Questions and hopefully answers

ASLMommax2

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a Mom of 2 girls a 14 yo with a profound hearing loss and a 2yo newly diagnosed as having a Severe reverse Slope hearing loss! I am at a complete loss at understanding the reverse slope. She has already been fitted for ear molds and has just begun a Parent Infant Program through the Learning Center for the Deaf in Massachusetts , also the school of our oldest daughter. Are we going in the right direction? Are their any of you that can fully explain this loss to me, I am completely and utterly confused. Any and all help-answers-suggestions are truly appreciated. Ronelle

well I'm kinda closer to your 2 year old kid since I have a moderate/severe with a severe loss in the high frequcies

the earmolds can be tough since kids grow out of them fast
and BTW, I will be getting Safaris (new hearing aids) probaly this week *gotta get that ordered*

and has just begun a Parent Infant Program through the Learning Center for the Deaf in Massachusetts , also the school of our oldest daughter. Are we going in the right direction? Are their any of you that can fully explain this loss to me, I am completely and utterly confused.
As a former hoh kid, yes you are going in the right direction. Think of it this way. Most audilogically hoh kids/kids who can get a lot of benifit from HAs don't really need a TON of intense speech therapy. We can learn to hear and talk relatively easily. (even without oral classes/oral schools a la Clarke) But a lot of times we don't get the benifit of ASL and Deaf Ed.
There are some Deaf Schools/formal programs that aren't that great with providing spoken language services, but TLC is NOT one of them. We actually even have a poster whose bilingal in both spoken English and ASL 4 year old attends TLC!
I do have to say that I have noticed a trend of parents of hoh kids sending them to schools or programs for the Deaf, rather then minimal accomondations mainstreaming them.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, you will have a lot of catching up with us on many of our topics about deafness, Deaf Culture, deaf perspective and understand what is the best way to the needs of the child.

If a hearing person does not accept the deaf child as he or she is, then the deaf child will have a difficult struggle trying to get comprehend in their classrooms without an ASL interpreter. Spoken language does not have to be important but they can speak if they want to without forcing. It is up to the child individual to opt for any way she want to learn in the school setting like Deaf school or the mainstream schools.

As for your 14 years old daughter, make sure she get the ASL interpreters in her classrooms unless she does not know ASL. She will have difficult trying to understand in every classroom in high school. If she knows ASL, then this is good. Also make sure she get the close captioned or open captioned in the films that the teachers are showing to hearing students about topic that the teacher want to teach. I hope my sentences make it clear enough for you. :)

Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Well, you will have a lot of catching up with us on many of our topics about deafness, Deaf Culture, deaf perspective and understand what is the best way to the needs of the child.

If a hearing person does not accept the deaf child as he or she is, then the deaf child will have a difficult struggle trying to get comprehend in their classrooms without an ASL interpreter. Spoken language does not have to be important but they can speak if they want to without forcing. It is up to the child individual to opt for any way she want to learn in the school setting like Deaf school or the mainstream schools.

As for your 14 years old daughter, make sure she get the ASL interpreters in her classrooms unless she does not know ASL. She will have difficult trying to understand in every classroom in high school. If she knows ASL, then this is good. Also make sure she get the close captioned or open captioned in the films that the teachers are showing to hearing students about topic that the teacher want to teach. I hope my sentences make it clear enough for you. :)

Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:
:gpost:

:wave: I have trouble understanding my own audiogram, so I am little help but you will find a lot of great advice here, perhaps you could post the audiogram just make sure to black out any personal info on it. This may make it easier for people to give advice.

But just wanted to say hi and welcome to AD I have found this site very helpful most of the people here are great!

As for your 14 years old daughter, make sure she get the ASL interpreters in her classrooms unless she does not know ASL.
Beobang, her 14 year old daughter attends TLC in MA. She has the benifit of Deaf School! (YAY!)
Oh and ASLMommax2. A reverse slope loss is a low frequency loss. This is actually the type of loss I have. (but I have moderate to severe to profound) I can't hear thunder (unless it's directly overhead) and men speaking too well, but at the same time I can hear a female without speechreading.
Blank Canvas and ASLMommax2, are you guys members of American Society for Deaf Children? American Society for Deaf Children

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. Our 14 yo daughter is full ASL in an ALL Deaf school and has everything she needs. In regards to our 2yo, thank you all for backing up what my heart was telling me in enrolling her in the TLC program, she is already ASL fluent, we made sure of pushing it when she was a baby so that she'de be able to communicate with her older sister, which obviously was a blessing considering the hearing loss we have recently found out she has ( she passed the newborn screeening) WHen able I will absolutely post the Audiogram, I am completely lost as to what it means, with our oldest it was all cut and dry with a profound loss, with this one its all new. BUT here is too many new adventures and again THANK YOU!

Hello Ronelle! We were in the TLC PIP program (and the school's all-ASL daycare) for nearly 2 wonderful years -- Nancy and Susan and all of the staff are just amazing, aren't they? We coordinated it with my daughter's early intervention program. In fact, my daughter's EI loved the program and school so much, she now works there as an SLP! Our CI audiologist at CH had been at TLC for years. -- it's like one big family.

My 4, nearly 5 YO is in now her 2nd year enrolled at TLC and thrives, just adores it. I think the world of that place, and one of these days I'd really like to get your perspective on how it's been for your daughter as she's gotten older, if, as someone who's been there, done that, you might want to impart some wisdom once in a while :). We've worked with some of the seniors as babysitters during the summer and the little one is in awe of the big kids, loves them. She misses Courtney H so much, who's been her 'big sister' there for almost 4 years until she graduated.

thank you all for backing up what my heart was telling me in enrolling her in the TLC program, she is already ASL fluent, we made sure of pushing it when she was a baby so that she'de be able to communicate with her older sister, which obviously was a blessing considering the hearing loss we have recently found out she has ( she passed the newborn screeening) WHen able I will absolutely post the Audiogram, I am completely lost as to what it means, with our oldest it was all cut and dry with a profound loss, with this one its all new
Wow....AWESOME how that worked out! :D I do have to say that I think Early Childhood/early grades in Deaf Schools are FAR supeior to what is offered in the mainstream for dhh kids. Even the Deaf Schools that aren't exactly awesome academicly (ie the old "oral/ mainstream "failures" dumping ground schools) are awesome in the early grades. (of course you don't have to worry about that with TLC, since it's a really really good school) Mainstream early intervention usually consists of something like "Easter Seals" type of preschools. You know, the kind with kids with all sorts of disablities, or an inclusion preschool where she'd get pull out services. You've got an AWESOME resource in TLC. I know there's no "one size fits all" approach for educating or figuring out what language approach to use for dhh kids.
BUT, if your daughter is fluent in ASL now and really seems to like it...go for it! You could have her attend for the early grades, and then see where it goes from there.
Hoh kids can and do benifit strongly from Deaf Ed.

Oh and I just wanted to add for any parents that may be lurking....it does seem like Deaf Schools and programs for th dhh are becoming more hoh friendly. They are generally not just for profound or severe unaided/unimplanted kids......they can be useful for almost any kid with a hearing loss. ..and one big advantage is that your child will have dhh specific educational resources, including speech therapists who know how to teach dhh kids.

Back