Reintroducing myself..

bwright6

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made a number of posts, but I haven't been on since 2009 (feels like an eternity away, but it wasn't, really...) so I thought I'd reintroduce myself! I recognize a few people on here, but there are so many members... Anyway, I'm Ben, and I recently graduated with my bachelors in English from OSU, and I am now a Deaf Education graduate student. I start my first observation this fall at the school for the Deaf, and I'm quite excited!!

Oh, and yes, I am deaf. I was raised orally, I have two cochlear implants, and I strive to be a member of the Deaf community. I do not like my implants, but I wear them for practical purposes. I have been learning ASL for quite some time now (ASL 1-4 at the college, etc.) and need to become proficient at *some* point, if I want to be a deaf educator..

I'm quite excited to be back, and I hope to gain a lot of insight for when I become a deaf educator. I am deaf myself, yes, but I have a lot to learn. By the way, I'm the only deaf person in my program... I will gladly talk to you about my program if you ask.

Hope to type with y'all soon!! :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I guess you were busy with college courses and don't have time to discuss or debate on any topic that you want to discuss about. I hope you can stay on and do more posting. So have fun with us. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AD! I am a teacher for the Deaf at a Deaf school myself. Best of luck with your observation..I dont miss those days! I like having my own classroom and my own way of teaching. lol

Beb, don't worry, I'll be around! I did get a tad busy during my undergraduate. Shel, I remember you, nice to see you again!

Hi Ben!!!!! One thing you could do is get involved with the Deaf community, and volunteer at the School for the Deaf. Is it Ohio School for the Deaf or St. Rita's?It's so cool you're discovering ASL and Deaf Culture. Are you a bit afraid to socialize in the Deaf community? While there are some "Deafer then thou" people out there, overall people are very welcoming to those with oral skills, as long as you don't act like you're better then Dhh without oral skills.

Bott, I think the best answer that I can think of is "they bug me". I guess I prefer a world of silence over a world of doors slamming and people talking in the background. Too many little noises bother the heck out of me..

DD I've been exposed to the deaf culture, though I could use a lot more exposure. It's Ohio School For the Deaf, but I might be placed in the ChiP program-- not sure. I'm not afraid to talk to Deaf people.. heck no! :giggle:

Welcome back to AllDeaf! :)

Bwright6, we're a lot alike. I don't have a cochlear implant, either. I have worn a hearing aid in my right ear, until I lost all the remaining hearing due to some mystery vertigo attacks (I'm still trying to work with my docs to figure this one out). So, now, I'm 100% deaf. Gotta figure out why I'm having these attacks if I want a cochlear implant.

I know what you mean about the sounds/noises of slamming doors, people talking in the background. I miss hearing my cats meow. My electronic music CD's. One of my cats making those funny little noises she makes (I don't hear her do it unless in complete silence with my hearing aid on) - the chirpy noise that she makes. The trilling cats make. I used to hear crickets when I was growing up. Rock and roll music. Sound effects. Other than that, I don't miss hearing.

Like you, I was raised orally. I'm very entrenched in the hearing world, though I do wish I have a connection to the Deaf culture. There is hardly any in where I live.

Nice to have you back. :D

Back