Relay Do-not-call lists

No, it is not true. Providers used to have a do not call list established for private residencies to block harassing and absuive relay calls (such as pranks), but a recent FCC ruling has forbidden the blocking of any numbers. Businesses have never been allowed to block relay calls, and they must accept them whether they are fraudulent of not. Personally, I'm pissed about this. Just a week after this coming out, a friend of mine started harassing me through relay in the middle of the night. What can I do about it? Absolutely nothing. :thumbd:

The FCC states that if you want to block relay calls, you can take it up with your phone company, not with the relay service itself. You can have your phone company block calls from specific phone numbers.

apathrev said:
No, it is not true. Providers used to have a do not call list established for private residencies to block harassing and absuive relay calls (such as pranks), but a recent FCC ruling has forbidden the blocking of any numbers. Businesses have never been allowed to block relay calls, and they must accept them whether they are fraudulent of not. Personally, I'm pissed about this. Just a week after this coming out, a friend of mine started harassing me through relay in the middle of the night. What can I do about it? Absolutely nothing. :thumbd:

turn the ringer/flasher off at night ?

Dennis said:
The FCC states that if you want to block relay calls, you can take it up with your phone company, not with the relay service itself. You can have your phone company block calls from specific phone numbers.

This was my first inclinition after talking with customer service. My phone service provide, T-Mobile doesn't offer any call blocking services, therefore I am subject to these calls whenever some immature kid decides to play around with your toy.

Seth, I keep my cell phone on at all times so incase I needed to be reached in an emergency.

In the article in the link, it stated that the relay service had a do not call list and that the business can not receive relay calls anymore. I'm glad it isn't rue but surprised it was in the article.

I'm surprised by the misinformation, but not that they'd get that impression. Truth is a good amount of businesses will not take relay calls.

Dennis said:

Dennis is correct on this one, Phone companies can only do that if you want to block a relay calls....

apathrev said:
I'm pissed about this. Just a week after this coming out, a friend of mine started harassing me through relay in the middle of the night. What can I do about it? Absolutely nothing.

I thought Relay can block if someone keeps harassing the operator?....

apathrev said:
Truth is a good amount of businesses will not take relay calls.

That's because relay takes too much of their time relaying a message from a deaf person, more likely the business don't have the time to sit patiently and listen, they usually say " I don't have time to talk to this deaf person, I have customers waiting etc "....Usually I hear this too often from business, most of the time, they would hung up without giving the relay a chance to explain how this service works.....and sometimes the businesses are not used to the relay service, they think it more of a prank call....

^Angel^ said:
Dennis is correct on this one, Phone companies can only do that if you want to block a relay calls....

Perhaps all land line and long distance service providers can do this, but my mobiile provider, T-Mobile, does not offer any call block.

I thought Relay can block if someone keeps harassing the operator?....

It can only be disconnected if harassment reaches a certain point. It will not be blocked. There is nothing to keep that person from reconnecting and doing the same as before.

That's because relay takes too much of their time relaying a message from a deaf person, more likely the business don't have the time to sit patiently and listen, they usually say " I don't have time to talk to this deaf person, I have customers waiting etc "....Usually I hear this too often from business, most of the time, they would hung up without giving the relay a chance to explain how this service works.....and sometimes the businesses are not used to the relay service, they think it more of a prank call....

If you they hang up before the operator can even explain, then it is not possible for them to know how much time it will take in between responses. And I'm not aware of any prank calls to businesses. There are usually 2 explanations for why a business doesn't except a relay call. 1. they're unfamiliar with relay, and think it is some sort of telemarketing call or 2. they believe it to be a scam call either because of receiving prior scam calls, or hearing about them through the media. Sometimes, I think people greatly underestimate the scam call to legit call ratio.

Back