Random Question: Tattoos

zethrine44

Reaction score
Hi so I'm writing a paper on tattoos for an English class. I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on the subject. When and where on your body did you get a tattoo? What was the reason? If you don't have a tattoo but want one, why and what do you want? Write pretty much anything you have on tattoos. Anything you guys and gals want to say about tattoos say it.(please don't be rude or vulgar). If you'd rather not talk about in an open forum send me a private message. Anything will help, Thanks.

BTW: I have "I'll be in Scotland afore ye." above some scroll work and the name "Markey" (it was my aunts nickname) below the scroll.

Hi so I'm writing a paper on tattoos for an English class. I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on the subject. When and where on your body did you get a tattoo? What was the reason? If you don't have a tattoo but want one, why and what do you want? Write pretty much anything you have on tattoos. Anything you guys and gals want to say about tattoos say it.(please don't be rude or vulgar). If you'd rather not talk about in an open forum send me a private message. Anything will help, Thanks.

Zethrine,

I currently have three pieces on me. The chinese symbol for "older sister" on the inside of my right wrist, a tribal wolf with a rose on my left lower leg and a triqueta in the middle of my back.
I got the chinese tat bout 3 weeks before my little sister left for Iraq (one of our last bonding moments), she got one that said "little/younger sister" on the left side outter ankle. The wolf and rose-to be honest, wasn't really a reason, I just really love wolves and the rose was a nice touch. As for the triqueta, it has many meanings behind the symbology (from the number "3" which can represent past, present, future; stages in life: child, mother, elder...etc. Also a symbol of protection; I've been through a lot and it was a reminder to me that my past brought me to my present in turn will bring a future.

I believe that tattoos can say so much about that person when it's not used in distaste e.g. crappy pen ink jobs carved out initials of the person you love/d at that moment...etc. There are so many different styles and ways of expressing yourself with art...the skin is a canvas, the imagination is the art...tattoos are addicting but it's a good thing that I'm poor otherwise, I may be filled up already!

When I get old(er) and my memories have started to fade, I want to look at my body (hopefully I can still see :lol: ) and trace over that piece of my personal history that I felt was so important to permanently mark myself.

Hopefully this helps a little bit - Good luck on your paper! I would honestly enjoy reading it if you wouldn't mind (after you're done, of course)

Tone

wow tone thanks so much! that was really interesting and helpful. question though: what's a "triqueta"? i feel like i should know what that means but i don't and curiosity is a fickle mistress ;) hope your sister is safe

question though: what's a "triqueta"?

The "father, Son and Holy Ghost" of Christianity. Sorta looks like three leaves embraced by their silhouette on the corners. I have seen it in tattoos, looks allot like Celtic, or tribal when done in gray scale. A pretty symbol.

Could have other meanings too........like maybe three sisters ? Triplets ? A series of three. Good choice on ink, has meaning to the person who bears it.

Ever what Charmed?
Their symbol is the Triqueta - I've been looking at getting one on my wrist but we'll see, like Tone I'm poor lol

I have 4 tattoos currently.
I have Japanese characters "Woman" & "Power" on my right arm - representation is fairly clear there :)

I have a tribal-ish Phoenix on my upper back - Phoenix representing eternal life

I have a Dragon on my lower back - Dragons represent teacher or guidence

I have an Egyptian Ankh behind my left ear - Ankh is the Egyptian Cross that represents enternal life.

All of my tatts mean something to me.

I'm looking at getting my fifth... I want to get an equal sign (=) on my ring finger.
I support that gay rights should be equal rights and the gay community should marry.
I believe in Australia we are close to legalising it but I'm a big advocate for it.
My best friend wants to marry her gf next Oct - I want it to be legal for them (doesn't matter if it isn't, they're still having a wedding!

wow tone thanks so much! that was really interesting and helpful. question though: what's a "triqueta"? i feel like i should know what that means but i don't and curiosity is a fickle mistress ;) hope your sister is safe
if you are going to get a symbol inked on your body, learn every aspect of its meaning.
triquetra
the series Charmed made the symbol extremely popular.

triquetra means "the mark of the Beast 666" on this site :roll:

Symbols have different meanings too different people. Take the swastika for example. It has many meanings and is an explosive topic.

if you are going to get a symbol inked on your body, learn every aspect of its meaning.
triquetra

Symbols have different meanings too different people. Take the swastika for example. It has many meanings and is an explosive topic.

THAT is good information, thank you for posting it ! I was going from memory, plus what I had been taught. Much wisdom in knowng the FULL meaning of the ANYTHING you get fpr a tattoo.

Thanks for the information C.C. Sinned

you're welcome.
there is a wealth of information on the meaning of symbols. the true meanings most symbols have been polluted over the centuries. so researching the meaning is important. especially if one has to defend their belief in it.

examples such as the Leben Rune (Life Rune), another multifaceted symbol, that has Norse origins and was adopted by the Nazis. so people often misinterpret the meaning. Norse heathen symbols are not hate symbols, now check out symbols used by racists. The "Life Rune" is in both. So does that make someone with "Life Rune" a racist or Norse heathen? Not all Norse heathen, Odinist or an Asatruar are racists. There are some that are... So one best have knowlege of the meaning of the symbol.

other ancient symbols

triquetra

Many symbols are actually good but certain groups exploit them and now are seen to be evil.

Swatika and the pentagrams are good examples.
A pentagram is a symbol of protection yet it's seen now as "Devil Worship"
The Nazi's reversed the Swatika and now it's seen as a symbol of hate.

Many symbols are actually good but certain groups exploit them and now are seen to be evil.

Swatika and the pentagrams are good examples.
A pentagram is a symbol of protection yet it's seen now as "Devil Worship"
The Nazi's reversed the Swatika and now it's seen as a symbol of hate.

that is exactly why someone must have full knowlege of the meanings. unfortunately even having well informed debate on the subject, will not sway narrow-minded opinions of some people. especially about religious views. pentagram or triquetra = "Devil Worship" :roll:

that is exactly why someone must have full knowlege of the meanings. unfortunately even having well informed debate on the subject, will not sway narrow-minded opinions of some people. especially about religious views. pentagram or triquetra = "Devil Worship" :roll:

Well you can't help narrowmindedness!
But I do agree with you - you should research something if you wish to make it permanent on your body.

Too many ppl get a tat cos it looks "cool" and have no idea what it means.

I remember looking through Failbook (Facebook fails) and someone was "hardcore" into Devil worship and decided to get a pentagram tattooed on him and posted a pic... Dude got a Star of David...

Hmmmmmmm Dumb arse lol

rotfl3.gif

you're welcome.
there is a wealth of information on the meaning of symbols. the true meanings most symbols have been polluted over the centuries. so researching the meaning is important. especially if one has to defend their belief in it.

This is an important point, I have a friend who got three Ks written over a cross. The Ks represented the letter of a women's name in his life, all started with the letter K. The problem with the tattoo wasn't that people thought him racist as if he was associated with a specific group, rather, people thought those letters meant either three people or one person had died.
And, while it could be argued that his ex wife was dead to him, his ex really wasn't deceased. So, the tattoo's meaning was confusing.

Sorry ladies and gents I haven't had a chance to respond.
Like a few have stated, the "triquerta" has different meanings, just like most symbols. To C.C.Sinned, no offense, but anything that society doesn't understand or is not willing to take the time to actually find out the history in regards to the symbology of a design (especially in a dominant Christian country) seem to deem it as Satanic or in some relation to the devil.
The show "Charmed" does have a similiarity to the symbol that is on my back, but it's not because I'm a huge fan of "Charmed" (which I am not, although their Halloween episode is fairly accurate in Pagan tradition/rituals/sabbats).
I even had a person come up to me last summer and ask me if I was a fan of Led Zepplin because of the symbol, apparently it's something similiar to the band....but again, not remotely close to the meaning for me.
As for Zethrine, you're quite welcome and glad to hear that you did so well on your paper, way to go!
And as for my sister, she's home and just finished her last weekend for the reserve! Yipee!

Back