Questions about cochlear implants

CI surgery doesn't always destroy remaining hair cells / 'residual hearing'

My 4YO had the same results in unaided booth testing before and after CI surgery, which meant that she hadn't lost any 'residual hearing' or suffered noticeable damage (though, at a profound level, nothing useful with or without hearing aids). Her audi, however, mentioned that this level may deteriorate further over the years without stimulation of any functional hair cells and given a decline in the year just prior to surgery.

This may be even more common with the new smaller implants and better surgical techniques.

I still can hear with my implanted ear with the use of HA, although sounds are indeed muffled compared to pre-op. On my activation day, I walked into the clinic with TWO hearing aids on :cool2:
The hearing test a couple of days post-activation showed my hearing in the implanted ear was the same as before the surgery, but the "quality" of sound perception has definitely changed for me - things now sound muffled and not as crisp and rich as before (but nevertheless, I am happy with my new hearing and don`t regret a single bit).
Implanted with Cochlear Nucleus CI24RE, two years ago.

Back