Regarding The Use of IP Relay

relayoperator

Reaction score
Because of the communication barrier and misunderstandings that occur on a daily basis as an IP Relay Communications Assistant with deaf and hard of hearing individuals - I thought I would post an additional thread about facts and information on IP Relay use. I hope this may answer some questions and ease some frustrations.

Here are some frequently asked questions or otherwise concerns I've noticed while relaying calls:

Operator, can you answer a question for me? Why won't you talk back?:
We are not legally allowed to respond to any questions you may have that is not regarding the call itself. We are only allowed to relay content of the call. It is the law of the FCC. Not following the law could end up in relay center termination of operations.

Operator, the person you have dialed is a MAN not a WOMAN!:
Sorry, but we only relay what we interpret. If someone has a high pitch voice or a voice that is female like we will relay them as a female. If they have a deep or manly voice we relay them as male. We'll make the corrections usually.

Operator, I hear operators scam deaf people!:
This is untrue. Before being hired every employee undergoes a drug and background check for any criminal history. There is no ability to click or paste information from the software we use to relay calls. Everything is strictly confidential and never leaves the IP Relay Center.

Operator, do you click and paste our conversations to other CA's or post our conversations online?:
Absolutely not! There is hardly anyway for that to happen unless someone wrong the entire conversation on paper and retyped it all. If anyone is doing that they will be found out and terminated.

Operator, you're dialing the wrong number!:
We only dial the number that is given to us. If you type a number we automatically have it and that exact number is dialed. We do not hit numbers it goes right into our software and is dialed. We do not dial a wrong number unless you have.

Operator, hurry up!:
We can only type so fast. We don't use technology to type for us we use our hands. We type all day long so please bear with us. We can only go through automated menues so fast. Often times we have to redial and make the selections you have made all over again to make sure we've got it verbatim.

Operator, why is it after a certain amount of time I don't respond you disconnect my call?:
You are alloted 2-5 minutes to respond usually in most cases. We cannot remain on a dead line for too long unless asked to hold. If you are inactive and lose service we must take other people's calls. Often there is a queue and people are waiting for CA's...without available CA's it's almost impossible and not fair to those who are waiting who are wishing to make a call at that time.

Operator, how can I go about reporting a CA?:
You may report a CA by inquiring for an e-mail address to management or customer service. In some cases you may request to speak to a manager directly...most cases they'll give you an e-mail address. Make sure you have the CA# the date and time of the call as well as your concern (even an exceprt of the call in which you'd like to address your concern).

Operator, I was telling a CA how to do their job and I used vulgarity and my call was closed, why?!:
It is considered CA abuse and calls can be closed out for that. If vulgarity is directed towards a CA it is considered harassment.

[I'll update this frequently...if you have any questions, you may respond to this thread and I'll answer your questions as best I can.

Question #6, I got better answer for this question!!! If you want to hurry up, use VRS! AKA Video Relay Service! You could cut your time significantly with VRS than TRS! VRS is between 5 to 10 times faster than TRS!

Question #6, I got better answer for this question!!! If you want to hurry up, use VRS! AKA Video Relay Service! You could cut your time significantly with VRS than TRS! VRS is between 5 to 10 times faster than TRS!

Haha I couldn't have said it better myself. LOL.

Yea, the idea of Relay have started back in mid 70's! Relay service became more common in mid 80's then around summer of 1999 Relay service started 100% free service. Been like that ever since then. Then BAM! Video Relay service came in 2001, thanks Sorenson for starting VRS!

Maybe someday we will have "HRS" in other word Halogram Relay Service! Image an Interpreter in Halogram being with you all the time terp everything, eh?

What year re you in ?:eek3:

Hahahahaha. Sorenson does rock. *clears throat* So awesome it's unebelievable.

HOLOGRAMS? Hahaha, interesting. LOL. Not a bad idea though.

Thanks for all the helpful info...:)

Yeah hahaha, just it makes it hard for both ends if neither of us are understanding what eachother are thinking or doing...lol and why we do it and don't do it...

well, let me see... where to start in on what the OP has stated...
first, we cant copy and paste converstations because of the lack of a mouse and properly functioning ctrl keys and notepad or word. so yea, we dont copy and paste what is said. most of the time the operator will forget what was said about 2 seconds after the call drops.

as for hanging up on someone... we have to wait 10 minutes of complete silence from the text user and the voice user. if the voice user keeps on saying "opr are they typing qq" then we have to keep the line open. it can go on for hours. so next time a deaf person complains about not being able to get an opr for an extended period of time, keep that in mind. if u are in wally world and ur sidekick loses service, it doesnt always disconnect the opr.

as for yelling at the opr and telling them how to do their job... i mean really, come on. i've been doing this job for 2 years now and im pretty sure that i have handled more relay calls than most deaf people have for the past 15 years. we get alot of calls. if u yell at me and tell me how to do my job then i am not going to take that as a word of encouragement and i am going to assume that u are abusing me and the system. i would have the call disconnected immediately or as soon as i could. BE NICE TO THE OPERATORS! we handle ur calls and all ur private info.

as for doing drug tests and background checks... i dont know what center u work for, but at mine we did not have to take drug tests and thats probably a good thing since so many of the operators are stoned 75% of the time. and bkgd checks? one of the guys in my training class was a felon.

btw, law and order is on USA right now and there are deaf people on it

mmm. there is some forum, I cannot remember where, there has been relay operators (or at least they claimed to be), in which they actually posted conversations or repeated what was said... even made fun of the clients that called the Relay services.

So.. I don't really think all of the calls made were 100% private.

Well, if you're a relay operator and you do a hundred calls for 8 hours a day, with 200 other relay operators in a call center, you get all sorts of different calls and the operators are bound to talk to each other about them.

Especially when we have to deal with prank callers who aren't Deaf or hard of hearing, but use the relay service to call their friends and say rude things over and over to their friends... and often times we can hear in the background that both the caller on the internet relay and the voice are in the same room together.

I don't really think ROs talking about calls to each other is a problem unless they are giving out or recording personal or private information... if they are then there is a serious problem, but if not, I think it's only natural.

I like using IP-Relay when I am away from my VP...it's very handy, especially on the road....

Honestly, I'm not sure what makes you think we want to copy and paste your call info for?

AT the center I work for.. I cant anyways. I have no mouse.. my ctrl keys don't work.. I couldn't access windows to save my life... so.. there...

And if you think for one second I'm going to remember enough of your call to sit there and type it out for the whole world to see... well it better be one damn interesting call, otherwise after about 30 seconds of that call leaving my screen I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Have I made fun of callers that call into the relay system? Yes I have.

Think that's mean? Well if it's a stupid call then more then likely im going to be laughing at you. Sorry. I sit infront of a computer screen all day and can t do anything to amuse myself between calls I have to find amusement somewhere.

Besides.. I'll laugh in a deaf persons face as quick as I will a hearing person if they are being stupid... so don't feel special.

Oh and if your so worried about your info being stolen through IP... forget it.. most of us make enough money that we could care less about ya'll accounts or how much money you have.. we just wish you'd stop typing 'live rep live rep live rep live rep ... ' every time u call your banks 800 nbr.

Honestly, I'm not sure what makes you think we want to copy and paste your call info for?

AT the center I work for.. I cant anyways. I have no mouse.. my ctrl keys don't work.. I couldn't access windows to save my life... so.. there...

And if you think for one second I'm going to remember enough of your call to sit there and type it out for the whole world to see... well it better be one damn interesting call, otherwise after about 30 seconds of that call leaving my screen I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Think that's mean? Well if it's a stupid call then more then likely im going to be laughing at you. Sorry. I sit infront of a computer screen all day and can t do anything to amuse myself between calls I have to find amusement somewhere.

Besides.. I'll laugh in a deaf persons face as quick as I will a hearing person if they are being stupid... so don't feel special.

Oh and if your so worried about your info being stolen through IP... forget it.. most of us make enough money that we could care less about ya'll accounts or how much money you have.. we just wish you'd stop typing 'live rep live rep live rep live rep ... ' every time u call your banks 800 nbr.

I think someone needs an attitude adjustment - or maybe just quit her job already.

Nobody believes the first quote, so why do RO's keep repeating it? The second quote proves the first one is false.

Nobody believes the first quote, so why do RO's keep repeating it? The second quote proves the first one is false.

Ahahaha. Good point. I remember parts but not details of calls and the deaf users - I also don't dwell on it and don't leave borderline-sarcastic posts on the AllDeaf Forum.

Back