Questions about Tinnitus

Mechanical

Reaction score
I don't know too much about this and only know one person with it other than me. What I want to know is if it's normal for it to worsen at times and occasionally my ear gives out completely which throws my balance off. I'm not even sure where to look for information on this.

I think that's normal. My tinnitus goes in and out. I've also heard some things like caffeine can aggravate it.

Tinnitus is unfortunately more common than one thinks among those with hearing losses. Some people have very light or mild cases it where a HA or CI will "drown" it out. If not aided in any way, it will not be a huge distraction. The worst it is...the more stressful it can be. Some people have it so bad that they can't really function well. Fortunately, this level of tinnitus is rare. On the whole most people (who experience it) have it between mild and moderate.

You can find out a lot on it by simply googling either "Tinnitus" or "Tinnitus Symptoms"

Here are a couple of links you might look at...

Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention on eMedicineHealth.com

Tinnitus: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Tinnitus Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention Information on MedicineNet.com

avoid salt and caffiene as mucha s possible....I switched to instant coffee.....not folgers instant.......too much salt and too much coffee really set me off.
stress........
something to distract you......taking mind off it.
when I start to think about it the volume increases.
I get concerts going on.

I don't ingest much caffeine past the occasional pepsi or tea. And as for salt, I don't like it so I rarely have it. Right now what I do is play a white noise track I made on a loop to drown it out. It helps, but I can't have the headphone on all the time.

Most of this problem is because I had an ear tube in my right ear to help with the inner ear infections. But it caused a bad infection in the eardrum itself and screwed up the eardrum.

Mine started in the 80's I believe...it was really bad! Very loud sounds in my head, (roaring, static, etc.), then musical tinnitus. I avoided sleep, beuz when I tried to sleep, the music would continue, on and on. Actually thought I was going crazy.
Even when I'm driving, shopping, etc., it continues. Having conversations with friends sometimes is difficult as my mind will drift off.
I've been able to somewhat "control" it, but my mind is never silent. Hearing people assume that since ur deaf, then there's nothing but silence.....not true!

tinnitus

I don't know too much about this and only know one person with it other than me. What I want to know is if it's normal for it to worsen at times and occasionally my ear gives out completely which throws my balance off. I'm not even sure where to look for information on this.

There are several "triggers" for tinnitus - including the tonic water in Gin and Tonics.

There is an interesting line of research that suggests that tinnitus is a part of losing one's hearing. We are always surrounded by background "white" noise - and as we lose our hearing our brain no longer gets the input that it expects from that "white"noise - so it begins to fill in the gap by generating its own "noise."

In my case (an N of 1) getting my HAs has cured my tinnitus.

Late at night, when my dog and my wife are asleep, and the radio and TV are off, I am in a totally "quiet" house. Or so I think until I take my Versata HAs out of my ears. Wow - now THAT is quiet. I recognize how much background noise is generated by the furnace blower, the refrigerator motor, and the rustling of leaves in the trees outside.

If I leave my HAs out at the start of the day, my tinnitus returns. When they are in, it's gone.

I love to do experiments.

Tinnitus is a real pain in the a**. I have a severe to profound hearing loss and my tinnitus rings through my hearing aids. My hearing aids are Phonak Naida V UPs. My hearing aids are ultra-power and they are really strong and I can still hear it mostly in my worse ear. I also hear extra tones when I talk or eat or breathe. It is like a loud short sqeaking sound, like there is a nerve or something that is on its way to death and is trying to make its last little attempt at a sound. My ears are ringing very badly now that I have taken my hearing aids off for the night. I hear about 4 or 5 different tones with static altogether and its very loud. I wear my hearing aids 12 hours a day according to the data-log in my hearing aids and I cant seem to find anything loud enough to drown it out. I use my XM radio with headphones in my ear but I can still hear it and it keeps me awake. My ears need some time without anything them too. My hearing aids drown out most of it, but other tones are still there no matter how loud my hearing aids get. I hope one day it will quiet down some, its really intense to hear it all day and night 24/7.

Back