Relay Service Hangups

:hmm: Sounds like an ADA suit waiting to happen.

But when? It is a hassle driving to the places that hang up on me to have talks with them. :(

hang ups

We can turn anyone down over the phone for any reason and require they come into the branch. We have done it for other reasons (non-relay calls) where the person taking the call was uncomfortable as well. Protecting our customers' accounts and identification is our #1 priority.

Deaf customers that legitimately call on relay can also access their online banking or use the ATM for these transactions. We can also add passwords and notifications to accounts so they can use relay, although they have to come into a branch and be positively identified to do so.

Once fraud enters the picture, the bank's first priority is to protect our customers and also the bank's assets as well (as the bank has to take the hit if a fraud goes through).

In these instances, though, the callers always had incomplete information and could not be fully identified anyway.

You know what, I want the same "ease of contact" that other customers and patients receive. My problem is with Drs offices. I ask the operater to say my
(my name) is calling for an appt... and hopefully once i get a live person on line they will go ahead and handle it. BUT I have had new Drs who's scheduling secretary's refused to take my call..she stated i do not have time for this, please have someone call for you and hung up on me. WELL i printed the conversation and off I went to that Drs office where i stood at the front desk, announced that I was deaf but could speak and had been told by whomever (name of person) that they had just told me via relay call she did not have time for it. The patients in the waiting room became loud and supportive to the point the nurse had the Dr come out ( she had advised him on what had happened) and he apologized to me and then harshly informed that person who told me they didn't have time that she and everyone else in that office were to take relay calls and made her apologize to me as well. It gave me little satisfaction but unless we bring these kinds of things to the attention of whomever is in charge, we will continue being treated like we the deaf are a burden....Afterwards i did recv. another letter of apology from the medical group this Dr belonged to. Excuse me if my disability inconveiences you....lol...Midnight♥♥♥

But when? It is a hassle driving to the places that hang up on me to have talks with them. :(

I don't know when. That's why I said it was waiting to happen.:giggle: Someone has to make the first move.

:hmm: Sounds like an ADA suit waiting to happen.
Agreed, but I think that would be a resort tried after trying other things first. A suit can be a BFD and take a long time to produce results.

You know what, I want the same "ease of contact" that other customers and patients receive. My problem is with Drs offices. I ask the operater to say my
(my name) is calling for an appt... and hopefully once i get a live person on line they will go ahead and handle it. BUT I have had new Drs who's scheduling secretary's refused to take my call..she stated i do not have time for this, please have someone call for you and hung up on me. WELL i printed the conversation and off I went to that Drs office where i stood at the front desk, announced that I was deaf but could speak and had been told by whomever (name of person) that they had just told me via relay call she did not have time for it. The patients in the waiting room became loud and supportive to the point the nurse had the Dr come out ( she had advised him on what had happened) and he apologized to me and then harshly informed that person who told me they didn't have time that she and everyone else in that office were to take relay calls and made her apologize to me as well. It gave me little satisfaction but unless we bring these kinds of things to the attention of whomever is in charge, we will continue being treated like we the deaf are a burden....Afterwards i did recv. another letter of apology from the medical group this Dr belonged to. Excuse me if my disability inconveiences you....lol...Midnight???

I switched to Fairview for that very reason. I can make all my appts online, I even get to choose what times, etc. And I can email my doctors through there as well. I don't know when was the last time I had to call them. So its great! I don't know if all states have Fairview, though.

Agreed, but I think that would be a resort tried after trying other things first. A suit can be a BFD and take a long time to produce results.

Oh, yeah! Probably the only reason one hasn't been filed already.

I still get quite a few hangups, especially when calling USA businesses.
Pretty sad that the scammers have abused relay for so long....

Fortunately, IP-Relay services in Canada (very new) has always required registration, and I don't get much hangups from Canadian businesses.

Back