questions about specific signed phrases/situations

maryks

Reaction score
I've never had any real formal interpretor's training, and have some questions. The friend I interpret for likes me to act things out as much as translate, which happens to be something I'm good at doing, and enjoy. For instance, if the preacher is talking about Blind Bartimaeus calling out to Jesus, I sign with "loud" (larger) signs, and if the preacher says something about a flirtatious teen doing this or that, I act flirtatious (at least for a couple of moments). If he talks about someone being nervous or scared or sad or happy or excited, I act that out as well. Thing is, I have a preacher that really likes to illustrate his messages, and it is alot easier and faster to act out, for instance, a guy noticing a girl and letting his jaw drop as he eyes her, and then to act out her response, than to sign all the words, and it is easier for my friend to get the whole point as well. But is it ok to interpret by acting things out (sitting down, of course) in a church service?

If not, how can I get the point across, especially if the preacher is excited or is acting something out himself or relating stories, unless I do the same?

I'm gaining quite an audience at church, it seems. I don't really mind, if what I'm doing is appropriate. But if not, some direction would be greatly appreciated!!

I've never interpreted in a church.

Hi Markys,
I've done alot of interpreting(I'm, one myself) but I've never interpreted in a church.
I'm Jewish.
The deaf express them selfs not only with signs but also with their face.
I do interpert for a deaf girl whos Jewish at a Jewish school here in Southern California( In Orange County).
I bet the deaf person appericates you doing that.
Margie
Dir. of Commucaition Services
OCDAC

Back