question regarding understanding ASL better

rockoutloudgirl

Reaction score
ok so I can sign fine, but it's harder for me to understand someone signing to me, my brain just doesnt work that fast. how can i get better at reading signs?

ok so I can sign fine, but it's harder for me to understand someone signing to me, my brain just doesnt work that fast. how can i get better at reading signs?

Your brain has to learn how to do it. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice! :giggle:

- Watch videos on YouTube. I have made my own private playlist on my YT account and I save ASL videos there. Then when I go back later and re-watch them I find I can understand more signs than before.
- Use the "Quiz Me" section of ASLpro.com for fingerspelling AND for words/phrases. Mostly words, but there are a few phrases in there (everyday signs, religious signs & fingerspelling). It's multiple choice and you see if you can figure out what the sign is. For fingerspelling practice, I actually find this site to be much better; more settings to make it less frustrating.
- Get on a webcam with another person and only do sign (as much as you can) I've done that with a couple people here and it is such great fun!
- And of course, find local Deaf events to attend.

God Bless!

Back