Questions

angelstar819

Reaction score
I’m currently doing a paper on the Deaf subculture for my cultural anthropology class. If you use ASL as your primary mode of communication, I would really appreciate it if you could answer these questions for me. Please do not feel obligated to answer all of them, but the more you answer, the better it will help me write my paper. It would be great if you guys could answer them within a couple days. Thanks in advanced!

1. What are some of the traditions, rituals, or activities that you participate/observe, with your Deaf friends? (e.g. shaking of hands when applauding, name signs, etc.)

2. I know that one of the main traditions for Deaf individuals is the preservation of ASL for generations to come. But how do you feel when you hear about those who are deaf are being implanted with cochlear implants and learning to speak and listen, rather than learn ASL?

3. What are some of the common values/morals do you share with other Deaf people?

4. Are there any symbols that are commonly used among Deaf people? (e.g. “I love you” sign, etc.)

5. Are there any jargon/slang present among Deaf people? (e.g. “deafie,” etc.)

6. When you meet another Deaf person from another state or a different part of the United States, do you find that some of their signs are different from what you are taught? If so, give examples.

I know many ASL Deaf people who have never even used computers much less joined on-line discussion boards. Unless you go out and beat the bushes, you won't get a comprehensive cross section of ASL Deaf responses.

I’m currently doing a paper on the Deaf subculture for my cultural anthropology class. If you use ASL as your primary mode of communication, I would really appreciate it if you could answer these questions for me. Please do not feel obligated to answer all of them, but the more you answer, the better it will help me write my paper. It would be great if you guys could answer them within a couple days. Thanks in advanced!

1. What are some of the traditions, rituals, or activities that you participate/observe, with your Deaf friends? (e.g. shaking of hands when applauding, name signs, etc.)

2. I know that one of the main traditions for Deaf individuals is the preservation of ASL for generations to come. But how do you feel when you hear about those who are deaf are being implanted with cochlear implants and learning to speak and listen, rather than learn ASL?

3. What are some of the common values/morals do you share with other Deaf people?

4. Are there any symbols that are commonly used among Deaf people? (e.g. “I love you” sign, etc.)

5. Are there any jargon/slang present among Deaf people? (e.g. “deafie,” etc.)

6. When you meet another Deaf person from another state or a different part of the United States, do you find that some of their signs are different from what you are taught? If so, give examples.

Deaf Culture is not a subculture, but qualifies as a true culture.

Seriously..................Do any college students actually get their butts off the computer and do research on their own?? Dear God. If any of my college professors had given that assignment we would have had to come back with proof that we had been to an event where we had submersed ourselves into the culture we were studing. You can not get the "true feeling" of the culture or see the body languge of the person giving the answer by asking an online board. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :pissed:

Ok my rant is over.

Back