Registering your car / motorcyle in your country

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Just curious to see what registration process you have in your country?

In Australia we have Registration plates to put on your car. We also have an annual registration sticker that needs to be displayed clearly on the vehicle which is 70mm by 105 mm. (approx 3 x 4 inches) On a motorcycle they are usually attached on some kind of a holder. Do you guys have that sort of system for motorcyles in your country? If so, what size are they?

Kangaroo :)

I think it depends on the state that we live in for the United States.

For Texas, it's a little sticker that we put on the lower-left corner of the inside of the front windshield. That's also where we put the inspection sticker. The inspection sticker is on the bottom and the registration sticker is above the inspection sticker. Both have two HUGE numbers that represent the month and the year that the stickers expire. For me, it's basically 8 9 for both stickers meaning they expire in August 2009.

Years ago (I think during the early 90s), Texas used to have tiny stickers that you put on your license plate. However, there was an increase in people peeling off these stickers and putting it on their own cars. Plus, it was harder for cops to see right away if a car's registration expired. So, they decided to change the system so that it's bigger and placed in a location that's easier to see and read. Now, cops can see a car pass by and see the number. "Oh, it says 8 8. It expired last month. Time to pull over this guy!" *siren sounds*

For NY State,

Inspection sticker and registration sticker must be on lower-left corner of the inside of the front windshield. Inspection must be check annually but for registration is every 2 years.

For on motorcycle I am not sure where it goes on. My hubby knows! :lol:

Every states are different. Some are every year for registration but some don't require smog or inspection, some do requires smog or inspection.

South Carolina requires one tag on the back of vehicles. We keep the license plate several years but replace the sticker every year. There are no inspections required, so no inspection stickers.

Ohio requires one tag on the back of vehicles. Replace the sticker before or on date of birth every year. There are no inspections required, but requires smog every two years.

Thanks guys, was interested to know about how things work in other countries.

Lake Tahoe, had a chance to ask hubby about where it goes on the motorcycle yet?

Kangaroo :)

In Canberra, it is the same as what Kangaroo just said - but you can put the sticker on the left side back window.

In Tennessee...only one tag on the back of the car along with annual sticker on top right. Some counties charge a "Wheel Tax" on top of the $24 annual state fee. I have to fork $60 over to the county clerk ($24 state fee and $36 wheel tax) . No inspecton required either for safety or emissions. If my car was in another country, their inspectors would declare it an EPIC FAIL cause I got too many things busted with it. (broke headlight, loud muffler, a few major dings and mis-matched tires) :lol:

Here in ontario,canada..we have to have lic plates front and back and for cars and some vans the sticker has to be on top right and mounted on the rear and for pick up trucks and transporter the sticker have to be on top right and mounted in front.

For the motorcycle, we have smaller plate and sticker on top right as well. I pay $74 a year for renewal sticker.

Last edited:
Back