Question to all Interpreters! pls help.

Robo-Terp

Reaction score
I have a question. It's about interpreting, of course. Specifically, it's about seeking clarification. I've noticed since working as a Video Relay Interpreter, that I've been getting A LOT of dialectic/style differences in ASL from my consumers. Naturally, it's something I expected. Not everyone signs the same, and not all regions have the same signs for things either. What I'm having difficult doing is clarifying these signs because sometimes they are signs I recognize but just have a different English meaning, like INCREASE and the english interpretation was "extra", or they sign DEGREE as in university degree to refer to temperatures. Argh! How do I seek clarification on these instances without sounding incompetent? Because it's not like I don't know what INCREASE means, right? Plus, time is a factor too. I don't want to give a lengthly script to my consumer what and why I need clarification. If I do, then I'm not only showing I'm incompetent but wasting their time too.

In these cases, you might need a CDI :) but in VRS setting that is not efficient to have one sitting around.

Don't worry about sounding incompetent. We can tell you are not up to par if you're not doing things well.... When you repeat the message in a different way and get confirmation that you are saying things correctly, the deaf consumer will be happy with you. But yeah, there are that few who will be frustrated.. Just tell them that you want to be as clear as possible and give them a smile.

I answered because I am an interpreter :)

In these cases, you might need a CDI :) but in VRS setting that is not efficient to have one sitting around.

Don't worry about sounding incompetent. We can tell you are not up to par if you're not doing things well.... When you repeat the message in a different way and get confirmation that you are saying things correctly, the deaf consumer will be happy with you. But yeah, there are that few who will be frustrated.. Just tell them that you want to be as clear as possible and give them a smile.

I answered because I am an interpreter :)

Great advice man. Thanks. Hope one day we get CDIs working alongside us in VRS settings. Forget innovations in VPs, new technology, etc...WE NEED CDIs!!!

Let me ask you. Do you feel in your opinion more Deaf people need to be educated of the interpreting process, especially the difficulties VIs may face that are out of their control due to complexities of the setting...and maybe due to the fact we have no preparation or background info?

You might want to increase your lag time. Extra is not a totally inappropriate translation for increase, as you know ASL and English do not correspond on a one to one basis. If you increase your lag time, you'll be better able to give a fluid message to the hearing caller. Other than that, it's really something that comes with time. I've been interpreting for 8 years and VRS exclusively for 3 years, and that fluidity just takes practice. I know it's not the answer you wanted, but it really does just take time. In a face to face situation, the hearing person expects there to be interpretation issues, but on the phone not so much, so you just have to do your best at fluidity. It will come with time.

And yes, education about what we do as interpreters would be great. Like, if you say don't announce, there WILL be confusion when lag time becomes a factor.

As a Hoh/Deaf ASLer - I'd much prefer the interpreter ask for clarification on something instead of "guess" the meaning. I expect that interpreters, especially VRS ones (who are taking calls from all over the country) are going to have the occasional regional sign issue or ASL-English word choice questions ... I'd rather have the opportunity to clarify the issue (which will likely cause me to make slight adjustments in my signing (sign choice, fingerspelling specific words etc) for the rest of the conversation as well which will benefit everyone :)

Great advice man. Thanks. Hope one day we get CDIs working alongside us in VRS settings. Forget innovations in VPs, new technology, etc...WE NEED CDIs!!!

Let me ask you. Do you feel in your opinion more Deaf people need to be educated of the interpreting process, especially the difficulties VIs may face that are out of their control due to complexities of the setting...and maybe due to the fact we have no preparation or background info?

Yeah, the Deaf can use some education in that, on top of many other things related to interpreting..

VRS is still a new thing in the community. It's only 8 years old.

Your question is simple yet complicated because we can discuss how they learned sign language. There aren't ASL classes all over like there is English... So that murks things quite a bit.

As a Hoh/Deaf ASLer - I'd much prefer the interpreter ask for clarification on something instead of "guess" the meaning. I expect that interpreters, especially VRS ones (who are taking calls from all over the country) are going to have the occasional regional sign issue or ASL-English word choice questions ... I'd rather have the opportunity to clarify the issue (which will likely cause me to make slight adjustments in my signing (sign choice, fingerspelling specific words etc) for the rest of the conversation as well which will benefit everyone :)
You're my favorite type of caller!! Someone who understands the interpreting process and it's complexities. Yet, I can appreciate how impatient people can get too. I'm not always patient myself. It's called being human.

You're my favorite type of caller!! Someone who understands the interpreting process and it's complexities. Yet, I can appreciate how impatient people can get too. I'm not always patient myself. It's called being human.

Thanks (now if only Canadians could use VRS...)

Part of my understanding - is that I grew up oral ... so I know all about being left to "guess".

Also, because I've had 'terps for my 2 years of theology/seminary university education I've learned the importance of being specific if you want/expect a specific ASL to English translation - even if it takes a bit longer :)

oh ... and as much as it would be great if it was true ... interpreters CAN'T read my mind and "know" what English word I want unless I actually TELL them (yeah - that means fingerspelling sometimes, or initializing signs that in "everyday life" I wouldn't initialize & use more "well known" signs for an English word instead of my "preferred sign" (that is less well known outside my area!)

Back