : Kinkos, IP-Relay, and VRS / Sorensen.)

What do you do when you are out on a job assignment for the summer and a job opportunity comes up at your hearing home college? Naturally you are excited and can't wait to do the interview through something like a messenger. We all have MSN, Yahoo!, AOL AIM, and sidekicks. But, suppose your interviewer demands that you interview through a video conference? Naturally, you get surprised and shocked.

In my situation, I had to start hunting for a Sorensen VRS program to use. There was none locally until I had hooked on a web page like FedExKinkos (here in named Kinkos for short). They were advertising that they had a videoconferencing room. So, I make arrangement with my hearing home college and I get the number of thier video conferencing center and the appointment is set for the following friday afternoon.

Friday morning, I had e-mailed kinkos and asked them where I could find thier location and their video conferencing rooms. This place went far as to giving me the exact location from a transportation center. I took off for the place.

When I arrived, I inquired about using the room so I could have my job interview with my home college. This employee 'suddenly' (I use that term in quotes to say how convient it was for her) for got to tell me in e-mail that in order for me to use this video conferencing, I'd have to contact SPRINT (a telephone company). Sprint wanted the account number my college uses, the correct phone number to the room and would charge $235 dollars plus $40.00 an hour for the rental of the room. I was like, "what the hay"? They advertised it right on the web page as a video conferecing center. There was no mention of it being a business center. Again the employee explains that it was a business center and that Kinkos doesn't own the Video conferencing center, Sprint does and rents the space from KINKOS. In other words, where as a video conferencing center that is sitting out in view of the entire public view, sitting there and gathering dust and that is only used for business meetings. They had no webcams to use on any of their personal computers.

In a blind panic, I e-mailed the college to ask them to talk to Sprint and that I'd gladly reimbursed the college for the cost of the videoconferencing room for the duration of the interview. I wish I insisted on it. In a email reply from my home college, they said no need and that we could interview via netmeeting. The interview is post poned to the following friday.

In the week between, some one from my hearing home college suggests that I talk with a certain rehabilitation service in the area I'm doing my internship. I call them up and ask them certain questions. Chris E (as I'll refer to her as Chris) answers the phone for this place. Chris checks her calender and says the video conferencing center is available there and so is their IP-Relay center too. So I agree and I check with my home college. Everything is set for the following friday. With the confirmed phone number in hand, I set off again to have my job interview.

I arrive at the Rehabiliation place and Chris welcomes me. She leads me to the room where the video conference room is. After being prepared for my meeting, I dial in the numbers and press send. I hear the number dial and after a few mins, nothing happens. A sign comes up and says that the party is not ready on their end. I retry this a few more times. Same result. The interview hour is already started.

I go out to Chris and ask her where the IP-relay room was. She shows me the room, we try the IP-Relay. and the next thing we see, we get this message; "the number is not recognizd. The user is not registered.". I was shocked. I said "Are not Sorensen VRS and IP-relay the same"? (you could see the same set up on the TV that recognized the same way VRS is just like IP-relay.. only it was in differnt color.

A half hour was gone and I was running in worry. A quick tty call to the interviewer and ask them if his VRS system was working. He said yes it was working fine and had a call from another state earlier in the day. I told him I would get back in touch with him.

For the next half hour, Chris and I are trying both video conference rooms and the IP-Relay. We put the machines in dianostic modes to make sure they were working right. And they were. Chris suggests I call back the interviewer and ask to be interviewed over the phone. So I try calling him back.. he's not there.

Now I'm in blind panic.. I run to the VRS and trying to call the interviewer's number again. Same result. The system won't recognize the number. In Fustration, I call to the IP-Relay center itself. I quickly explain that" my boss has a VRS system and that I need to get in touch with him for a job interview. He's on a tty phone. Can you help me?" I quickly ask. The operator would get up and say she'd get her supervisor. But whatever she said.. her boss comes on and says "I'm sorry, the FCC rules prevent us from communicating with another system." and then coldly and cruel, she shuts off the system from HER END! I was like in total shock.

The next half hour, Chris and I pour over the situation. We suspected that IP-Relay and VRS do not work together. With the staff gone for the weekend, Chris invites me out for the Vocational Rehabiliation picnic where I could talk to them.

On that hot humid sunday, I was able to talk to several of the rehabiliation staff members about the IP-relay and VRS. They confirmed that IP-relay and VRS do not work together. They are like COKE and PEPSI that fight for the sales in stores and demand that a store would only carry one product line and not the other. But to me, it struck me how cold and cruel that IP-RELAY and VRS would force the deaf user to use one or the other system! In other words, we were being disciminated because of their anti-competitive pratices. We, the deaf, have to talk to all our friends and whatever what college or businesses use what video system they are using. Most popular is VRS. But WOE to you, like in my situation, that use a Video IP- Relay! You call will NOT go through.

To say it clearly, I lost my job interview. Why should it be that IP-Relay and VRS do not work together to make life easier for deaf consumers? They won't because they want MONEY and loyalty from the deaf just for using THEIR system. Their systems will ignore each other and as a result, a job seeker will end up losing the job opportunity based on their systems. It may take a huge court battle from several deaf clients to force IP-Relay to follow the ADA laws and work together. (just like in Europe, Europe forced Coke and Pepsi to SHARE the store! It will still not happen here in USA).

I hope you, as a job seeker or anyone else, will not go through the same results that I have. But, if you do, document it because the fault is not yours, but the makers of these systems that act like children who do not get along.

Any one else have a horror story?

Thanks,

signed.. a pounding job seeker still out there..

Seems to me this job-seeker was completely unprepared to do the videoconference interview.

The Kinko's episode makes me laff! Of course it costs money, it's a business center! Pricing found in online FAQ The $40/hr offer was cheap! ...and applicants should never pay for costs associated to an interview.

Sounds like the college handed out an ISDN number and not an IP number. The writer is complaining that Sorenson's directory server doesn't recognize the "ISDN" phone number, of course they didn't. You can be assured the college isn't using a cheap VC-100 (or DCV-1000) for true video "conferencing", so they won't be connected to Sorenson's directory server. Try a local community college that has ISDN videoconferencing.

"My boss has a VRS system and that I need to get in touch with him for a job interview. He's on a tty phone. Can you help me?"
A Video Relay Service cannot be used to call another service to talk to an end-party with a TTY. "Relay" is for Deaf-to-Hearing, or Hearing-to-Deaf. Not Deaf-to-Deaf, it is assumed that deaf people would use their own equipment to reach each other.

The job-seeker made their own mistakes here by not understanding how things work. Does the job-seeker even have a TTY, IM, VP at home? Use the relay services available and conduct the interview with the hearing person on a telephone and skip the videoconferencing. Later, take a trip and finish the interview in person.

Doesn't hurt to try again. Better luck next time.

Steve

I think you're right. Why couldn't he simply use the ip address method? Or get his own webcam for free from one of the VRS companies and use it on Netmeeting?

lnanaa, please direct us to the site where the comment was recorded so we can weigh in on their statements. It does us no good to make recommendations here that the person will never see. Thank you.

Now as for my take on the situation, it's too confusing to make out. First off, the interviewer INSISTS on videoconferencing?

Does that mean that the interviewer is able to communicate face to face to a deaf user? If so, why not an in-person interview?

Does the interviewer insist that the interviewee set up his own video interface, even though it may cost the interviewee a lot of money? That's discriminating because a financially poor candidate wouldn't be able to sink money into this kind of interview process.

I've done interviews via videoconference -- the interviewer coordinated with me FIRST to establish a location where I would conduct the interview, not "you have until Friday at 1pm to find a place that allows videoconferencing to call this number." We also tested the technology out the day before with his secretary. Some complications arose and we worked those out before the conference. Videoconferencing is a VERY COMPLICATED technology and there's no guarantee everything will work, with firewalls and network outages and all that. So, strike one against the interviewer.

Strike two: Interview via netmeeting? What if the interviewee didn't have access to a webcam or high speed internet? Again, unless the interviewer assumes the financial burden for these items, the interviewee will have to pay out of their own pocket for an interview that doesn't even guarantee them the job.

Strike three: The interviewer assumed that Sorenson's system was ubiqutious and that a "phone number" was adaequate connection information for the interviewee. SCREW THEM. Anyone who wasn't knowledgeable about Sorenson's system and how they don't allow anyone else to use their devices would be in the same boat. The bottom line is, their ignorance just prevented someone from getting a job.

It's not entirely the interviewer's fault. There is some blame for:

1) Sorenson is at fault here for setting up their system to not work with D-Link phone numbers. They had this ability before, they changed it so they could monopolize the VP market

2) IP-Relay VRS supervisors for not being helpful. Granted, I understand, because the interviewee wasn't making a VRS call, he was trying to get technical support, which is a NO-NO for interpreters to help. They're supposed to do VRS. Person should have called SprintVRS Helpdesk staffed with professional deaf network support techs.

There should be NO blame for Kinkos or Sprint. Hello! The interview SHOULD NOT COST the INTERVIEWEE MONEY! The video conference room should not have been set up by the interviewee AT THE LAST MINUTE, and expect it to be free. On top of that, Kinko's conference rooms are ISDN based, not IP based. The interviewee WOULD HAVE BEEN SCREWED anyway because Sorenson's VP are IP based!

So, the bottom line is, the interviewee was set up to fail by an uncaring interviewer. The interviewee is better off without that job.

Last edited:
The user is not registered

"and the next thing we see, we get this message; "the number is not recognizd. The user is not registered."

I seen that many many times and I'm sure many other deafs seen this many times too.

Its time we stop relying on Sorenson for communication services because they have a lot of funny things going on within their system.

Richard Roehm

Back