Question on Deaf clubs

falconer07

Reaction score
I couldn't decide where to put this question, but I'm wondering why I always have to go up stairs to the second floor to get to Deaf clubs. At first, I thought that the Deaf club in Minneapolis was just weirdly designed but now that I've been out and about I noticed that they all have staircases. Why is this?!

No stairs at the one in Charleston, SC. :)

There's no stairs in Rochester, NY... or Dallas, TX. :dunno:

Your question is a weird one. I don't even know what you are talking about. I know Utah and Arizona have them on first floor. Perhaps, just a thought, in your area, they noticed Deafies need to exercise more often, so they put it on second floor? :dunno:

Chicago Club of the deaf (CCD) had very long staircases....
Thats where i used to live near for a few years

It's probably the best deaf club I've ever seen...
People are mixed with old, young,
high educated, low educated,
rich & poor
They opened every Fri and Sat nites
play cards or play billiard pool or
whatever I do NOT know
about nowadays if they still exist or not ?

i heard about Minnesota one of
the nicest clubs I haven't seen it yet

Last edited:
dayton, ohio have deaf club on first floor but yea i have been to minnesota .. teh deaf club in duluth and ur right they are always on 2nd floor lol

Where I am from, there are no stairs! five different deaf clubs I been to don't have it except for one.

falconer07 said:
I couldn't decide where to put this question, but I'm wondering why I always have to go up stairs to the second floor to get to Deaf clubs. At first, I thought that the Deaf club in Minneapolis was just weirdly designed but now that I've been out and about I noticed that they all have staircases. Why is this?!

:) The deaf club in St Paul, is over 100 years old. It was originally a house, belonging to the people who donated it to the deaf community. Large house, huh? So that kind of explains that one, an old, large, out of date house has many stairs. =D

But for many years they have lobbied (sp?) for an elevator. Old people, yanno :P They had a whole fundraising thing for it, but for whatever reason, it's not going to happen. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Thompson Hall is now (as it has been for many years) a historical landmark. In case you don't know, this means you cannot alter the outside, but you can make changes to the inside. Like for Tate Hall at MSAD, they completely renovated the inside, but left the outside untouched.

I hope that's not too far off topic. :aw:

i have been to thompson hall 2 times im my entire life.. o'well... i dunno what's the change in it.. since the last time i went was 4 or 5 years ago :x

but other deaf clubs seems like all are 1st floor... the one at NCU is on first floor :D

Knoxville (Tenn.) Chapter of the Tennessee Association of the Deaf room was located on the first-floor of a two-story building used by the United Way/Knoxville Area Community Center for the Deaf (KACCD). That building seemed to be a motel (or apartment) years ago but now they have moved to a one-story building I believe was at one time a doctor's office.

I don't know where all the deaf clubs here (Atlanta area) are located.

Staircase ? Its good for your legs-- you can exercise when u go up and go down. It is not like its bad for you.

pinkster said:
:) The deaf club in St Paul, is over 100 years old. It was originally a house, belonging to the people who donated it to the deaf community. Large house, huh? So that kind of explains that one, an old, large, out of date house has many stairs. =D

But for many years they have lobbied (sp?) for an elevator. Old people, yanno :P They had a whole fundraising thing for it, but for whatever reason, it's not going to happen. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Thompson Hall is now (as it has been for many years) a historical landmark. In case you don't know, this means you cannot alter the outside, but you can make changes to the inside. Like for Tate Hall at MSAD, they completely renovated the inside, but left the outside untouched.

I hope that's not too far off topic. :aw:

(Oh, Pls do NOT worry about whether
it's not too far off topic)
That's very interesting !! Thanks !!!
I assume that you're talking
about the Thompson Hall Deaf Club on
1824 Marshall Ave in St. Paul Right ?

Geez, I wish there are more people donated
their big houses for deaf clubs, at least one
for every state !

Last edited:
*checking off clubs in the StL area*...humm...*expanding search to Metro Illinois section*...nah...*clicking off western MO areas*...sorry. None on the second floor in eastern or central Missouri, but there is one in Kansas City, MO. Greater Kansas City Association of the Deaf has a building with two floors - the kitchen/dining area is upstairs, and the dart/pool/bar area is on the first floor.

I do know that Greater St. Louis Association of the Deaf is building a new hall - all one level. St. Louis Metro Round Table Representatives on Deafness, Inc., has a office, on the first floor. The other clubs uses other buildings when needed, and most have been on the first floor too. ...wait a min...

St. Louis Bell Club does use Kirkwood Community Center - gyms on first floor, and meeting rooms on second and third floors...there's an elevator...so sowwie, folks.

Smiles!

One possible reason why these clubs seem to always be with stairs is because if you wanted a ground floor place, it costs much more money than second or third floors.

Exercise is important anyway so make the best out of it if you see long winding steps up to a club :)

hmmm...I didn't noticed that most Deaf clubs has it on 2nd or 3rd floor but in Ohio it's on the first floor....I think every place is different! ;)

Who goes to their deaf clubs?

I used to go to one for children. There is an adult's deaf club near where I live, but I don't go to it, only for special ocassions (like Bonfire Night) instead we all meet up in a pub every Thursdays, and call it deaf club, it's great fun!

Raging Quiet said:
Who goes to their deaf clubs?

I used to go to one for children. There is an adult's deaf club near where I live, but I don't go to it, only for special ocassions (like Bonfire Night) instead we all meet up in a pub every Thursdays, and call it deaf club, it's great fun!

do you mean Victoria pub?

down here in Denver they have only flat first floor ..

yeah i have been at thompas hall .. i consider it big WOW when i first visit there and i have been there for about twenty times .. and i wish that Colorado have that one too and nice park space but i know it is kinda of small .. but Denver deaf club is horrible parking allot

in Chciago there is i believe three different deaf clubs maybe i am wrong but i haven't touch two of them especially CWAD (western chicago ) they always move round different location to use like hotel or bar whatever it is ..

I don't attend any deaf club. I just have better things to do rather than listening to people talking bad about anyone they dislike.

Back