Recycling

JOEBIALEK

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia {the free encyclopedia} "recycling is the reprocessing of materials into new products. Recycling generally prevents the waste of potentially useful materials, reduces the consumption of raw materials and reduces energy usage, and hence greenhouse gas emissions, compared to virgin production." The recent discussion concerning global warming has focused primarily on alternative sources of fuel for the purpose of transportation. However, another very important pro-environment tool is recycling. The effort needs to involve more than the consumer and the government. It needs to involve those who sell {and profit} from those products that can be recycled. For example, the manufactures of bottles and cans along with the producers of what's sold inside them as well as the grocery stores that distribute them must take on a greater economic role in the process of recycling. The voluntary "blue bag at the curb" approach is a good start but it relies primarily on the altruism of the consumer.

The question is: does the consumer bear sole responsibility for what happens to a can or bottle that contains the product used? or should some of that responsibility be borne by those who profit from its' use? Are these responsibilities being borne already and are they equitable? Some time ago bottlers would charge a five-cent "deposit" on a bottle to be "refunded" when the consumer returned the bottle. It would seem that this concept could be reoperationalized for a whole host of products. The consumer could clean the bottle or can, return it to the grocery story for a "refund" and the grocery store would return it to the producer then to the manufacturer etcetera each receiving a "refund" along the way. When all parties involved have an economic incentive to participate, recycling will make a much larger contribution towards preserving the environment.

We have two different garbage bins, one for rubbish and other recycled only.

If I ignored and mixed it up, they won't pick it up unless I must do it right.

We have two different garbage bins, one for rubbish and other recycled only.

If I ignored and mixed it up, they won't pick it up unless I must do it right.

Yupp same here. I have one garbage can and three recycle boxes, one for glass and plastic, one for cupboards (boxes), and other one for papers. If I mix them or messing them up then garbage man will skip it. It's not their responibilities to do our works.

Yupp same here. I have one garbage can and three recycle boxes, one for glass and plastic, one for cupboards (boxes), and other one for papers. If I mix them or messing them up then garbage man will skip it. It's not their responibilities to do our works.
Interested, not here. One recycle for everything except newspapers. They don't accept. They used to be, not anymore. I dont understand why.

When we visited mom-in-law in Michigan, we noticed that she carefully sorted all her paper and cardboard for recycling. She told us that it was required to keep the newspapers, magazines, and cardboard in separated piles for recycling.

I happened to be out on her front yard when the recycling truck came by. The guy hoisted all her neat little piles into one truck that mixed it all together! :rofl:

When we visited mom-in-law in Michigan, we noticed that she carefully sorted all her paper and cardboard for recycling. She told us that it was required to keep the newspapers, magazines, and cardboard in separated piles for recycling.

I happened to be out on her front yard when the recycling truck came by. The guy hoisted all her neat little piles into one truck that mixed it all together! :rofl:

This is rather funny!! :giggle: :rofl:

OH no!!! LOL!

I have two recycling bins. :)

I noticed when I lived in apts they never had recycling bins. Wonder why?

OH no!!! LOL!

I have two recycling bins. :)

I noticed when I lived in apts they never had recycling bins. Wonder why?

Maybe it's because there is too many people living in apartments so it would be easier for all of them put in one recycle and one garbage for garbage man to pick it up then pour all of them in the truck which only take probably 5-10 minutes.

whats more, the town that I will move soon that don't carry recycle. I was like geez what am I going to do? My best friend's husband told me that when their trash pail full and bring them to the place for recycle. I couldn't live without recycle. It's habit.

Recycling in Germany
How To Germany - Recycling

I have yellow bin for plastics, green bin for papers and black bin for dirty... and my own compost for raw vegetables, eggs, tea, coffee, etc.

We (people who live in same area) have to put canned, 3 different color glasses and batteries away to 4 different large bin.

They empty brown tin for compost every Monday (I don´t have one because I own compost), yellow bin for plastics every 2 week (Tuesday), black bin every 2 week (Wednesday) and big green bin for paper once a month.

Recycling in Germany
How To Germany - Recycling

I have yellow bin for plastics, green bin for papers and black bin for dirty... and my own compost for raw vegetables, eggs, tea, coffee, etc.

We (people who live in same area) have to put canned, 3 different color glasses and batteries away to 4 different large bin.

They empty brown tin for compost every Monday (I don´t have one because I own compost), yellow bin for plastics every 2 week (Tuesday), black bin every 2 week (Wednesday) and big green bin for paper once a month.

Wow too many dates for the recycle..

The important things to recycle are: plastic. Plastic cannot biodegrade, and is in HIGH demand for things like Polarfleece. One thing that consumers should do is make sure that they recycle ANY types of plastic, not just bottles. Like things like tupperware and picnic ware, and old children's toys (I'm blanking on the brand name of them right now) and metal/alluminum. (reduces the strain that metal mining puts on the enviroment)
Glass isn't that vital to recycle seeing as it's made out of sand (and we're not gonna run out of that any time soon) However a good idea for disposal of glass, if you live near the ocean is to take it down, and turn it into beach glass.
I live in a state that has a bottle and can depoisit law. I'll ride my bike around my town looking for bottles and cans. It's a great way to get some extra cash!

I am in Michigan. I tied up papers in twine. Same thing for cardboards. I put them all in the bin along with plastic stuff, tin cans, glasses.

They accept only PETE 1 & 2 plastic items. I saw on TV that there are places that can accept other PETE numbers plastic items. Where do I find it? I live not too far from Detroit. The TV show said they do recycle PETE #5 into things like razor handles, etc. I eat alot of yogurt in those small tubs.

i do recycle newspaper, phone books, and cans. they all are separated and given to right place for recycling. :D

Some state or countries are required to recycle. In Utah there is no recycle near the homes. But they do have the recycle place where the people would like to drop off their stuff to the waste management. As for me, I do recycle newspaper(any papers too) and plastic bottle and cans. I take it down to the waste management every two or three weeks.

in Seattle....If you dump recyclables IN the garbage bin, you can get fined few hundred dollars for improper recycling.

Here at my apt, we put all the recyclables in the same recycle bin like paper, cardboards, plastic bottles, papers and several other recyclable stuff. They will seperate them at the recycle center.

Before we moved to our currently apt, the old apt we used to live that have recycle bin for recycling items but not our current apt. - strange. The old apt and currently apt are the same manager. Is that odd? LOL But the people who don't give a damn about recycle items in the bin but only trash!!!! GEEZ WHIZ!!!!!!!! Once a while i collect bottles (plastic and glass), alum. cans for cash at recycle place for our surviving.

Yes many... I get use it... *strug* I do support enviroment-friendly...

http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/8346-you-environment-friendly.html

Voted "Yes" there :)

in Seattle....If you dump recyclables IN the garbage bin, you can get fined few hundred dollars for improper recycling.

Here at my apt, we put all the recyclables in the same recycle bin like paper, cardboards, plastic bottles, papers and several other recyclable stuff. They will seperate them at the recycle center.

Fine? Wow... I am glad that government actually put effort to support the enviroment friendly.

Back