Reaction to Ear Molds...How to Clear it Up?

lindsayf26

Reaction score
I have had reactions to my ear molds, particularly the left ear at one certain spot, for most of my adult life. For whatever reason, the shape of my left ear is very difficult to fit, and the only way to keep my aids from ringing is to have a very tight fit--it has taken my audiologist many tries to figure this out.

As a result, usually when I get a new mold I develop a sore. I also develop sores at other random times, usually if I am careless and not paying attention to how roughly I take out and put in the mold, if I take it out frequently (for example, if we go to the pool and its in and out 5 times in one day) or if I don't lightly lubricate the ear first. Using a tiny bit of aquaphor on the mold and my ear allows the mold to slide in easier (of course, this creates build up that needs to be cleaned out regularly, but that's another problem.)

MY ISSUE, that I'm hoping someone can offer some advice. I just got a new mold 2 weeks ago, b/c my old one was starting to crack. It wasn't cracked yet, but it was still under warranty, and I am 9 months pregnant so didn't want a problem while in the hospital or while home with a newborn. My audi replaced my mold, as usual I immediately started developing a sore, and dealt with accordingly by using aquaphor and leaving the aid out a little bit.

As of one week ago, the sore was awful--bloody, scabby, not healing, and impossible to put the aid in without excruciating pain. I left it out for 3 days, and used a variety of creams: hydrocortisone, mometemax, and cipro drops (steriod) on the sore. All of these I usually have success with, and in 3 days it was healed over, smooth, and non-painful. I put the aids back in on Easter for 2 hours to go to dinner...and the sore resurrected to excruciating pain levels in that time. Took them out again and left them out from Sunday evening until Wed evening, when I had my toddler's preschool open house. Again: back in for less than 2 hours, same thing happened.

Anyone have this happen before, and have any tricks for healing the sore besides what I am doing???????? I am literally due to have a baby any day, and the thought of going into the hospital with just one aid (basically cutting my functionality in half during a monumental life experience, not to mention a sometimes hard-to-hear in environment) is serioulsy stressing me out. "Sucking it up" and putting the aid in and dealing with the pain is an option, but one that has the risk of a serious infection occurring. The last time I had a baby I got a raging ear infection from taking the aid in and out for the ear temperature (will not be doing that again!) and ended up having to leave the aid out for most of the first month of my son's life--a situation I would really, really, REALLY like to avoid if I can this time!!! Its hard enough being a parent of a newborn and a HOH person functioning on little sleep without the benefit of both aids during the day!!

I haven't yet called my ENT b/c I know what he is going to tell me (b/c we've been down this road more than once)--leave the aid out for an extended period of time and use the momentmax cream twice a day. I have already tried multiple types of molds, and I can't wear the hard molds b/c they can't get a tight enough fit to keep my aids (Naidas, btw) from ringing. I have no issues in my other ear, so they feel its just plain contact dermatitis vs an allergy, due to the tight fit.

ANYHOW: anyone have any suggestions of something to heal it up with?? In the past I have taken Benadryl or Tylonel to help: though I "can" technically take both I'm trying to avoid that route since I am 38.5 weeks pregnant.

Thank you.

Quick question; What is your current mold made of, and does it have any color/glitter in it?

If it's a hard mold they usually just file off the spot where is makes a sore.

If it is soft, you can take an exacto knife and cut the little protrusion off of the mold that is pressing a spot in your ear.

Where in/on the ear are you getting the sores? In the canal, on the "outside"? Top, bottom? My right ear mold sometimes gives me problems at the top of the outside (under the "lip"). I sometime wonder if the tubing is slightly too short and is pulling a little too much.
Some soft molds can also be "sanded"/shaved.

I had that happen to me before
but you can always get a hypoallergenic earmold
for me, I have clear ones with purple glitter in it

also I wait a few days before I can use my pop tropical body wash to make it go away and it works for me :)
sometimes every night will not work, sometimes it will work.

Back when I still wore HAs, I did not like the way the earmold fit my left ear so I would chew off part of the earmold so it wasn't as painful to wear. When I told my HA dealer why I did that, he told me he could file off part of it and make it less painful. It worked but I had a lot more feedback as a result.

Definitely see if you can have your earmolds filed/sanded down a bit on the spots that's causing the sores. Sore ears are definitely not pleasant at all. The earmolds shouldn't be uncomfortable and painful! Make sure they are hypoallergenic molds, in cause you have sensitive skin/ears.

I have similiar problem. It started last May or June. The earmolds weren't new (few years old). I wonder if it is the hot weather plus the earmolds are causing the problem. You see I moved from Michigan to Arizona over 2 years ago. I am at home most of time so I left the HAs off as much as I can. I only wear them when I have to go to town or walk down to the mailbox - in case someone stops to talk to me.

I'd try a hypoallergenic silicone mould - and have the Audie experiment with a longer canal length, versus a "super tight mould" (overall).

I find that a slightly longer than average (actually my current one is about 1.5x longer than "typical") makes a HUGE difference in ringing/feedback etc. - much more than a tight mould in the "shell" part of the ear.

If you have a "hot spot", have the Audie mark it with a sharpie/gel pen while you are wearing the mould - then file/sand/cut down JUST that tiny area (usually less that a pencil eraser) ... have then take TINY amounts off, then put the mould back in and see if the pressure it gone/less - you might want to do it over a few days so you can see if it makes a difference or not. Taking a tiny piece (less then a millimeter depth, and the small diameter/surface area will not alter the "fit" of the mould - espeically if you have a long enough canal length.

I find that the silicone moulds are much more comfortable, and and "hot spots" can easily be taken down with a file or super sharp blade (have your Audie or their hearing aid tech do it , in case they mess up - so it's not your fault)

Hope that helps.

FWIW, the only way that I've found to really clear up open wounds is to leave the mould out completely for 3 or 4 days - so that the skin can regrow, otherwise you're just abrading the skin trying to grow and will get a worse wound as well as scar tissue (which is more sensitive to pressure and can cause issues later).

Back