Question

ASLsTuDeNt2

Reaction score
I recently asked about if Deaf individuals view Interpreters as Oppressors, I was just curious as to if anyone feels or has had experiences where they thought, or they think that some interpreters are just in it for the money, and really dont have respect for the language.?

Thanks everyone

I recently asked about if Deaf individuals view Interpreters as Oppressors, I was just curious as to if anyone feels or has had experiences where they thought, or they think that some interpreters are just in it for the money, and really dont have respect for the language.?

Thanks everyone

I think they perform a valued service which is very respectable.

However, I do see interpreters wanting to become "friends" with deaf people for the sole purpose of furthering their career to be a little shady. Now, clearly, this happens in the real world everyday, but the difference is that it happens in a business setting.

So, the question is, can I look at a relationship I have with an interpreter as anything more than a business relationship? Anything more than say a gym instructor who tries to befriend me so I will join her class. I think the answer is that it really depends on the person, but to a higher degree because it's suspect. You won't see a doctor say to a patient I'd like to gain a friendship with someone who is ill so I can gain some valuable career knowledge.

So, the question is, can I look at a relationship I have with an interpreter as anything more than a business relationship? Anything more than say a gym instructor who tries to befriend me so I will join her class. I think the answer is that it really depends on the person, but to a higher degree because it's suspect. You won't see a doctor say to a patient I'd like to gain a friendship with someone who is ill so I can gain some valuable career knowledge.

Hopefully, he got the answer to his thoughts 7 years ago on this one. ;)

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I think it depends on the quality of relationships and the frequency of socializing. Some terps hang out at deaf socials all of the time and build strong relationships. If terps show up occasionally to get work, it becomes obvious. A terps has to stick around and prove herself as a friend. I can think of only 2 people off the top of my head that fit this category. CODAs have more credibility because they are with family members and have a long history with the Deaf community.

Back