Redshirt your kindgarten school kid?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Redshirting in Kindergarten Still Subject to Debate - ABC News

Not going to take sides. I thought this was very interesting. I didn't know you would redshirt your kindergarten school kid(s). I had always thought of redshirting in relation to college sports, but not kindergarten.

Very interesting. I wonder if those that are redshirted will have more success in the future or not.

I know someone who held her son back a year from starting Kindergarten. She did not feel he was ready. He & his sister are "Irish twins" (sister is 11 months younger than him), so they went thru school together in the same grade.

I know someone who held her son back a year from starting Kindergarten. She did not feel he was ready. He & his sister are "Irish twins" (sister is 11 months younger than him), so they went thru school together in the same grade.

In the other direction, I went to high school (all involved hearing) with two sisters; one of which had skipped a grade so they were in the same class from that point on.

I think my son might have been able to start a year earlier, I'm not real sure, he's a fall baby, his birthday is in November so I'm not sure if he would have made the cut off, he might have but I wouldn't have wanted him to have been that much younger than the other kids. He would have started college at 17! My daighter on the other hand is a summer baby, they're technically 19 months, and that's 2 years, '98 and '00, but for few months of the year there's one year between there age differences, but they're only one year apart in school. They both older than the other kids in their classes, especially Braden. I kept both of them back when we moved from NH to SC. In our school district in NH there was no kidergarten, so Braden never went, and we down here in Feb '06 so he'd only been in school (first grade) for like 6 months, while all the other kids had been to kindergarten. My daughter didn't even start kindergarten until most way through the school year, was only in it for 3 months. She learned to read during that time, but both of them were very far behind the other kids in reading. The teachers were okay with them going onto the next grade, but I said no. I didn't want them struggling, and I didn't want them feeling about themselves because they couldn't read as well as the other students. So I made the call for them to repeat those years, Braden first grade and Ashlyn kindergarten. Im still glad I did, but Braden is going to be turning 19 during his senior year. Ashlyn will turn 19 a few weeks after she graduates.

Weird that they call it redshirting though, when I think of red shirts I think of the red shirts in Star Trek, you the guys that always end up dying when they visit new planets.

Holding kids back a year is becoming more common. I started my daughter a year early and she skipped a grade. There is good reasoning behind each decision. My nephews started a year late and they have done well too.

Some kids are just "not ready"....and even some kids who were not ready, went anyway...and failed kindergarten....:giggle:...It's been a joke in my family a long time.

I had kindergarten at twice but skipped 6th grade (after 1 month and moved up to 7th grade).

I dont think you can skip grades in uk unless you some genius and put up.
our kids can start at three and on to school at four or five, three seems to young but many parents seem happy with it..not sure i agree with redshirting either..kids need the full social package not pushy parents..

I have seen evidence of this and we were accused of it. My daughter was held back in Preschool for an extra year due to learning issues and was not ready for kindergarten with her age group.

I failed kindergarten, but then with the help of a private tutor, skipped 1st grade. My father failed kindergarten, but down the road skipped 2 other grades.

you failed "kiddy-garden"?....:shock:

My brother did, they didn't find out til later that he needed glasses, he couldn't see the alphabet, so he couldn't regognize any of the letters, and he's far sighted not near sighted so anything on paper, a book, he was looking at was just a blur. I have 2 other brothers, they both had to redo first grade, I think, could have have been kindergarten, but all 3 of them were held back early. I think it's a boy thing.

I was older in my kindergarten class because of my birthday is in December and I was too young to go. So I had to wait a year. There are a lot of kids that to go to preschool because of when their birthday is.

I was older in my kindergarten class because of my birthday is in December and I was too young to go. So I had to wait a year. There are a lot of kids that to go to preschool because of when their birthday is.

Yep, my friend's birthday is in December and she didn't turn 18 until she was in college, I have no idea how she made it the cut, I think her birthday was december 11th. That's why I didn't even check to see if my son made the cut off with his birthday being in November, between him beeing 17 when he started college and boys being typically slower to development than girls, I decided it was best just to wait. I may have red shirted him, I may not have, I never even checked, I just enrolled him when I thought it was best for him.

Boy how things have changed since I was in kindergarten in school yr. of 1947-48! The school district didn't even offer it but I went to a private one run by a gal that rented space from the school district. One in another school building was in the morning and the afternoon one happened to be in the same building where I later attended grade school (1-8 grades - jr. high came many, many years later here).

Reading the article, this jumped out at me, "Some parents are even delaying schooling to give their children a competitive advantage in sports ...". Personally, that is very disappointing to me.

As for my own experience, I entered kindergarten prior to turning 5 and I entered University at 17. The only 'negative' all those years was the fact that I couldn't go to the bars with others around campus during the first half of my first year. Hardly a detrimental life experience ha! I think choosing to wait or not is very individualistic but I do not feel giving kids a 'competitive edge' in any arena is a valid reason.

When do kids get to be just kids anymore? It seems like school pressures are coming younger and younger.

Reading the article, this jumped out at me, "Some parents are even delaying schooling to give their children a competitive advantage in sports ...". Personally, that is very disappointing to me.

As for my own experience, I entered kindergarten prior to turning 5 and I entered University at 17. The only 'negative' all those years was the fact that I couldn't go to the bars with others around campus during the first half of my first year. Hardly a detrimental life experience ha! I think choosing to wait or not is very individualistic but I do not feel giving kids a 'competitive edge' in any arena is a valid reason.

IKR!! I feel like placing bets that those parents live in Texas ;)

Back