Re-Inroduction

codiberry

Reaction score
Hello!
I haven't been on in several months so I thought it appropriate to introduce myself again.

I'm Codi, I'm a nursing student in Illinois but I am moving in December back home to Oklahoma. I feel that in the medical field, having a firm knowledge of ASL is a very useful thing especially when moving to a town that isn't very far from the Oklahoma School for the Deaf. I am planning to go on to be a Midwife (home birth hopefully) and I feel that if I am fluent in ASL that with also open up this option to the Deaf and HOH mothers as well.

I have always wanted to learn ASL and Deaf culture (all culture really) fascinates me.

Okay enough babble! But feel free to message me, I love making new friends.

Welcome to alldeaf!
Ooh I really wanna study midwifery too! And a big shout to you in oklahoma from Ireland!:)

Welcome to alldeaf!
Ooh I really wanna study midwifery too! And a big shout to you in oklahoma from Ireland!:)

LMAO! I want to finish my Midwifery training and move to Ireland! I was born in America but my family is from County Cork and Kilarney (back about 3-5 generations).

Welcome, Codi and :thumb: on learning ASL. I often hear of problems the deaf person usually face in the hospital.

Welcome, Codi and :thumb: on learning ASL. I often hear of problems the deaf person usually face in the hospital.

:ty: I have seen the problems people have in person. I did a little emergency 'terping (HORRIBLY mind you bc I did A LOT of finger spelling) when I was in the working in the ER because they were having trouble finding the actual interpreter. That was one of my catalysts for wanting to improve my ASL. I'm mostly self taught from books and such.

:ty: I have seen the problems people have in person. I did a little emergency 'terping (HORRIBLY mind you bc I did A LOT of finger spelling) when I was in the working in the ER because they were having trouble finding the actual interpreter. That was one of my catalysts for wanting to improve my ASL. I'm mostly self taught from books and such.

Best way to learn ASL is from the deaf people. Hang around where they congregate like churches, bowling/deaf sports and deaf club if there is one near you.

Best way to learn ASL is from the deaf people. Hang around where they congregate like churches, bowling/deaf sports and deaf club if there is one near you.

I agree but I have two questions reguarding that.

1) how do I find where the deaf hangouts are and 2) and I guess this isn't a questions so much as a fear that no one will be willing to be my friend and help me.

I realize that last bit does sound a bit childish but aren't we all looking for friends in life? And looking back most of my important skills were learned from friends.

Hello!
I am planning to go on to be a Midwife (home birth hopefully) and I feel that if I am fluent in ASL that with also open up this option to the Deaf and HOH mothers as well.

Welcome. My second mom is into midwife stuff and is also fluent in ASL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!
I am planning to go on to be a Midwife (home birth hopefully) and I feel that if I am fluent in ASL that with also open up this option to the Deaf and HOH mothers as well.

Welcome. My second mom is into midwife stuff and is also fluent in ASL.

Second mom? Lesbian? Cause that's cool. I don't know many other LGBT people, I have been a military wife for 5 years and DADT has pretty much kept us closeted. I am Bi and Proud!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Codi! Your ish-Irish?!
Awesome!:) I haven't met any one on this irish or partially irish!

LOL, with the bright red hair, fair skin and freckles to prove it! There's some welsh and scottish thrown in too for good measure. I joke that I'm a British Isle mutt.

Does Ireland have it's own sign language or do you use BSL or ASL?

I agree but I have two questions reguarding that.

1) how do I find where the deaf hangouts are and 2) and I guess this isn't a questions so much as a fear that no one will be willing to be my friend and help me.

I realize that last bit does sound a bit childish but aren't we all looking for friends in life? And looking back most of my important skills were learned from friends.

Google is your best bet.

Yeah, tell me about making new frirends... I moved here almost 3 years and made quite few friends. I have to give it time for them to warm up to me.

Edit: Here is a Chicago Deaf club... Chicago Club of the Deaf - Chicago Club of the Deaf If it is too far, ask them for anything closer to your area.

Hello!
I haven't been on in several months so I thought it appropriate to introduce myself again.

I'm Codi, I'm a nursing student in Illinois but I am moving in December back home to Oklahoma. I feel that in the medical field, having a firm knowledge of ASL is a very useful thing especially when moving to a town that isn't very far from the Oklahoma School for the Deaf. I am planning to go on to be a Midwife (home birth hopefully) and I feel that if I am fluent in ASL that with also open up this option to the Deaf and HOH mothers as well.

I have always wanted to learn ASL and Deaf culture (all culture really) fascinates me.

Okay enough babble! But feel free to message me, I love making new friends.

Welcome to AD... I had a midwife that delievered both of my children. She knows ASL and it was a plus.

It will open up a great oportunity for you.

Same!! Fair skin (with BILLIONS of freckles): check, ginger hair: check. I swear it is soo annoying when you go off on holidays and you get sunburnt. I like to think I look attractive, totally looking awesome in the tomato look(; I don't know SL but in Ireland we use ASL (i think!)- it would be interesting to learn it, but theres no-where near me for lessons.

Back