Reality: Vocal and Signed Tonations

web730

Reaction score
There is an ASL video via YouTube created by James (deaf-HH) that explains the reality of vocal tonation and signed tonation... a real good one that he defines the ugly reality for those deaf people who speak using vocal in the hearing world not realizing how poor their vocals sound including himself that he discovered at NTID. Here is the link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evSmk5KnLpI]YouTube - ZURFER: REALITY...[/ame]

Thanks for posting this. I knew about this for a long time, but the reality didn't hit me until recently when someone said I lack intonation, even though I "speak well." It's just too monotonous for that person, but she knew that I wasn't a monotonous type of person since I use stresses a lot.

I only watched about half of this video as it's 10 minutes long. But I object to the statement in your post "those deaf people who speak using vocal in the hearing world not realizing how poor their vocals sound" because that isn't true for everyone.

I only watched about half of this video as it's 10 minutes long. But I object to the statement in your post "those deaf people who speak using vocal in the hearing world not realizing how poor their vocals sound" because that isn't true for everyone.

It's real common reality amongst heard of hearing people (and esp deaf) though there are few HH ones that really speaks better than James that I'm sure.

Try it yourself using your own quick and short survey and meet & ask hearing strangers then find out how good yours do measure.

I have a dear friend who grew up orally, but has been deaf since birth. However, her speech is quite clear, not monotonous, and she has great degrees of inflection. Its clear she has a degree of hearing loss, but if you didn't know her you would never suspect she was completely deaf.

It's real common reality amongst heard of hearing people (and esp deaf) though there are few HH ones that really speaks better than James that I'm sure.

Try it yourself using your own quick and short survey and meet & ask hearing strangers then find out how good yours do measure.

You don't know me. Please refrain from making assumptions. You don't know what people have said about my speech (which is near-perfect). There are quite a few (and not just a "few HH" like you said) that speak well.

You don't know me. Please refrain from making assumptions. You don't know what people have said about my speech (which is near-perfect). There are quite a few (and not just a "few HH" like you said) that speak well.

I wasn't talking about you or anybody personally but rather others in general. ;)

transcrit please

There is an ASL video via YouTube create
d by James (deaf-HH) that explains the reality of vocal tonation and signed tonation... a real good one that he defines the ugly reality for those deaf people who speak using vocal in the hearing world not realizing how poor their vocals sound including himself that he discovered at NTID. Here is the link:

YouTube - ZURFER: REALITY...

Hi

Can someone please post transprit as there are people learning sign here and deafblind here.

Back