Quick question

nickless.

Reaction score
I don't know how the situation is in the USA but where I come from (Portugal) there aren't many lectures, conferences and classes for the deaf community.

To help fighting this problem I and a group of friends are trying to create a product. We want to develop a software that would either:
a) Automatically transform speech to text which would appear on screen (like subtitles for a foreign movie).
or
b) Automatically transform speech to text to sign language using a computer animated avatar that would also appear in screen (imagine like this but adapted to power point apresentations).

This would make possible to the deaf community to understand lectures given by people who don't know sign language. As you can imagine, software b) would be harder to make so we will only follow that path if it's worth it. So my question is: Would your experience be better with the sign language avatar instead of only text?

imho, text is faster.
Although the avatar would be nice, i'm thinking that the avatar would not be 'fluid' in its movement. Having to shift from one word, or phrase, to the next would take more time.
But that's me.

Someone had posted something i think in the technology section of the forum where they were already building or have built an app. I forget the name, but it's the exact same concept, except it's for group conversation. May want to use the search function to see if you can find it.

Sorry you don't have resources in Portugal. But it's great that you guys are trying to do something about it.

Thanks for your input.
Will take a look in the technology section to see if I can find that topic.

Back