re-intro here. mom of deaf son

aslpup

Reaction score
Hi
I joined a while ago but have not been on here in quite some time, so i thought I would reintroduce myself.
I live in central florida area. I have a 7 yr old son that has down syndrome and is also deaf. He wears hearing aids and is in a deaf/hoh classroom learning asl.
I am trying to get him into FSDB soon because the school he is in now is not meeting his needs. I have been taking asl classes but it is hard for me because I do not get the practice I need. I have a few Deaf friends that I see occasionally, but really want to meet more. I am prepared to move to the st augustine area when my son goes to school there.
I hope to meet more Deaf for friendship. My son needs to be around others who sign. My son is a candidate now for the CI but I decided not to pursue it because of many reasons. He is a smart boy but it is hard to convince that to someone who does not know him. He can figure out how to make things work and he is amazing on the computer!
Anyone please feel free to email me or msg me on aim: aslpup
thanks!
aslpup

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf--once again! We'll know it's your son, here, when amazing things is flickering about in here-- :lol: (ofc, j/k ;) ) Anyhow, hope you'll continue to enjoy AD as well! :)

:wave:
~RR

:welcome: to AD!!! Several of my friends and co workers have graduated from FSDB. They tell me how much they loved going there. :)

Unfortunately, I live in MD but if u have any questions about deaf ed, u can PM me. I am a teacher for the deaf and happen to be deaf myself.

Hope u enjoy your stay here!

:welcome: to Alldeaf forum!

I am new to you, even you are coming back again. Hope you will have many more happy typing up wonderful topics to talk about. I am deaf and native from Canada. I am just an ordinary housewife who like to discuss about deaf education and other deaf community things. I am happy to meet you and your son. :wave:

Hi, ASLpup!
FSDB is supposed to be very good. Generally when the mainstream sped sucks, the specialized schools tend to be a lot better!
Is your son high functioning? You know, its possible that he might be smarter then they think. Downs kids tend to have a lot of trouble with spoken language in general.
I know too that FSDB has a good multihandicapped program. Most deaf/specialized schools do.

wow thanks for the welcome!
I will let you all know how it goes getting my son into FSDB. He is a smart kid, high functioning for Downs, but because he has limited language... he comes off as not smart... but he learns signs so fast.. usually you show him a sing once or twice and he does not forget it!
I went to a Deaf picnic today. I really enjoy the cameraderie that the Deaf show each other. My son likes being around people who can sign.
Judy
aim: aslpup

Welcome to AD, aslpup. You are definately on the right track.

Back