Question

robanddog

Reaction score
Hello

I have a hearing impairment in both ears and when my hearing aids are in, I quite often miss the phone and door. But at night when they are out I miss everything, fire alarms I cant hear with my hearing aids in. My question is as follows. Where in BC Canada can I go to get a dog of my own to be certified? What do I need?

Thanks
ROB

You could also select and train your own!
I am about half way through training Jessie to do a 2 way sound alert.
Soon, I'll be putting together a video to help you train this task. Check out our how to blog! We are in BC!

You could also select and train your own!
I am about half way through training Jessie to do a 2 way sound alert.
Soon, I'll be putting together a video to help you train this task. Check out our how to blog! We are in BC!

Could you PM me as I have a few questions?

Yesterday I was contacted by another training organization that might help you. I think she said she was out of Burnaby but serves the Lower Mainland.
West Coast Assistance Teams 604 293-1211.

I am looking at buying my own dog and training it for at home only for now. I just cant find out what steps I need to do so I can get one in the place I rent. Some one told me I only need a doctors perscription for a home based dog that is begining training. Any trueth in that?

ROB

In Canada, there are many more regulations than the US. Check out my blog, post number 4 for the list of things an owner-trained dog needs to be certified in BC.
The province of BC regulates certification.

For me to bring a dog into an appartment I seen they require a doctors perscription. I can get that as my wife is type1 diabetic and I am hearing impaired. I was wondering if they might require it to be trained or if it could be in training?

For me to bring a dog into an appartment I seen they require a doctors perscription. I can get that as my wife is type1 diabetic and I am hearing impaired. I was wondering if they might require it to be trained or if it could be in training?

A dog can only be used as a service dog for only one person officially, although it may serve more than one person in the household. However, it is very hard on a dog to alert for two or more people.

By law, they only have to accept a dog that IS a service dog. It is up to the owners discression if they decide to allow a service dog-in-training. I would get that in writing before you get the dog so you know where you stand and the apartment owners do too. Sadly, less than 50% of dogs, even those professionally trained ever make it to certification status. Less of owner-trained do as well but those who own their own homes can take the time needed to finish certification if their dog takes longer. otherwsie the dog will need to find a new home or the owner can move out. Those from program have usually max 18 months to show they can do the job or they are taken out of the program.

I would find out what exactly your apartment owner's requires and get it in writing! To be certified in BC, the dog must be issued a gov't certificate and that entails the list on my blog post number 4. I suspect they will want proper BC gov't certification unless they are pet friendly anyway (allows cats etc). If you end up moving at some point, unless you are moving to your own home, you may be barred access if your dog is not certified.

If they allow a dog in training, they may require ongoing proof that you are indeed training your dog, especially if you are not working with an organization. If they decide they don't want dogs in their apt bldg or your training is taking too long, they can use the BC laws to keep non-certified dogs out. You need to feel them out.

Sadly, there are many cases of people trying to claim their dog is a service dog but they are really just pets. It would be nice if more apts were pet-friendly as it would amke it easier for those wanting to train their own service dog, but they aren't.

Here is a link to what can happen when your dog is not trained nor certified in BC.
Vancouver Island Assistance Dogs: 4A A Case for Certifying your Service Dog

I am hopping to get a smaller breed dog in terrier. I know there is one companion dog in our building at the moment. After not hearing a few fire alarm tests and one actual alarm, I have decided I need some help. I am not wanting to be able to take the dog everywhere just for home so I can stop sleeping with my hearing aids in.

I am hoping to get a smaller breed dog in terrier. I know there is one companion dog in our building at the moment. After not hearing a few fire alarm tests and one actual alarm, I have decided I need some help. I am not wanting to be able to take the dog everywhere just for home so I can stop sleeping with my hearing aids in.

You might be okay then in approaching your building manager/owner and asking what they require in the way of allowing a companion dog. Get it in writing. If the building chances owners/managers you want proof that you are allowed. Also, in case they change their policy down the road, you will have proof for a grandfather clause.

Good luck!

I have just posted a couple of posts on training one way sound alert (there is a sound you need to attend to!) and two way sound alerts (there is a sound and follow me to the source!) on my 'how to' blog (top link below).

Back