question from a student

aslstudent5

Reaction score
Hi all!
My teacher has asked us to gather further information on others opinions about the "Deaf Child Area" signs. Do you like them/not like them? Anybody? :mrgreen:

aslstudent5 said:
Hi all!
My teacher has asked us to gather further information on others opinions about the "Deaf Child Area" signs. Do you like them/not like them? Anybody? :mrgreen:

there is a deaf kid that lives in the neighborhood next to me, and they have a Deaf Child Area sign. i know that i drive a little slower, and im more alert when i drive through that neighborhood.

OhioRelayGuy said:
i have never seen a sign like that , anybody have a picture ??

Here is a picture taken by AD's own prostock19.

ns5002_warsaw_312_011505.jpg.98240.jpg

It saved my life.

I grew up in an area where there are a lot of parking lots (no, not apartment complex... condo/townhouses complexs) so I usually bicycled around with neighborhood kids and whatnot.

I do have vivid memories of cars almost running me down-- and their angry faces as they shouted at me but I couldn't understand them. I haven't mastered the lipreading skills (I was only 6-8 years old...!) My Deaf friend got hit and run over by a car and got a cast for his broken leg when I was seven years old. This alarmed my mother and appealed to the city coucil to put one near the main street.
After that, I think it saved a lot lives who rode on the streets because our street is a down-hill so a lot of cars just turned onto at a high speed which put everybody at risk (even a jogger!) so the second they saw the sign, they braked and looked around... Today, people still braked and pulled into our street carefully.

I don't hate it. I liked it.
It is like spreading awareness about Deafness. Because the neighbors will wonder: "Which one of those brats is Deaf? All of them look normal!" You know? It still stands to-day even though I am overgrown for bicycling around and too old to be called a "child." There are *still* Deaf kids (in middle-school or nearby high school) in my community so the sign will be here indefinitely.

One drawback about the sign: when a Deaf visitor/resident saw this sign, they set out on a hunt to find ME. I had some Deaf strangers coming to my house and said: "I saw the 'Deaf Child' sign so I asked around my friends for who lived in this area, and finally I found out that where you lived so I want to come by and say hi and that I live *over there*"
... I was like : "oh ok. good. see you around." They were much OLDER so I was like: who cares-- I was a teenager who just wanted to hang out with teenaged friends, not adults. Oh well. :)

There are some problems with the sign.

1. After the Deaf child moves away, the sign is still there forever.

2. A false sense of security for the parents of the Deaf child.

3. You can't put up a sign every place the child goes (grandma's house, best friend's house, the park, etc.)

4. Hearing children are just as much at risk as Deaf children. Just because a kid has the physical ability to hear doesn't mean that he WILL hear a car, or that he WILL get out of the way of danger. Kids are kids, and they can be reckless and not paying attention.

Recently in our neighborhood a hearing child was killed by a garbage truck. The child was on a bicycle behind the truck. While the truck backed up, it was loudly beeping its warning, but it ran over the child. The child never moved out of the way.

A passive sign is not a substitute for teaching children to play safely, and for adult supervision.

Back