Reading Speed

rraja

Reaction score
I was reading an article about how a person can increase their reading speed and the concept of subvocalization came up. The idea is that typically, when a person reads, they "say" the words in their brain, and this slows them down; speedreaders try to suppress this process to become more efficient.

The article mentioned that on average, deaf people tend to not subvocalize as much and hence their reading speed is faster. I know my reading speed is faster than average, but I would attribute this to having to speed-read captions and the like when I was younger. I do subvocalize, though in kind of a "fast-forward" mode. Recently I've been trying to turn it off when I want to read something quickly.

Does anyone else not subvocalize as much when they read? Or have a faster reading speed than average?

Here's an article for reference:
Subvocalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not bother reading anything from Wikipedia. Just saying.

I turn it off and on, depending on what I'm reading.

I think critical reading and comprehension is more important than speed. But that doesn't mean reading too s l o w l y is a good idea either.

Reading . . . each . . . word . . . is . . . a . . . hindrance . . . to . . . both . . . speed . . . and . . . comprehension. By . . . the . . . time . . . you . . . get . . . to . . . end . . . of . . . the . . . sentence . . . you . . . forget . . . what . . . it's . . . about.

I am a fast reader when it's just for "fluff" reading. If it's something important, I will take more time than necessary and write out a lot (a ton) of notes. It's the only way I can learn.

I do not subvocalize. I find it to be a waste of time.

I am a fast reader when it's just for "fluff" reading. If it's something important, I will take more time than necessary and write out a lot (a ton) of notes. It's the only way I can learn.

I do not subvocalize. I find it to be a waste of time.

Ditto here but I don't take notes though other than the mental sort though. I can read at about 600 words per minitue though I do some subvocalzing. Perhaps not very much given my speed. I will slow down considerably when reading something that requires some thought.

I read fast with no subvocalizing. On the other hand, Jillio has remarked before that I don't comprehend written English well.

So this may be a bad thing.

I turn it off and on, depending on what I'm reading.

I think critical reading and comprehension is more important than speed. But that doesn't mean reading too s l o w l y is a good idea either.

Reading . . . each . . . word . . . is . . . a . . . hindrance . . . to . . . both . . . speed . . . and . . . comprehension. By . . . the . . . time . . . you . . . get . . . to . . . end . . . of . . . the . . . sentence . . . you . . . forget . . . what . . . it's . . . about.

Reba, Great answer! you are so right, sometimes the content and comprehension requires one to read each word...but in general..I can skim a paragraph, or page even if the subject matter is familiar very quickly. Well I must say i try to do that now since my brain injury and it is a bit harder to do..but I am a positive thinkier and know i will return to a faster reading speed. In college i was tested for a photographic memory because i could read so quickly and retain the information. but i do not have that..interest seems to also dictate my reading speed. I love to read!! Peace to you M♥♥♥

Lealty treeh is a lot of tearhds auobt ridealng, weteher it is in the seped of it, the chenishepmoon or the saclavizobuotin of it. Can you sovlicazue tihs or eevn cepremhond it? We are amewsoe!

When I read, I am in the story. I dont think in words when reading...I am visualizing the story as if I am really there to witness it. My mom says because of that, I am an extremely fast reader. I can go through a 500 page book in less than a week. My hubby says that I buy too many books in such a short time. lol

Me either. I really don't subvocalize either, hence, I was able to speed read and comprehend my verbal SAT test just in time ;)

When I read, I am in the story. I dont think in words when reading...I am visualizing the story as if I am really there to witness it. My mom says because of that, I am an extremely fast reader. I can go through a 500 page book in less than a week. My hubby says that I buy too many books in such a short time. lol

I read very quickly as well. It is like I sense the block of words together. Not sure I can explain it.

BTW, did hubby ever find his book? The one he had not finished? I forget where I read this...

Fast reader here too, was a requirement of my job, along with accurate typing/wording speed.

It's strange. I 'hear' each word in my head as as I read it. If that is subvocalization I didn't know that. Like Shel, I 'see' the picture in my head. But I 'hear' each character with it's own distinct voice. I can read very fast. So I guess I am like a honeybee. I don't know I am not supposed to read fast bu to I do. LOL

Last edited:
My ex husband would move his lips when reading a book or newspaper! I could read the same story faster than him and I would have to wait to get back the my part of the news paper! I thought is was so strange him moving his lips while reading to himself!!

Back