Rather than be rude...

PConsidine

Reaction score
Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Pete. I found this site while doing some preliminary internet research for an independent feature film I'm developing. My main characters are a deaf woman and her long time interpreter and, though I had some contact with the deaf world in college (I went to RIT in the early 90s and worked with many deaf students in the Art School's computer labs), I didn't think I was even nearly familiar enough with the Deaf community and experience to be able to write about it concinvingly.

I expect I'll mostly be reading and seeing what's on the minds of the Deaf community, but I'm more than happy to hear what people think I should know in order to write about these characters, so feel free to send me a message.

Oh - and I am hearing (though, after many years as a musician hanging around in rock clubs, not nearly as well as I once did).

Nice to have ya with us, Pete. You should check out some blogs and vlogs (if you know or are learning ASL), too. Maybe you'll be lucky to find a few consultants. I do know that different levels of perspectives exist in the Deaf community, and it might depend on what you're looking for to fit in with your story. It might help to know what kind of story you are looking for with these main characters. Maybe we can help you by sharing possibilities of how we might react in that story as these characters. We got interpreters here as members too. Instead of talking about this topic in an intro thread, may I recommend making a new thread devoted to this if you haven't already?

Speaking of blogs and vlogs, may I recommend our resident movie buff Banjo to ask about your movie? He does thorough and professional (IMO) reviews for movies in addition to social commentaries about Deaf community, and he is deaf. Just the person you might be looking for! His blog is at Banjo's World - tell him I referred you! :)

Please keep us updated about your movie. Sounds very fascinating, and I think it takes balls to admit that you need to learn more about Deaf community before making a movie about it. I respect that.

Liza, I'm usually very aware of what I don't know, so admitting it is a short step. ;) And thanks for the idea to start a new thread. I'd really love to know what people feel about the situation I'm tackling. Might I ask which forum you think it would be most appropriate in?

Learning ASL is definitely on my list of things to do. I have a thing about being able to speak to people in their native language and I'm hoping to cast a deaf actress in the lead role. Besides the fact that ASL will be integral to the story anyway, so I should really be familiar with it from a writer's point of view.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Liza, I'm usually very aware of what I don't know, so admitting it is a short step. ;) And thanks for the idea to start a new thread. I'd really love to know what people feel about the situation I'm tackling. Might I ask which forum you think it would be most appropriate in?

Learning ASL is definitely on my list of things to do. I have a thing about being able to speak to people in their native language and I'm hoping to cast a deaf actress in the lead role. Besides the fact that ASL will be integral to the story anyway, so I should really be familiar with it from a writer's point of view.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

You might check this movie out: Soundproof (2006) (TV) - IMDb user comments

Was okay, and touched on some interesting elements.

Good luck!

nice to see hearing people here. You are greatly welcome :)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

Hi :wave:

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :) ...

Back