Question regarding wired/wifi networking

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Hi, for some of you who read/post in this Computers forum you know that I am in an IT program. This question is NOT related to my classes, but a real-life scenario. I feel stupid for asking this question but I simply don't know how to fix it ...

At my work, all computers are wired, including mine. I have been bringing in my laptop lately because I have programs on there (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) that my work computer doesn't have (they are buying it now! LOL) so I have been working off my laptop to create graphics projects.

Now, from my laptop, I can get wi-fi and can access the internet. However, I cannot access the server that our wired computers use. So if I want anything off the desktop computer at work for my laptop (like a file or logo), I've had to send it to myself through email and open it on the laptop, and vice versa.

I do have to log in on my desktop computer every morning at work. But I don't have to with the wi-fi. Is this why I can't access the work server? What do I need to do in order to access the work server from my laptop?

Thanks bunches!!!

What operating system is the server?

Do you need a login? This is most likely it. The server share directory possibly protected by user names, but you can most likely access it since you know your user/pass on the desktop

just go to start > run > \\servername
and enter username/password. Should be able to see the file list from there.

If you dunno the server name, can find out by going to properties on wherever you're copying files from it, but I'm not too sure what method you guys using.

I don't know either but I am sure I can find out. Thanks for the advice! :)

Back