Questions about D/ HOH culture for son

Orrismom

Reaction score
Hello, all! I am hoping to gain some guidance. My 2 year old son, Orri, is HOH and has severe speech delay. We consistently use ASL to communicate because verbal just isn't working.

I want to be very respectful to the D/HOH community and culture, so I'm hoping to learn some guidelines. Since my son is HOH, am I also a part of the community as his mother? I have read that only a D/HOH person can give another person a sign name. Does this mean I cannot give my son and his brother a sign name, or are there different guidelines for the parents who are both hearing?

Like I stated, I want to be respectful of everyone, and I'm honestly kind of lost. We do not know at this point how well he can hear, because he does not have the maturity or capability at this point to say, "I heard that beep" at the audiology office.

I will probably also be asking a lot of questions. I apologize in advance but I feel like I need to learn as much as possible so I can make the best educated decisions about his care.

Thank you so much!

I would think that name sign rule applies more for those who are taking ASL classes or those that wants a name sign because they're dating someone that uses sign language. I don't think it applies to parents of babies who are deaf. I got my name sign from my hearing parents when I was 2 or 3 years old. Nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure he get ASL as a way to understand what is going on in the classrooms and other areas like at home. So keep doing this with him. He need that input so that he can be happy to sign with you and other people who sign with him. He will elevate much faster to learn what is happening around him. ASL rocks. :D

Hello, all! I am hoping to gain some guidance. My 2 year old son, Orri, is HOH and has severe speech delay. We consistently use ASL to communicate because verbal just isn't working.

I want to be very respectful to the D/HOH community and culture, so I'm hoping to learn some guidelines. Since my son is HOH, am I also a part of the community as his mother? I have read that only a D/HOH person can give another person a sign name. Does this mean I cannot give my son and his brother a sign name, or are there different guidelines for the parents who are both hearing?

Like I stated, I want to be respectful of everyone, and I'm honestly kind of lost. We do not know at this point how well he can hear, because he does not have the maturity or capability at this point to say, "I heard that beep" at the audiology office.

First off - welcome to AD! :wave: second, I see you are anxious, well driven mom which is fine. Now first for the sign names, I wouldnt worry about that too much, its not like a tribunal thing. Sign names seems to be given based on that person personalities. There is NO set rules WHO gives them out. If you want to give him a sign name, thats fine but tell me - can you base it on a 2 year old baby? I'd wait a bit. Whatever sign name you give him might be changed by his friends as there will be peer pressure and growing teenage pains.
Next, using ASL is just fine, but to say a SEVERE speech delay at 2yr old, umm he 2 years olds with hearing loss..... I'd say that he not ready. He will need more time so putting a harsh label on him is really not helping. Of COURSE he not babbling words yet- does deaf/hoh mean anything to people these days? Let me put it in this perspective -- you go to Mcdonald's and ask for a half dozen chicken nuggets and they say they dont sell half a dozen and go on to say they carry 6 piece, 12 piece ,etc. :roll: SAD.... This is what you will be dealing with evrywhere you go and its only up to you to educate yourself and others when they make remarks.

Do you want the best for your son? get the WHOLE family learn ASL. Even the grandmas/grandpas. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks, but understandably they wont be able to converse in ASL, but they can do enough like yes/no/help/ok/lets go/eat/ etc.

Its ok to feel lost, it can be overwhelming for a parent, only time will resolve this. Just remember - as the kid grows and get older, the more he matures and can start doing the things you want to do. Having 3 kids, I can honestly say it take time and phases but its always the first one to make YOU learn through mistakes and etc. :D Just a reminder - god doesnt give you more then what you can handle and obviously he picked you for a good reason. give it time and love. :hug:

Back