Questions on my ASL Homework

LOL

This is great! What I find funny is 1st, you ask a homework question as your 1st post (which, I guess isn't the worst thing in the world), but then you proceed to be irritated and start insulting VIP members of this forum when they are not willing to give you an answer!

I am a member of several math help forums and absolutely HATE when brand new members don't even try in the slightest. Even if you put something down that was a guess, and explained your thought process on how you got there, I'm almost positive you would have gotten more positive feedback then the "Here is my homework, do it now!" attitude.

Also, if your deaf friends recommended this site, why not ask your deaf friends? Surely they could answer them as well as anyone on this site AND you would be practicing your ASL skills

Just my opinion though

Reba, we didn't have the Internet when you and I were undergrads :) -- think of it as a really big study group.

A study group consists of students who are in the same course of study at the same institution; generally in the same class.

This is more like going to the library, and saying, "hey, I know you can tell me where the book is, but why don't you just tell me this answer and save us both time?"

Roughing up of newcomers is a perfect way for people to come to the wrong conclusion about the deaf community. As previously mentioned, hearing people can be part of the community as well. Although I appreciate the comments of several the the participants in this thread, several of your members are doing more harm to the community image than good.

I appreciate the answers I did get, but I really wish I had not had to be verbally abused to get them. This site comes highly recommended by me Deaf friends. I was not expecting what I found.

To answer Reba, yes. I ask for help everywhere I can find it. I have learning disabilities and need the extra help sometimes. However, all AllNerds dot com or AllGrammarNazis dot com, I am not treated this way.

In "the real world" you would probably not be "roughed up." Deaf people "just disappear."

The Deaf community is reciprocal. Helping each other is normal. Those who give to the community receive from the community.

Hearie students pop into places where Deaf people are, expect people to give them time out of their lives, knowledge they have earned, so the student can get a good grade, get a better pay scale, or some other reason, and when they have what the want they disappear without ever thinking of giving anything back. Often not even buying the person teaching them a cup of coffee.

In "the real world" you would probably not be "roughed up." Deaf people "just disappear."

The Deaf community is reciprocal. Helping each other is normal. Those who give to the community receive from the community.

Hearie students pop into places where Deaf people are, expect people to give them time out of their lives, knowledge they have earned, so the student can get a good grade, get a better pay scale, or some other reason, and when they have what the want they disappear without ever thinking of giving anything back. Often not even buying the person teaching them a cup of coffee.

Hey, speaking of this... standing invitation to anyone from AD - if you're in Cincy, come to the Starbucks downtown in the morning any day of the week, and say hi, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

Reading the book: Deaf in America.

I'm hard of hearing person and learning this beautiful American Sign Language. Its a bit different from Ukrainian Sign Language.

The critical answers to the questions you are asking I have my own understanding after reading the book.

1) State two ways that ASL stories are essential to Deaf culture?

I answered:

a) ASL stories are the creation of different meaning of deaf culture. Page number 26.

b) Understanding backgrounds, opinions, views, and ideas from other people whether they are deaf or children of deaf parent. (either hearing or Hard of Hearing). Understanding how the language or the sign was developed, used and discussed by deaf children. Different understanding and use of the sign by other deaf children.

2) List two cultural adaptations Deaf people make while associating with hearing people in hearing-culture environment.

i answered my own ideas:

a) Learning to recognize the difference between deaf and hearing community and the way they behave.

b) Learning the difference between ASL and English language.

The reason i chose those answers was because they are also part of adapting and surviving in hearing environment.

My advice to you, always use the index pages at the end of the book. They have keywords made specially for people if they can't find the answers they are looking for (keyword to the answers they seeking).

:wave:

Vikusha.

Last edited:

Agree with this, this isnt algebra, it is a forum not homework help line. To the OP, if your "deaf friends" couldnt help you in answering those questions, then they probably dont exist...

Hearing people are just like you when they want to get answers or try to reason with us about hearing world like getting CI so that we can have perfect hearing.

As for me, I am being blunt to hearing people who thinks that they know all about deafness and trying to control us to do their bidding. It is the same with Native Americans who had to put up with white people who are putting them down and make them change their ways. Ha! That is the worse thing when there is no freedom to let us be who we are as people (humans).

Here you are demanding us to answer your questions, when you can not find a way to associate with Deaf people at the Deaf Event. That is not a nice way. Uh-uh, no way for you to treat us for rudeness. You are being rude, too. So why can we be rude to you also? Is this how you treat people no matter if you are not satisfied or feel superior that being white and hearing are better than we are? The big word is to show respect our differences. I hope you learn something about this forum here.

I'm really glad to actually see you post these questions from your homework. It isn't really any different than if you went on google typed the questions in and got an answer from an article. However, this way you get answers that are directly from people in the community giving them more value than a researched driven article. Its not much different than me as a new Educator asking a teacher for an answer to a classroom management question. It actually just makes my source a primary one as oppose to a secondary source. I'm sorry that people were quick to not help. I personally found that those who did respond helped shed some light on deaf culture. Its homework and not a test. The whole purpose of homework is to show that you have understanding and knowledge. If you copied the entire assignment from a classmate, that would be considered cheating. Asking people here isn't much different than saying to your professor you were having a hard time finding the answer... your professor may have even suggested asking someone in the deaf community.

I'm really glad to actually see you post these questions from your homework. It isn't really any different than if you went on google typed the questions in and got an answer from an article. However, this way you get answers that are directly from people in the community giving them more value than a researched driven article. Its not much different than me as a new Educator asking a teacher for an answer to a classroom management question. It actually just makes my source a primary one as oppose to a secondary source. I'm sorry that people were quick to not help. I personally found that those who did respond helped shed some light on deaf culture. Its homework and not a test. The whole purpose of homework is to show that you have understanding and knowledge. If you copied the entire assignment from a classmate, that would be considered cheating. Asking people here isn't much different than saying to your professor you were having a hard time finding the answer... your professor may have even suggested asking someone in the deaf community.

Bold statement That is exactly what happen when a person want to demand someone do to his/her homework. If he can not learn how to study and trying to find information like going to the Deaf event. Then that will be cheating if he return the paper that is not his/her own.

He/she might learn something by watching and signing with them. You might even ask them if you are curious of what they are doing. They will give you feedback or information that you need to know. If you don't study, then you are going to have to go for failure in your study test. Wake and smell the coffee and get busy go to Deaf event or Deaf community in real life. Or better yet, you can browse around the forum and there are lots of information about our deafness and Deaf Culture. So get busy on that. Good luck on your test. :cool2:

Back