Question on assisting deaf

AjSaylor

Reaction score
Ok. So I work security at a night club in connecticut. Last night a group of deaf guys walked in to the club. Now I know a little sign from class and aslpro.

My question is...In Deaf culture how does someone like me, a basic hearing ASL student go about letting them know that I know enough sign to help them out if they should need it? I mean I don't want to stand there and help them order their drinks (they wrote them down, standard operating procedure im sure).

Is it rude to offer you help if they dont ask for it. I mean I dont go lifting the wheel chair bound, when there are other options they can use.

I dont know if I explained that well enough. But someone please try to answer. Thanks.

I would let them know, that I knew a little sign by saying hello in sign language so they acknowledge I know some sign in case if they need some help and they will come to me. Hope this help you some. Hopefully they were behave well at the night club last night. :)

I would let them know, that I knew a little sign by saying hello in sign language so they acknowledge I know some sign in case if they need some help and they will come to me. Hope this help you some. Hopefully they were behave well at the night club last night. :)

That is exactly what I was going to say. Usually catching their eye and signing "hi" is enough to get the message across. To walk up and offer assistance simply because you noticed someone is deaf is a bit too patronizing.

You might be surprised at how resourceful and self-reliant a lot of deaf people are these days. ;)

That is exactly what I was going to say. Usually catching their eye and signing "hi" is enough to get the message across. To walk up and offer assistance simply because you noticed someone is deaf is a bit too patronizing.

yeah I feel same way when people noticed I am deaf, then they would say hi and let me know they know little signs. So I would not feel offended if they invaded my space and tell me I took this ASL classes and go on and on. I do not even know them but if they just say hello or hi then I will ask them question instead of them come to me and pour into me.

yeah I feel same way when people noticed I am deaf, then they would say hi and let me know they know little signs. So I would not feel offended if they invaded my space and tell me I took this ASL classes and go on and on. I do not even know them but if they just say hello or hi then I will ask them question instead of them come to me and pour into me.

Exactly. If someone just says 'Hi" or "Hello", then the deaf person knows automatically that they recognize deafness, and that they are giving a clue that they know some sign, anyway. That gives the deaf person the option of approaching them.

Now, if I saw a deaf individual having a very difficult time, like maybe trying to get across that there was an emergency or something, then I would probably walk up and sign, "Need help?" But if they said "No." I would walk away.

I was at my nephews house one evening when a deaf woman came to his door. She was the mother of a friend of my nephew's son. She was looking for her son. My nephew knows quite a bit of sign, but this woman was upset and signing very quickly, and he was having trouble understanding her. So I stepped in to interpret. But that was as much to help my hearing nephew as it was to help her. What people don't seem to realize that interpretation is not just for the deaf individual's benefit...it is also for the hearing person's benefit who does not understand sign.

Exactly. If someone just says 'Hi" or "Hello", then the deaf person knows automatically that they recognize deafness, and that they are giving a clue that they know some sign, anyway. That gives the deaf person the option of approaching them.

Now, if I saw a deaf individual having a very difficult time, like maybe trying to get across that there was an emergency or something, then I would probably walk up and sign, "Need help?" But if they said "No." I would walk away.

I was at my nephews house one evening when a deaf woman came to his door. She was the mother of a friend of my nephew's son. She was looking for her son. My nephew knows quite a bit of sign, but this woman was upset and signing very quickly, and he was having trouble understanding her. So I stepped in to interpret. But that was as much to help my hearing nephew as it was to help her. What people don't seem to realize that interpretation is not just for the deaf individual's benefit...it is also for the hearing person's benefit who does not understand sign.
True, honestly I do not need an interpters most of time but when it comes to important things alike at accident scene then good luck to them and me. Communicate barrier between us. It was good thing my husband was with me when we got in car accident and he knows sign language and for their benefit he tells what I said.

True, honestly I do not need an interpters most of time but when it comes to important things alike at accident scene then good luck to them and me. Communicate barrier between us. It was good thing my husband was with me when we got in car accident and he knows sign language and for their benefit he tells what I said.

Yeah, it is good that your husband was there. I know that I would be appreciative in that situation to whoever would help. But for someone to just walk up and assume that a deaf person needs help just because they are deaf is, to me, insulting. I'd be like a 3 year old that says, "Do it myself!!" when mommy or daddy tries to help them with something they don't need help with.

I'm not one of those strong, silent types who spurn all offers of assistance. Several were right that eye-contact while signing "Hello" or fingerspelling "Hi" lets me know my deaf condition is acknowledged. If it's from an employee in an establishment, it usually goes unsaid that help is available if I need it.

I've even had some lift the closed hand on the open hand and then draw a question mark so that I'm sure of a resourse. I appreciate it and always sign "Thanks."

Likewise, my pet peeve of someone holding up lots of thumbs or getting several F hands in a row lets me know that little help can be expected from the clueless.

You might be surprised at how resourceful and self-reliant a lot of deaf people are these days. ;)

Aint that the truth! The sad thing is that too often the general public finds that hard to believe.

Thank you everyone who answered. I'm sorry if it came off as if I thought deaf people were not self reliant that is far from the case. But thanks again. I always have a million questions about Deaf culture and deafness, I am happy there is AllDeaf. It's been a good place to find the help I need.

When I'm with others who are signing, it does bother me when some stranger walks up to me and signs... "Hi, I know sign language!" Well, duh... if you're signing right now, then you obviously know enough to get your point across right now. So, there's not really any need to say, "I know sign language!"

It's better to just walk up and introduce yourself like you would when talking to another hearing person. You don't need to bring up your experience unless they ask you. If you're still learning and misunderstand what another person said, you can ask to repeat and also add that you're still learning. That would be a better approach than bluntly saying you know sign language. That's like saying, "Hey, I know sign language... so your conversation is no longer private to me! Bwahahaha! *evil cackling*"

As for helping out, it's best to leave it alone... unless it seems to be getting out of hand and you feel it's absolutely necessary to help out.

I've done this before in the past. For instance, I'm in line at Taco Bell. There's a deaf guy in front of me who's being a stubborn jerk. The cashier can't understand him, so he offers a paper and pen to the deaf guy. The guy rudely rejects and continues to give the cashier a hard time. I don't like that attitude. I'd stay out of it. However, if this deaf guy was like everyone else... but the cashier was struggling to understand (forgot to offer pen & paper)... and the deaf person has this puzzled look as if he wish he could understand, then you could offer to help... "Excuse me? Would you like me to interpret for you? (Would you like me to assist?)" If he rejects, then leave it at that. :)

Back