Questions for a project?

Benny Lips13

Reaction score
I figure this might work better than my previous post, but I am a HOH student researching how deaf and HOH utilize instant messaging compared to the hearing world. Please answer any questions that interest you.
9. How specifically has text messaging changed how you communicate with other hard of hearing or deaf individuals?

10.How specifically has text messaging changed how you communicate with other hearing individuals?

11.How specifically has Facebook changed how you communicate with other hard of hearing individuals?

12.How specifically has Facebook changed how you communicate with other hearing individuals?

13.Do you feel you communicate differently via text message compared to your perception of how the average hearing person utilizes text messages? If yes, then how so?

14.Do you feel you communicate differently via Facebook compared to your perception of how the average hearing person utilizes Facebook? If yes, then how so?

15.Do you feel that communication through text messaging is narrowing or increasing the communication gap between the deaf and hearing cultures? Why?

16.Do you feel communication via Facebook is narrowing or increasing the communication gap between the deaf and hearing cultures? Why?

17.Other Comments?

Ok, so I can't answer any of your questions to the degree that you're wanting because I can hear, but I did consider the questions and what I came up with was this: (And please bear with me as I suspect I will come across as pretty naive and/or ignorant regarding the matter.)
How would the invention and popularity of things like Facebook and text messaging have any different effect on communications be SIGNIFICANTLY different for d/Deaf people than for hearing people? Now, before you go doing the "head smack" and wondering how I could be so stupid, let me explain my reasoning on this. It's no secret that technology has created all new means of communication for everyone and it has changed the way people communicate almost entirely. Seriously, how often do we write letters in pen/pencil and snail mail them to the recipient these days? It's so much easier and faster to Facebook, text, email, video chat, instant message, etc etc. So yes, there has been a change, but why would that change be any different from one group to the other? I realize the obvious - ie: for those that do not know how to sign it opened communication lines between them and those who sign as their primary language, but how would say, the "Facebook experience" be different for a d/Deaf person as opposed to a hearing person? Facebook isn't a sound based program and since sound is the only determining factor between the 2 groups, why would that determine how a person utilizes it? I also don't understand why any of the newer technological means of communication would affect the contact between a d/Deaf person and a HoH person. It is unlikely that 2 people would use texting or Facebook to carry on a conversation if they were sitting right next to each other (though yes, I do realize it happens and have done it myself when "we" didn't want everyone else to know who we were talking to or what we were saying, but that's not the type of situation I'm referring to here). So assuming it's a matter of chatting from a distance, I would think these programs would just be a matter of choice or convenience just like it is for hearing people.
Ok, so there's my book. Attack at will. ;)

I am also hearing and don't have any real comparative insight, but I can tell you that my dad and I would "text" my deaf aunt via landline phone (TDD) years before cell phones were invented and mainstreamed. So... it almost seems like you should be asking hearing people how they have learned to use deaf technology.

My girlfriend is hearing. I am deaf. SHe does not have messenger on her phone. I do. Therefore, when we are not home, we would text. When she is on her lap top, we would aim or do facebook messenger.

Sometimes, she asks me to call her just so that she can hear my voice. Not that I can use phone, but just to hear it.

It depends on your perception. If you thrive on using texts and messengers because you are deaf, be so it. If the hearing date does not like it, too bad. Move on to next person.

Back