Questions about owning GPS

whynatty

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.... but here it goes--

My dad has a Magellan GPS navigation system product for his car and it cost around $400 in 2004. This product currently needs to be updated, however, it cost $80 to buy the DVD with the new map/software online, plus it requires a PC with specific Window OS and a dvd drive to able to download the software. None of us own a PC, except that my dad use a PC at work, but he doesnt know if it has a dvd drive and doesnt even know what OS it has. Is it worth to buy the dvd? I am not familiar with this type of area but isn't it a rip off to spend $80 to update the program each time after spending $400 on the product or is it a normal process for owning a GPS? Anybody here have any suggestions as well?

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread.... but here it goes--

My dad has a Magellan GPS navigation system product for his car and it cost around $400 in 2004. This product currently needs to be updated, however, it cost $80 to buy the DVD with the new map/software online, plus it requires a PC with specific Window OS and a dvd drive to able to download the software. None of us own a PC, except that my dad use a PC at work, but he doesnt know if it has a dvd drive and doesnt even know what OS it has. Is it worth to buy the dvd? I am not familiar with this type of area but isn't it a rip off to spend $80 to update the program each time after spending $400 on the product or is it a normal process for owning a GPS? Anybody here have any suggestions as well?

Just to address one part of your post, I don't think it is a rip off to charge for a major update because the update is vital: Examples would be new restaurants, removing ones that closed or moved, new streets, same with hotels/motels.....lotta stuff like that.

Just to address one part of your post, I don't think it is a rip off to charge for a major update because the update is vital: Examples would be new restaurants, removing ones that closed or moved, new streets, same with hotels/motels.....lotta stuff like that.

Yeppers, and new streets in sprawling suburbs, too.

Yes, I am aware that it is important to update the system but... do you know if it's worth $80 to order the software?

Why have a GPS? Does he have very poor sense of direction?

Yes, I am aware that it is important to update the system but... do you know if it's worth $80 to order the software?
If the user lives in an area where the roads, businesses, and services don't change often, then an update might not be worthwhile. But if the user travels often, or urban sprawl is making big changes in the area, then the updates might be worthwhile. It just depends on how much it's worth to the individual.

That is a very subjective question and the answer is different for everybody.

Lol yes he gets lost easily. That's why my mom got him GPS for Xmas. But that's not the biggest concern in this post, isnt it? :-P
*gasps* A man... asking for GPS!?

*shakes head in shame*

I'm now ashamed to be a man! *sobbing*

;)

Doesn't the GPS update itself?

Since the GPS is connected to a network to determine where it is located, you would think that it would also ensure that everything is up-to-date... automatically.

Since the GPS is connected to a network to determine where it is located, you would think that it would also ensure that everything is up-to-date... automatically.

Vampy, I think the updates might be limited to "patch" updates so when there's a major update, then there's a charge for it and the update will over-write the old.....

Regarding of GPS, was speaking of Sidekick of whatever I, II, III ?

Get a Blackberry 8830 w/ GPS. I have one and it's neat. But it's not that fast tho.

Most GPS are updateable and can be connected thru PC for firmware update OR WiFi connection to any open Wireless for update. It depend on what brand, make, and model it have with features. Some GPS have Cellular connection that allow you to browse website and updates ect.

So your opinion varies. if you like easy to navigate menu, get one. Or If you like fancy menu w/ web browsing ect.. get it. What's in your wallet??:giggle:

Catty

I have con about GPS with mobile phone. It's usually slow. And you want to check msg or chat on mobile, you would have to switch and then lost track on GPS.

I would want to have both GPS and mobile phone separate, more easily to navigator.

I have Navman GPS, that updates the maps automatically via network connectivity.

Back