Re-Thinking CI

I know it shocks you that not everyone thinks the LATEST technology is a "gotta have."

That's just it.... you don't "know" this about me and you don't know Cochlear Implants despite what you think you know. Do you know what Alex wants? I don't. I just know she wanted more information.

I appreciate everyone's responses!! I looked at AB's site today and am impressed. And the fact that they have purple does not hurt :P I want to see if they have a packet like Cochlear sent me. I have 5-6 months to decide so no rush! But I want to get all the information I can before the initial appt.

Thank-you again everyone!!!

Exactly! The more you know the more confident you'll feel about what's right for you with no hesitation when it comes down to surgery. You are in for a fantastic experience ahead!

I did want all of the information and each person's opinion. That's what I asked for so thank-you.

Deafdyke- I was hearing until 8yrs old (I'm 24) so what they're saying regarding the AB is relevant.

She said like the Naida integrated receiver which is a add on!!! I do know what the N5 does!

Yes, the Naida receiver is an add-on, but is integrated. The N5's receiver is not integrated any more than the AB Harmony's FM receiver is, as you can see from the video demonstration produced by Cochlear. No one is going to run around 24/7 with this set up, but they will with an integrated receiver.... which does not exist for Cochlear.

Phonak does not and would not produce an integrated receiver for a competitor. Cochlear makes an adapter that fits in the N5 aux input with an euro port that can use Phonak's existing product.

I was hearing until 8yrs old (I'm 24) so what they're saying regarding the AB is relevant.

I was hearing until I was 7 years old. I'm also in California. You are going to be amazed at what's waiting for you! You won't miss those hearing aids!

Yes, the Naida receiver is an add-on, but is integrated. The N5's receiver is not integrated any more than the AB Harmony's FM receiver is, as you can see from the video demonstration produced by Cochlear. No one is going to run around 24/7 with this set up, but they will with an integrated receiver.... which does not exist for Cochlear.

Phonak does not and would not produce an integrated receiver for a competitor. Cochlear makes an adapter that fits in the N5 aux input with an euro port that can use Phonak's existing product.

I'm well aware of the receivers!! Phonak class the N5 receiver as integrated!!

I'm well aware of the receivers!! Phonak class the N5 receiver as integrated!!

I guess I was wrong on who makes that accessory and you are right in that it is referred to as "design integrated." That's an interesting relationship there. We were thinking of different definitions of "integrated" in which I'm thinking of it as integrated into the casing of the processor rather than stuck on as an abutment.

Alex
I recently went Bilateral for CI's and I have no regrets. I went with AB in beign attractive to their off the ear processor and waterproof one. I had a bad experience at a center telling me I was faking beign deaf in I read lips so well but I also had the ABR test confirming that I had a severe to profound hearing loss.
Keep us posted on your journey
AMber

I did want all of the information and each person's opinion. That's what I asked for so thank-you.

Deafdyke- I was hearing until 8yrs old (I'm 24) so what they're saying regarding the AB is relevant.

Oh OK..........sorry. Then you WOULD want all the extra features and things like that. It's too bad there's not a way to try out the different CIs beforehand to see which one you like best.

As I understand the matter-which of 3 companies' processors to buy- one can't instal each of the internal processors to test which external to buy.

Aside: in my case-the Cochlear Implant team/Sunnybrook/Toronto chose- Advanced Bionics-Harmony as best for me 5 1/2 years ago. At that time Med El was not used-though it is today. Apparently Cochlear Corp had a "production problem"-then. I am aware that Advanced Bionics- had a production problem a couple of years ago.
I still have no problem with their choice.

Also before you get your hopes up on one company I'd make sure your CI surgeon works with all 3 companies first. Some don't...in which case you could go to another but not sure how that works down in the states with insurance. I'd make your own list of pros and cons for each company. AB and Med-EL both have info packages like cochlear's that explain their products (processors and internal hardware) and processing strategies, FAQ's stuff like that. Then take into consideration your everyday activities and then decide what you think is best for you. Take into account battery life, rechargeable vs non rechargeable, size, accessories, etc. What may attract someone else to a certain company may not attract you.

I think I'm decided on AB due to the Neptune. The ability to wear it off the ear when my ear gets sore or I want to take a nap on my side, and being able to hear while swimming, would be priceless!

There are many CI surgeons that my insurance covers, so I can choose one who does AB.

I think I'm decided on AB due to the Neptune. The ability to wear it off the ear when my ear gets sore or I want to take a nap on my side, and being able to hear while swimming, would be priceless!

Interesting that you want to hear while taking a nap. I was hearing until 4, and no matter what, I cannot fall asleep if I am hearing something.

When I go swimming, the last thing I would want to do is bring my CI in the water for several reasons...1) Chlorine is corrosive to just about everything, 2) If it comes off my ear, will I be able to find it in a lake or a 10 foot deep public pool? and 3) Electronics & water do not mix, period. I don't care if everyone advertises their CI's as 'water resistant for 30 minutes in 2 feet of water', I ain't putting mine in water, especially when I will have to pay for any repairs caused by misuse.

The Neptune, when it's in it's proper waterproof configuration, is indeed waterproof for any water settings (ocean, pool, lakes, etc). And the Neptune processor is clipped on (either to swim suit/clothes, arm band, lanyard, headband, whichever the person decides);not on the ear.

If I mute my hearing aid to take a nap I end up sleeping for too long. So being able to wear my CI and nap on my side would be helpful to keep a nap short.

If I mute my hearing aid to take a nap I end up sleeping for too long. So being able to wear my CI and nap on my side would be helpful to keep a nap short.

That's why we put firecrackers under our pillows with 30 minute fuses.....

(of course it is a joke....)

Unless you are one of those people that sleep like a dead person, and not move one inch throughout the nap...trust me, your antenna is going to move and fall off. You can always duct tape the antenna to your head, though.

The Neptune, when it's in it's proper waterproof configuration, is indeed waterproof for any water settings (ocean, pool, lakes, etc). And the Neptune processor is clipped on (either to swim suit/clothes, arm band, lanyard, headband, whichever the person decides);not on the ear.

True, however, it is the losing-the-CI-in-the-Colorado-river scenario that bothers me the most. I don't have $6K laying around to pay for a new one if I lose it. And I have two, double the pleasure, double the costs.

True, however, it is the losing-the-CI-in-the-Colorado-river scenario that bothers me the most. I don't have $6K laying around to pay for a new one if I lose it. And I have two, double the pleasure, double the costs.

AB makes a swim cap to hold the magnet on, and an arm band that holds the processor. It ain't goin' anywhere.

Back