relative quiet

julysrain

Reaction score
What is wrong with me?

I got my first ever hearing aid today and I love it, I mean it's absolutely wonderful. But it makes me appreciate the relative silence I've grown used to.

I now have a moderate hearing loss in both ears which is progressive (Meniere's). Every time I have an attack some of my hearing goes (am building up to another one as I write this). But somehow getting a hearing aid made me realize that the silence is *not* bad ~ actually in some ways I am used to it and I appreciate it.

I like being able to think without being distracted by all the noise of daily life around me. I like being able to take out the HA when I want to go back to the relative quiet. I like having the HA so I can talk on the telephone more easily and listen to distant sounds I'd never hear otherwise. But I also like being able to go back to the silence.

Is this strange or what? :shock: This isn't something I anticipated at all.

It's probably something that you have to get used to. There are times when I appreciate the quietness. There are also times when I appreciate the noise. It helps me be aware of what's going on around me. If I want to be completely left alone, then I would appreciate the quietness. ;)

Not at all, julysrain....I always tell people that's the best part in the world about being hoh....I can turn sounds off with a flick of the switch!
Oh, and now that your loss is more severe.....AND progressive go for BTEs....BTEs can be calibrated for ANY level of loss.....if you pay for the baby aids and your hearing drops....it's just wasting money!

julysrain said:
What is wrong with me?

I got my first ever hearing aid today and I love it, I mean it's absolutely wonderful. But it makes me appreciate the relative silence I've grown used to.
Is this strange or what? :shock: This isn't something I anticipated at all.

There is nothing wrong with you. You had gotten used to a quieter environment just simply because you couldn't hear it. Noise can be very useful but at times one would rather not hear it either. Enjoy it both ways. Believe me the normal hearing folks will envy your ability to turn it off.

I admit, for myself, that I'm too wired for sound to enjoy not hearing for long. I most enjoy it when I take off my CI to go to sleep. :mrgreen:

Everyone's right. :) I wear BTEs....and when I go to sleep at night, I take them off. Noise (thunder, rain, cars, you name it) never bothers me, but I've noticed at times the noises bother other people who can hear! So that's a plus for me. :) Even when I don't want to hear something during the day, I can just switch my BTE off. :)
So, I agree that it is the best part about having a hearing loss or being deaf. :)

Back