question on becoming an interpreter.

Ariakkas

Reaction score
i've done a little research, and from what i have been able to find...theres really no "degree" in sign language intepreting. i've seen intepreter training programs at local colleges, but from the research i've done, thats not enough to prepare a person to go straight into intepreting.

so how do you get up to the level in signing needed to become an intepreter? is it just a matter of, after you have been signing for 10 years your good enough to take a certification test? do you take ASL classes at a college?

i sign everyday, but i most certainly do not meet the level of signing needed to intepret for things such as classrooms or dr. appointments and i certainly couldn't pass a certification test...so my question is...how do i get there?

Many colleges do offer programs in ASL interpretting, that are aimed to help you be prepared to take the certification test. I think its different for each individual, concerning when they are ready to take the exam. Of course its not going to be as easy as, complete this program, and you're ready. I plan on attending Perimeter College in Atlanta Georgia within the next year. They offer what looks to be a fairly concise ASL interpreting program, but I doubt it will fully prepare me for the exam, but no doubt will absolutely help me. They boasts that 100 percent of the people who attend their program pass the RID's exam.

Ariakkas said:
i've done a little research, and from what i have been able to find...theres really no "degree" in sign language intepreting.

There is a degree. It's an associate's, sometimes an associate of arts (AA or an associate in science (AS), depending on the program. Some schools also offer bachelor's programs in interpreting.

If what you mean is, a degree in interpreting doesn't necessarily mean you are ready to be a professional interpreter, that is true. The best programs have mentorships where you work with a skilled and experienced interpreter in a real-world setting (with the permission of all participants, of course!). New interpreters often begin their careers in the educational settings, which has both positive and negative aspects to it.

The best thing to do, I think, is as much volunteer interpreting as you can. This way you are contributing to the community and getting valuable practice, and you don't have the same kind of responsibility that a professional interpreter does as far as your skill level -- as long as you make sure the people you are working with understand that you are volunteering in order to gain experience.

I received a great deal of excellent practice by doing volunteer interpreting for extremely patient and encouraging Deaf people before I started my professional career, and that plus my ITP mentorship were possibly the most important parts of my training.

Isn't there an interp program offered at Gallaudet? Though hearing people can also be undergrad students at Gallaudet nowadays after they go through a screening process, I believe.

Interpretrator said:
There is a degree. It's an associate's, sometimes an associate of arts (AA or an associate in science (AS), depending on the program. Some schools also offer bachelor's programs in interpreting.

If what you mean is, a degree in interpreting doesn't necessarily mean you are ready to be a professional interpreter, that is true. The best programs have mentorships where you work with a skilled and experienced interpreter in a real-world setting (with the permission of all participants, of course!). New interpreters often begin their careers in the educational settings, which has both positive and negative aspects to it.

The best thing to do, I think, is as much volunteer interpreting as you can. This way you are contributing to the community and getting valuable practice, and you don't have the same kind of responsibility that a professional interpreter does as far as your skill level -- as long as you make sure the people you are working with understand that you are volunteering in order to gain experience.

I received a great deal of excellent practice by doing volunteer interpreting for extremely patient and encouraging Deaf people before I started my professional career, and that plus my ITP mentorship were possibly the most important parts of my training.
That was pretty much the same path for me.
I got an AA degree from an ITP, did a lot of volunteer interpreting, used mentoring and observation hours, attended silent dinners, socialized within the Deaf community, and attended every available workshop.

TX has a state cert test called BEI (Basic Eval for Interpreters) with three parts: Code of Ethics, Receptive, Expressive. It's the same process for all five levels.

The ITP at my school requires graduates to have passed the BEI Level 1 test before giving them the Assoc of Applied Science in ASL Interpreting option. I've heard most ITPs don't have the same requirement. One of the last classes is a 250 hour internship. The exit exam is tougher than any Calculus final. Considering the work environment/situation, I absolutely agree with the high standards.

Off topic - Reba, I love the new avatar. When was that pic taken?

Last edited:
My sister was my interpreter at my high school. She did not have a license. I convinced people at the meeting because she is my sister. It was stupid long story ...some people at meeting were really jerk. She finally got the job because there were no provide interpeters in my town especially no insurance benefit. It was nice of her to help me at my school. She worked very hard and made little money. That was a long time ago.

My opinion is that anyone who is interested to learn sign language should not required to get a license. It is the only way for them to take sign language class for a couple of months, and then take a final test to see how they do well in sign. After they passed the test, all they have to do to receive their certification. What's wrong with that?

Although I don't think you can get a BA in Interpreting, you can get one in Deaf Studies. Interpreting is one of the few fields left where a college education isn't a must, although at least in CA, but 2012, all interpreters must have a BA in something, just to show they have some knowledge in something. I think the law is also an AA by 2007. Really, all the classes in the world won't help you as much as simply going out and associating with deaf people. Luckily, that's free (usually), and it works well.

signer16 said:
Although I don't think you can get a BA in Interpreting, you can get one in Deaf Studies. Interpreting is one of the few fields left where a college education isn't a must, although at least in CA, but 2012, all interpreters must have a BA in something, just to show they have some knowledge in something.
True. I have an AA in interpreting but my prior BS was in political science. Yet, the BS fulfills the degree requirement.

webexplorer said:
After they passed the test, all they have to do to receive their certification. What's wrong with that?

If the interpreter does not have some kind of national certification, most places will give an in-house test to see if the interpreter is up to their standards. Different employers have different requirements.

Question for Reba or Interpretrator

Interpretrator said:
If the interpreter does not have some kind of national certification, most places will give an in-house test to see if the interpreter is up to their standards. Different employers have different requirements.

I've heard of RID and BEI (TX eval system), but are you saying that someone can work for an agency without having state or national certification? I don't understand how given that agency's have liability insurance and all terps must meet some fairly strict standards to go out and work.

eh this is intresting in all aspect i'm too fried at the moment to even comphrend my own brain here, give me 24 hrs i ll explain all the info abt the RID/NAD requiste and the new laws that we have to go thru u have until 2006 to complete the NAD/RID testing then u can avoid getting your BA/BS or AA but after 2006 yr best start enrolling in classes for deaf related circuluim or ITP program which enables you to get your AA and then ur BA... Good luck all ..... i'll go into full details as soon as im functionable.

( got a major stuffy nose right now so i might not be making sense sorry all)

ITPjohn said:
I've heard of RID and BEI (TX eval system), but are you saying that someone can work for an agency without having state or national certification? I don't understand how given that agency's have liability insurance and all terps must meet some fairly strict standards to go out and work.
There are various requirements.

Interpreters can work in various settings within each of the states. Each agency or individual hiring the terp has different requirements. I can only describe my state's situation. South Carolina does not yet have state level license requirements. However, school districts within the state have various requirements. There is no consistency here. Private terp providers (companies and "freelance" or private practice) have their own requirements. Then, within each "agency" terps of various certifications or skill levels are assigned to jobs that match their levels, and are paid according to their level.

Basically, in SC, no two terps have the same requirements, or receive the same pay.

I know that some other states are more organized.

ITPjohn said:
...are you saying that someone can work for an agency without having state or national certification?

In California at least: yes. The agencies I know of that hire interpreters without national certification give a test that is evaluated by Deaf consumers, and the interpreter is then placed in their in-house hierarchy. Say level 1 to level 5. Level 1 would be sent out on "trainee" type jobs. To reach level 3 you must be nationally certified. Something like that.

It is some agencies' way of encouraging new interpreters to work in "friendly" environments and help them improve and become ready for national or other official certification. From what I have experienced and seen, the system works well. Level 1 interpreters are not being sent out to do legal work or anything like that, but are gaining freelance experience which is often hard to get for new interpreters.

I forgot to mention that our interpreting company also requests feedback from the Deaf consumers in order to guarantee satisfaction with their service. Certified or not, the bottom line is customer satisfaction. The terp gives each Deaf consumer a self-addressed post card for comments. It can be filled in and mailed anonymously to the office. Also, the consumer can make requests for specific terps, if time allows. We also do a lot of team interpreting. If a terp is not qualified, it quickly becomes apparent. Our hours are monitored, so tardiness is also tracked. Interpreting skills, professional behavior, broad knowledge base in many topics and settings, and adherence to terp ethics are monitored and reviewed.

Our company has had some highly certified terps who didn't "make the grade" with consumers, and some uncertified terps who are in great demand by consumers. Some terps are wonderful in the field, but terrible at test taking.

There is no "one-size-fits-all" terp. Certifications set good basic standards but they are not the be-all, end-all to terp qualifications.

Our state legislature has been considering interpreter licensure for several years but so far no decision.

Greetings all!
newbie here..was reading the thread and thought I'd add my 2cents. I graduated from a 4 year ITP program in January 2005. I recently received my diploma (BA) and it does not specify ASL Interpreter Training Program, etc. However, ALL of the classes I took at Columbia College (in Chicago) were ASL, Deaf Culture, Linguistics, Interpreting classes(monologues/dialogues), etc...
I received my AA from a community college so all the pre-req's were out of the way when I entered Columbia.
Just another train of thought on the same subject.

Reba said:
There is no "one-size-fits-all" terp. Certifications set good basic standards but they are not the be-all, end-all to terp qualifications.

Bingo!

I agree!

Hi Meg,
I live in Southern California and they don't require a RID cerificate.
I'm an interperter myself, and I've known ASL now for 31 yrs.
I got my sign language cerificate from a local communty college.
I don't know what your state requires to be an interperter, but good luck!
Margie
Dir. of Communication Serivces
OCDAC

Back