Questions??

Oakley_04

Reaction score
Has anyone expreince flying with their dogs?? I plan to take my dog with me to Phoenix, Az in july, as we are moving.. any advice on what to do etc. it will just be one way there. What shots are required, cage or crate...

thanks

Is your dog a service dog? If not, check with the dog's vet.

Check with your airline for their restrictions and you may have to pay a fee to have pet go with you in the plane. If the dog is small, you can get a small kennel and stow it under the seat in front of you. If it's a large dog, you can get a big kennel and have airline put it in a special cargo for pets storage compartment that is pressurized. It depends on airlines, so you have to ask them what their policy is and things like that.

My Dad wouldn't take our dog on the plane, he doesn't approve how they place the animals on the plane, that they are in the storage where the bags are, and I even was told that some dogs has died that way due to pressure and the coldness.

My Dad wouldn't take our dog on the plane, he doesn't approve how they place the animals on the plane, that they are in the storage where the bags are, and I even was told that some dogs has died that way due to pressure and the coldness.

Yes, some dogs were also panic in the dark, uncomfortable background sound (maybe engines), and died.

I am not sure why I don't see anyone carry their dog on the plane (not in the cargo). I used to fly a lot.

Would be great if the airlines would allow pet owners to have their pets with them on the plane.....say under 10 lbs. ....and wearing a diaper. Even a muzzle if the flight wasn't too long?

My dog goes with me everywhere....even shopping...so I have an extra set of car keys and leave the car running with the AC on or the heat. She's spoiled! If I try to go somewhere and leave her at home, she will actually howl and cry.....Yeah, she's got me trained!

I would not have my dog in the cargo area of a plane.

I would check with the airline, some airlines do not allow dogs to be carried on but if you have the proper crate/cage you will be able to. Also another option is having it shipped to you where ever you are. When I bought my dog we paid 250.00 for her to be flown in from another state. It all depends on the airline, type of service etc... I have also carried her on. I had a bag for her and it was approved. She is very small though, less than 5 lbs.. I would just call the airline and check.

Check with your vet first to see if your dog is healthy enough to fly, also check with the airline on what the restrictions are for flying your dog.

Your dog can go in the cargo area of the plane as extra luggage, but with it being bloody hot in Phoenix right now, I doubt any airliner is going to fly your dog.

You can also look into doing transports where your dog is driven by generous people to your new destination while you fly.

A lot of breed specific rescue groups do this to cut down on shipping costs for rescued and abandoned animals and the transports are often done by volunteers.

Since this isn't a rescue operation, you may have to pay a small fee to have a transport done, which is cheaper than flying your dog, and probably a lot safer too since most vehicles are temperature controlled.

OR another option is, if us ADers can set up a transport to have his dog driven cross country while he flies.

Can you tell me from Phoenix where are you moving to?

Southwest allows small pets, raises, adds fees

Dogs, cats allowed for $75 each way; other new charges will begin June 17

DALLAS - Southwest Airlines Co., which has bashed competitors for charging fees, said Friday it will add new fees for passengers who bring small pets onboard and for unaccompanied minors.

It will also raise the charge for checking a third piece of luggage or an overweight bag.

Other airlines have raised hundreds of millions of dollars since last year with new fees that include charges for checking one or two pieces of luggage and talking to reservations agents on the phone.

Southwest fired back by spending heavily on television commercials that blasted other airlines for charging "hidden fees." Southwest officials said they were winning customers turned off by the new bag fees.

On Friday, Southwest officials defended their own new fees, which Chief Executive Gary Kelly called "just the starting point" for more changes later this year.

"It is always our goal to be upfront with our customers and to set the right customer expectations," Kelly said. "Our changes today associate a charge for items that are truly an extra service."

Southwest has lost money the last three quarters, and it has joined all other airlines in searching for new revenue, a job made more difficult by a downturn in travel during the recession.

Southwest already charges for checking three or more pieces of luggage and for cocktails, and it is testing onboard Internet access for a fee. Kelly hinted last month that new fees were coming, while insisting they wouldn't be "hidden," by which he seemed to mean fees on first and second checked bags.

"It's disingenuous on our part to say that there are no, quote, fees," Kelly said last month. "We just try to be as honest and straightforward and have the right expectation with our customers on fees as we can."

Kelly said hidden fees are ones "that people don't think are right."

Starting with flights on June 17, Southwest will let small dogs and cats onboard — now only service animals are allowed — for $75 each way.

The Dallas-based discount airline will also begin charging $25 each way for unaccompanied children ages 5 through 11. That fee will apply to tickets bought after May 31 for travel June 17 or later.

And the fee for a third checked bag or a bag over 50 pounds but less than 71 pounds will rise to $50 from $25. Like JetBlue, Southwest still doesn't charge for the first two checked bags.

Veteran travel industry expert Terry Trippler said the new fees probably won't upset too many Southwest travelers.

"The fees for pets is something all airlines have — in fact, some are close to $150 one way, so at $75 Southwest is pretty low," Trippler said. Likewise, he said many airlines charge more for unaccompanied minors.

Trippler said bump in third-bag fee might cause some groaning, but Southwest said only 1 percent of travelers check a third bag.

Southwest allows small pets, adds new fees

Mod Note:

Thread's moved to proper location from General Chat to Travel & Leisure. ;)

Back